Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

He made several movies after his tenure on the show - one of them Children of the Damned is a cult classic, another was the BAFTA-nominated Live Now Pay Later. He also appeared in another three British series were he played the lead - The Informer, The Adventures of Don Quick and The Lotus Eaters, so his IMDB entries are quite impressive.

He was also in The Hill with Sean Connery and I'd forgotten he was in Roman Polanski's Repulsion. I read too that he was considered for the Michael Caine part in Alfie.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:No, he was drinking on The Avengers too. He just liked drinking.

well...that ain't such an bad thing...I like drinking too...I guess it boils down to whether or not--one controls it, instead the other way around.

goood career...despite the roadblocks..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:No, he was drinking on The Avengers too. He just liked drinking.

well...that ain't such an bad thing...I like drinking too...I guess it boils down to whether or not--one controls it, instead the other way around.

goood career...despite the roadblocks..
As Churchill said, drink is a good servant but a poor master. I say that as one who has struggled.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote: He was also in The Hill with Sean Connery and I'd forgotten he was in Roman Polanski's Repulsion. I read too that he was considered for the Michael Caine part in Alfie.
I am a big fan of John Wyndham, and the Midwich Cuckoos was a seminal (no pun intended) SF work so the 2 B&W films derived from it are noteworthy.

"The Hill" rocked my world and gave me an early insight to the Army world, my mum (ex-military policewoman) highly rated it, so I watched it with interest, and I got to see how true to life it was later on in the Ministry of Defence. A must-see. Beautifully made.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
He and Patrick used to be drinking buddies. There's a very funny anecdote about the day Pat quit and switched to prune juice. :lol:
Do tell! Unless it's scatological of course. Prunes do have "properties"!
Col Mustard
Nutshell

Post by Col Mustard »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:

As Churchill said, drink is a good servant but a poor master. I say that as one who has struggled.

Love this quote. It's very true! Love Winston Churchill too! I took a pictue of his statue in London. Which park is it in again? It's a very lonely pose.

Sandi
"What fresh hell is this?" D. Parker
Mr S
Thingumajig

Post by Mr S »

My favourite Winston quote....
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"

and I'll probably not quote this properly, but there was a female politician who told Churchill that if he was her husband she'd give him poison. Churchill replied, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

Brilliant!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Mr S wrote:My favourite Winston quote....

and I'll probably not quote this properly, but there was a female politician who told Churchill that if he was her husband she'd give him poison. Churchill replied, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

Brilliant!
Churchill delivered one of the best put downs of all time to Lady Astor when she informed him he was drunk. "Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober."
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

I watched 'The Hill' last night. Ian's portrayal of a cold, merciless military prison guard was exceptional. There was a scene where he and the CO were having a drinking contest and Ian is literally falling down drunk. Shades of reality?

Sue 8)
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:
Mr S wrote:My favourite Winston quote....

Brilliant!
Churchill delivered one of the best put downs of all time to Lady Astor when she informed him he was drunk. "Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober."
the guy had an endless amount of great quotes...of course, read about him in history course...and years later, saw many programs on him and his era.

how is he remembered or viewed today ?