Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

From what I gather, Rigg prefers the challenge of the stage. An actor really is tested there, unlike other mediums where retakes are common with long, drawn out days on the set; lots of sitting around, waiting to be called. Stage work allows the actor to control the setting. It's sink or swim, and Rigg probably likes it that way. The stage fright and wondering if the lines will be remembered is all part of the allure. Also there's the live audience, with their approval or, gasp, disapproval.
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

That's a major reason why she loves doing theatre- live audience. Instant feedback.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

My impression, rightly or wrongly, was that she did as she chose without a particular regard to establishing a career or not - more like a person who lived life to live life, as opposed to many modern people who pursue fame as their major endeavor. I'm sure the regret she mentions is she realizes it was there for the taking, but for her it's the path not taken.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I think it is a combination of issues.

1) Film choices on her part. They are a mixed bag at best. A film like The Hospital is hardly a vehicle that would be considered a break-though performance that would lead to bigger opportunities

2) Compatibility. I am a big fan of Rigg and will jump at any chance to see her perform. However I find that she comes across better in theater and tv than on the big screen. This has nothing to do with her acting ability. There are actors and there are movie stars. Sometimes you get lucky and someone is both. Movie stars have an undefinable quality and presence that comes across the big screen

3) Typecasting. This probably had at least some effect. Being Emma Peel is something people still define her as even 45 years later. Imagine what it was like back in 1969. It seems obvious they gave her a fight scene in OHMSS just exploit that perception. How often would we see her cast as someone as wounded or vulnerable as Tracy. Even in the film she didn't stay damaged all that long
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Dan wrote:True - and Hitchcock preferred blonds anyway.

Yes he did. Honor Blackman would have made a great Hitchcock heroine.
yes,,as well as Diana..both of em..never had the real good luck in landing meaty parts..however, Diana's had some pretty good ones..like OHMSS,
Hospital, etc
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

frank wrote: 3) Typecasting. This probably had at least some effect. Being Emma Peel is something people still define her as even 45 years later. Imagine what it was like back in 1969. It seems obvious they gave her a fight scene in OHMSS just exploit that perception. How often would we see her cast as someone as wounded or vulnerable as Tracy. Even in the film she didn't stay damaged all that long
Although I've read the book a couple of times and seen the film countless times, I can never remember what "damaged" her to the point of a suicide attempt. Was it just the soulless life of a spoiled rich girl, or knowledge of her father's mob activities?
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:Well anyone who knows more about Diana (and that's probably a most of you), jump in. But I think her hart has always been more in the theatre then in films. Don't forget she of course had a daughter in the seventies. And I don't think she had a bad career, staring in the two best (or only generally known) seasons of one of the best known TV series. Playing one of the more serious Bond girls, and starring in quite a few good films like, Theatre of Blood, Evil Under the Sun and a few more I imagine. Combine that with all her TV and theatre work. I'm not sorry she didn't became a blockbuster star, but has done her own thing and left us fewer but better films in which she played, and hopefully will so in future.
what exactly is a ' movie star ' ? compared to an actress ?
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Frankymole wrote:Although I've read the book a couple of times and seen the film countless times, I can never remember what "damaged" her to the point of a suicide attempt. Was it just the soulless life of a spoiled rich girl, or knowledge of her father's mob activities?
I forget if if it's one or a combination of both. it's been decades since I read the book
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

The "actor" vs the "star" thing is tied to an intangible X factor that comes across in their performance. It's a charisma that goes beyond whatever acting talents they may or may not have. That charisma is bankable since it serves as a major motivator for large masses of people to want to see them if they are starring in a new tv show or to spend money to see them perform in a film or stage

With Rigg, 20 yrs ago she brought Medea from the UK to Broadway. She generated such buzz and excitement that the run quickly sold out

classic movie star examples are Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. More recent examples are Tom Cruise and Will Smith
and Meryl Streep

An examples of a successful actor who really is not a big "STAR" is Tilda Swinton. An amazing award winning actress who will never be a big box office draw/ However she achieves professional success owing to her talent and ultimately a greater longevity than the average "star". The majority of stars have a high turnover rate.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
frank wrote: 3) Typecasting. This probably had at least some effect. Being Emma Peel is something people still define her as even 45 years later. Imagine what it was like back in 1969. It seems obvious they gave her a fight scene in OHMSS just exploit that perception. How often would we see her cast as someone as wounded or vulnerable as Tracy. Even in the film she didn't stay damaged all that long
Although I've read the book a couple of times and seen the film countless times, I can never remember what "damaged" her to the point of a suicide attempt. Was it just the soulless life of a spoiled rich girl, or knowledge of her father's mob activities?
It had a lot to do with her first husband IIRC. At least in the book. It wasn't a happy marriage, and the aimlessness of being privileged and wealthy just sort of amplified it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14