Avengers Books

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Cybernowt wrote:Ahh.. but isn't asking questions and/or answering them half the fun here?!
Well yes, but sometimes I do feel the urge to remind people about the Avengers.TV gateway as I'm sure it gets forgotten. :D
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

Post by Jasper Groat »

I need reminding myself sometimes. I wrote some right old tripe. Back before I had kids I could take a week off work and really get stuck into the sites. As it is now, finding time to scan stuff in is difficult enough.

With that in mind, keep an eye open for some very rare Avengers strips at Yahoo Group, The Forget Me Notes. Coming soon.
Steed3003
Nutshell

Post by Steed3003 »

We index all books in Le Monde des Avengers with detailed info, analysis and reviews, but it is in French (and includes French books as well)!

Maybe Google Translator could do the trick...

http://www.theavengers.fr/faq/faqbibliotheque.htm
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Steed3003 wrote:We index all books in Le Monde des Avengers with detailed info, analysis and reviews, but it is in French (and includes French books as well)!

Maybe Google Translator could do the trick...

http://www.theavengers.fr/faq/faqbibliotheque.htm
Oh, very good!

I used to use this translation page.. http://translation2.paralink.com/ I'll have a look at the weekend.

Thank you.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I wrote those reviews for the French forums and I managed sometimes to get an interview from authors like John Garforth, Ian Gibson, Toby Miller, Keith Topping and Martin Day.
http://www.theavengers.fr/supplement/in ... teur00.htm
The best ones, for me, are Dave Rogers’ books and their reviews are still missing. I got all of them but I hadn’t the time so far to write the reviews. I’ll get season 4 Optimum for Christmas and it will be a good opportunity to read Rogers’ books again. So, the reviews will be written at the beginning of next year….
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

With that in mind, keep an eye open for some very rare Avengers strips at Yahoo Group, The Forget Me Notes. Coming soon.
I'm really grateful someone pointed out that yahoo group "The Forget Me Notes". I've had a wonderful time reading old The Avenger comics and seeing the different art and character interpretations.

I'd love someone to put together a book of collections of old Avenger comics. I'd buy that in a second.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

I've decided to start reading Avengers tie-in fiction. I survived the Prisoner novels. :D

Is the John Steed biography any good? I'm very tempted, something about the idea just tickles me, but the prices I'm seeing are a bit off-putting.
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Mona wrote:
I'm really grateful someone pointed out that yahoo group "The Forget Me Notes". I've had a wonderful time reading old The Avenger comics and seeing the different art and character interpretations.

I'd love someone to put together a book of collections of old Avenger comics. I'd buy that in a second.

Mona
I imagine that there arent quite enough Avengers fans to make a book of them worthwhile. Plus I also imagine that a lot of 'proper' fans of the tv Avengers arent interested in comic strips.

Even the reprints of the Dr Who strips have been put on hold - possibly even cancelled for good. And apart from some in the short lived 'Dr Who Classic Comics' magazine in the early 90's, none of the 60's and pre-Marvel 70's strips have been done recently.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

robmyers wrote:I've decided to start reading Avengers tie-in fiction. I survived the Prisoner novels. :D

Is the John Steed biography any good? I'm very tempted, something about the idea just tickles me, but the prices I'm seeing are a bit off-putting.
It's very...unusual. It doesn't really feel true to Steed as we know him, to be honest. It's more an interesting diversion than anything. If you're a rabid fan or collector, go for it. But if you want a casual read, it's probably not worth the investment.

My picks? The two Macnee/Leslie books Dead Duck and Deadline are good fun (some of my first Avengers reads--and collector items!). Geoff Barlow's The Saga of Happy Valley has a mood all its own and is bizarre, wonderful lunacy (if you don't mind the copyright dodging "Steade/Peale" spellings). And I really loved Too Many Targets. It's fanservice to the nth degree, but it's entertaining romp fanservice. :wink:

The Keith Laumer/Norman Daniels stories aren't terrible, but they have their own flavours respectively, and feel to a certain extent like a separate universe. The Garforths are absolutely terrible in my opinion--too sadistic and violent for Avengerland. I tried two and gave up on both halfway through.

If you're a TNA fan, you must, must, must read Fighting Men, one of the all-time best Avengers novels in terms of characterisation. The Purdey/Gambit dialogue is so priceless, you'll wish it was said onscreen. TNA's The Cybernauts/Hostage/The Eagle's Nest are also pretty good. To Catch a Rat is as bad as the Garforths, and House of Cards has some laughably bad characterisation. Hope that helps!
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

robmyers wrote:I've decided to start reading Avengers tie-in fiction. I survived the Prisoner novels. :D
All of them? What about the Roger Langley ones - "When In Rome", "Think Tank" etc? They're a definite test of fan mettle...
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"