Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm torn about that. On the one hand, yes I agree. You cannot ever replicate a TV show with the same impact that The Avengers had in the same way. The same can be said for many of the classic shows.

That's why I would opt for a series with some, or all, the qualities of The Avengers. One foot in a 'never-neverland of tea and honey, Rupert Brooke and bowler hatted England and the other in a darker distorted place with queer goings on. And call it something else.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

MRotten wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There are lots of ways you could go. The worst possible direction was what they did in 1997 - throw $80m into the mix making it a big budget picture. There was no need to do that, this isn't Star Trek.

It should have been a very retro, very small scale indie film if anything. No star names, no stunt casting, just unknown actors who were right for the parts.

My favourite idea for a remake is on the radio and a series of Big Finish CDs and downloads.
.....yes, and in monochrome! That would have been the clincher. Alas, a low budget indie film would have been interesting, but instead we got the monstrosity that Warner Bros. cooked up. Sorry to spoil anyone's liking the film, but come on, The Avengers movie stank to high heaven in nearly every way. I liked some of the visuals, but everything else about it reeked.

I very nearly included black and white funnily enough - and you'll get no argument with me over the 98 movie! :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

MRotten wrote:
Allard wrote:You can't remake the Avengers, because it was to much part of it's era. If you want to make something as good, you have too make something that is to today what the Avengers was to the 1960s.
Today? People walking around in terrible clothes and flashing their tattoos? No thanks.
Tattoos are so last decade. Even Goths/Emos are getting them removed/not getting them in the first place. It's all about Masai-style subdermal implants now (or so my First Aid trainer says).
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Remaking the Avengers?

Post by Frankymole »

bobbysteed wrote:I think they could make a Avenger's Movie and even bring back The Series. Rachel Stirling, Diana Rigg's Daughter could play Emma Peel. She is a good likeness of her mother. It would be Steed's role that would be hard to fill. It's definitly time to bring back The Avenger's. They have such Rubbish on The Telly these days. I hardly ever watch The Telly. They have really run out of Ideas in Hollywood and Borhamwood. Idiotic shows like Can You Dance? or a Crime Dramas and Hospital Shows. It's like they don't want you to dream no more or have a imagination. Mindless Shows like Friends or Seinfeld, we are bombarded with. God Forbid they put on a Adventure Series, Spy Program or Sci-FI. It usually gets pulled off a year later. Like Life on Mars. Well enough of my ranting, Bobby :D
Well Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes did last for five seasons altogether in Britain, and were critically-acclaimed, but I take your point!
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote:
Allard wrote:You can't remake the Avengers, because it was to much part of it's era. If you want to make something as good, you have too make something that is to today what the Avengers was to the 1960s.
Today? People walking around in terrible clothes and flashing their tattoos? No thanks.
Tattoos are so last decade. Even Goths/Emos are getting them removed/not getting them in the first place. It's all about Masai-style subdermal implants now (or so my First Aid trainer says).
myself, an old geezer..59....heh heh heh! have never seen so many
tatoos on young people...some are very tasteful...(small) I've seen a few that cover a huge amount of body real estate...at work, this guy has
his arms covered in tatoos, and his shins....whoa !

i wonder how some of them will look, when they hit my age, or in their
early 70's ?

I did once see a girl with a tatoo of Mrs.Peel on her shoulder...

i stood there in slack jaw amazement....
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote:
If only it were true. I live in Hollywood and tattoo parlors are everywhere. Just as bad are camouflage shorts. Yuck. It's like people want to look disgusting.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Well, be careful what you wish for because Diana Rigg has agreed to return to the role of Mrs Peel, updated for a modern audience.

Filming begins in the Autumn but I can reveal this exclusive promo pic ...

Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Well, be careful what you wish for because Diana Rigg has agreed to return to the role of Mrs Peel, updated for a modern audience.

Filming begins in the Autumn but I can reveal this exclusive promo pic ...

I will of course believe that the day I decide to wear curlers in my hair to work!
Vic Flange
Nutshell

Post by Vic Flange »

Totally agree, you could not capture the atmosphere and feeling of the original, we all saw what a balls up the film was!.......There is enough out there to keep us amused for ever! :wink:
Last Watched:Super Secret Cypher Snatch
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Vic Flange wrote:
Totally agree, you could not capture the atmosphere and feeling of the original, we all saw what a balls up the film was!.......There is enough out there to keep us amused for ever! :wink:
you can never go home again....