The Avengers - Series 5 + 6 replacement discs

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I should have said initially there was a stony silence. And there was. The Roobarb's Avengers thread documents the concerns quite clearly.

Yes, they've responded now, and are making amends. But I'm still not happy with Optimum on a number of levels.

A quite significant error occured on every set bar one. A different error each time, but enough for customers to wonder if these discs were being proofread at all, then there was the inconvenience, and minor expense, of returning discs for a replacement. Not once - but for every set (bar one).

Then after the sets are released plans to release the whole series again in one megaset plus an extra disc of extras. Not so good for customers loyally buying each (error ridden) set.

Expressing truthfully the recent experiences of dealing with Optimum is hardly biting the hand that feeds.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:Looks like there will be no choice. They aren't sending fixed sets to retail.

In other words customers will need purchase faulty discs, in the full knowledge that they then have to go to the trouble of sending them off for replacements? While stocks last?

Hopefully the fixed sets will be in the complete box set.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
jld21
Nutshell

Post by jld21 »

With it looking doubtful that sites like Amazon will receive new stock, I ordered Season 5 earlier this morning. When sending discs back, have people been putting them in cases or just loose in envelopes? Thanks!
Mr S
Thingumajig

Post by Mr S »

I might put a bit of card in with the discs, but don't see why any of us should go to any more expense than necessary. After all, the discs are useless, they just need proof you bought them before they exchange them.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

jld21 wrote:With it looking doubtful that sites like Amazon will receive new stock, I ordered Season 5 earlier this morning. When sending discs back, have people been putting them in cases or just loose in envelopes? Thanks!
The original post above contains the instructions. It says do not send the cases. Just the disks.
Last watched: "Concerto"
supersimon
Thingumajig

Seies 6

Post by supersimon »

I was wondering whether there are plans to replace the disc in series 6 which contains The Forget Me Knot. The early indications are that this episode suffers from the same audio problem, presumably as it was remastered in the same way

Can anyone confirm the audio quality of this episode? Too early of course to know what Optimum will do, but past record would suggest replacing the disc if a fault exists
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Frankymole wrote:Looks like there will be no choice. They aren't sending fixed sets to retail.
Is this true? So that people who don't browse the forums, and don't know of the replacement discs have to put up with 2nd rate audio.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: Seies 6

Post by darren »

supersimon wrote:I was wondering whether there are plans to replace the disc in series 6 which contains The Forget Me Knot. The early indications are that this episode suffers from the same audio problem, presumably as it was remastered in the same way

Can anyone confirm the audio quality of this episode? Too early of course to know what Optimum will do, but past record would suggest replacing the disc if a fault exists
Yes, The Forget-Me-Knot is the only episode on the series 6 set that has the same pitch shift as the series 5 set

There's no reason not to suppose they won't get around to offering a replacement.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Please note the following message from Optimum ...

If you wish to replace your current Series 5 discs with the revised audio versions please send all seven discs in the new year (separate from the original packaging) with your return address and we will endeavor to return the new discs within two weeks.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
supersimon
Thingumajig

Exchange of correspondence

Post by supersimon »

Thought you might like to see what has gone between me and Optimum today. I received this as I was on their mailing list following correspondence re the b/w Diana Rigg boxset

Message 1Dear Simon Turner

It has come to our attention that the audio of the Avengers Series 5 episodes carries a pitch level that some people may feel is too high. We recognise that some viewers are dissatisfied with the current audio as it stands and we have pitch shifted the audio throughout the episodes to a lower level that has now addressed the concerns raised.

If you wish to replace your current Series 5 discs with the revised audio versions please send all seven discs in the new year (separate from the original packaging) with your return address and we will endeavor to return the new discs within two weeks.

Please return your discs to:

The Avengers Series 5

Optimum Releasing

50 Marshall Street

London

W1F 9BQ

Many thanks

My reply
How quickly will this new audio version be available from Amazon and play.com?

I have not bought this yet but will do once this issue is resolved. It seems pointless to buy a product simply to have to divert it to you for immediate replacement

Thanks, Simon

Their reply
Dear Mr Turner

Thank you for your email.

Retailers will have corrected versions in the new year.

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing

Optimum Releasing