Emmapeeler on the Antiques Roadshow

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Do we know what stores sold Emmapeelers? Were they ever seen in a picture or featured in newspaper adverts or in old Grattan catlogues? Anyone ever remember seeing them back in the day?

There are lots of examples of Corgi/Denys Fisher toys and merchandise of the Avengers on eBay and such but no clobber that I can see.

Didn't Diana once raise the roof when Cyd Child had to tell her she'd be wearing her leather suit for the fight in You Have Just Been Murdered?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Do we know what stores sold Emmapeelers? Were they ever seen in a picture or featured in newspaper adverts or in old Grattan catlogues? Anyone ever remember seeing them back in the day?

There are lots of examples of Corgi/Denys Fisher toys and merchandise of the Avengers on eBay and such but no clobber that I can see.

Didn't Diana once raise the roof when Cyd Child had to tell her she'd be wearing her leather suit for the fight in You Have Just Been Murdered?
There have been examples of Avengers licensed fashion from the sixties on ebay--usually minidresses with coats and stockings and such. They always go for a mint. I've never come across an Emmapeeler, though.

I think Diana was upset because she thought Cyd deserved to have a costume of her own instead of having to trade of with her. Was that how it went? I remember the story, but not the details.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Yes, sounds about right. Diana asked her what she was wearing and she said something like, "I hate to tell you, but what you've got on!" and Diana said "We'll see about that!" Again from memory.

It was a cracking interview with Cyd. 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dunno what this is I just came across - is there a programme called 'Fake or Fortune'?

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... le_Dancer/

ARTS: Fake or Fortune?
On: BBC 1 HD (108)
Date: Sunday 16th September 2012 (Already shown)
Time: 18:30 to 19:30 (1 hour long)

Degas and the Little Dancer. Series 1, episode 3.
Journalist Fiona Bruce teams up with art expert Philip Mould to investigate mysteries behind paintings.

Inheriting a work of art by one of the great Impressionist masters should be a joy, but for Patrick Rice it was a mixed blessing. His small oil painting depicting a ballet dancer on stage has always been thought to be a work by Edgar Hilaire Degas.

Unfortunately, since the 1970s, experts have not agreed. The painting, which could be worth around half a million pounds if it is a Degas, is currently worth £200. In a last ditch attempt to discover the truth, Patrick and his son Jonathan ask Fiona Bruce and Philip Mould to handle the case.

Although bought as a Degas from a reputable London dealer in 1945 by Patrick's father, the painting, titled Danseuse Bleue et Contrebasses, failed to make the official record of Degas, the catalogue raisonne.

(Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, 2011, 3 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=254351

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Just saw this episode on an edited replay of the British Antiques Roadshow on American PBS, and now I know why the lead british detective on "Death in Paradise" was so keen to catch a glimpse of Antiques Roadshow!

But in all seriousness... in the American version of Antiques Roadshow, experts usually show why an item is believed to be authentic or forgeries before they show the price. In the USA edit of this show, the Emmapeeler is only shown at the end, with no indication that they checked it for authenticity other than showing a photo of Diana Rigg in the same (or similar costume).

Is there a longer edit of the Roadshow that shows an expert authenticating the outfit?
TheCountess
Thingumajig

Post by TheCountess »

Frankymole wrote:It looks to me like it's a replacement zip, with black material instead of white, which makes the "stripe" appear less prominent. In the episode's photo in the article, Emma is show wearing the suit (with white zip) and the strip is the same width as the ones on the arms. This still seems to be the case in the modern Fiona Bruce picture.

How does that belt do up??
If this is a genuine catsuit from 'The Avengers', I agree about it being an improper zipper replacement.
As for the belt, I believe this was before Velcro, so my only thoughts are that it could be adjusted with a series of small hooks or snaps. If that's the case, they would have been placed on the backside of the belt (facing the body). That way, it would remain seamlessly hidden to viewers, but still allow any adjustments to be made by the person wearing them. At least that's my best guess.
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

If this is the same one that was brought along to the Avengers 50th anniversary celebrations, It's possible it's genuine, as I was able to compare it to one of the mass produced one's that were sold through fashion houses in the 60's. (I have several in different colours). This has stirrups as the one in the series did, the mass market ones didn't, the fabric had the right feel of age to it, but I seem to recall the provenance was a little sketchy to say the least. Cyd Child didn't seem overly convinced it was an original either, though she did say it might have been, when she looked at it.
The mass market ones appear to be near identical apart from the lack of label and addition of stirrups to this alleged genuine one.
The belts do indeed fastion by popers on the inside.

http://mirage-ents.co.uk/museum/?p=4511

This link should take you to a couple of photos of the mass market catsuit.
Though strickly speaking the site these are on has not yet gone live as it were.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

why bother wrote:If this is the same one that was brought along to the Avengers 50th anniversary celebrations, It's possible it's genuine, as I was able to compare it to one of the mass produced one's that were sold through fashion houses in the 60's. (I have several in different colours). This has stirrups as the one in the series did, the mass market ones didn't, the fabric had the right feel of age to it, but I seem to recall the provenance was a little sketchy to say the least. Cyd Child didn't seem overly convinced it was an original either, though she did say it might have been, when she looked at it.
The mass market ones appear to be near identical apart from the lack of label and addition of stirrups to this alleged genuine one.
The belts do indeed fastion by popers on the inside.

http://mirage-ents.co.uk/museum/?p=4511

This link should take you to a couple of photos of the mass market catsuit.
Though strickly speaking the site these are on has not yet gone live as it were.
Thank you sooo much for this link. Do you know where they are still selling these catsuits if at all in the mass market? Many thanks! 8)
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

These haven't been availible new since the 60's. I do know a dealer who has a couple of these original 1960's mass market ones for sale, but they are in the region of £900.
They are very rare. People used them and when they wore out through them.
You may be able to pick up one of the Miss Selfridge catsuits produced when the film came out in 1998, for around the £30 to £40 price range, they came in black or red, but these too are very difficult to locate nowadays.