The Avengers on Blu-ray in France

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Although I do not own a BLURAY player I am happy with the fact that new releases are on BLURAY and not on DVD.

DVD is good enough for me although I prefer analogue TV over digital, BLURAY is the future. Bringing a DVD release out now would only mean another delay to an inevitable new format.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

To be honest, there's no reason why there wouldn't be a DVD release at the same time as the Blu-ray release, using down-converted versions of the HD remasters. Even these would see a huge improvement over the current versions.

I fully expect that these will not be Blu-ray exclusives, although the DVD releases may be delayed by a few months to maximise the Blu-ray sales. (This is my speculation, by the way, not insider information!)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Avengers on Blu-Ray here in the States ?

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:There will be a marked improvement. Don't forget the DVDs are sourced from transfers made 15 years ago by Lumiere/Weintraub. Technology has moved on apace since then and assuming Canal+ have done a good job (and initial reports are positive), then there will be a 'night and day' improvement over the DVDs which are less than impressive IMHO.
How much of an improvement ? Pricing for these discs, are much higher than it's DVD counterparts...often 10-20 bucks per disc

I guess my NeXT question will be WHEN will there be a U.S. release, and who will put 'em out ? I don't think A & E will do 'em...But I could be very wrong..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Allard wrote:Just think what they achieved with The Prisoner.
http://www.networkdvd.co.uk/prisoner/priscomparison.htm
They can do a lot these days and a state of the art remastering and restored Avengers DVD release would be great.
Improved picture, but what a shame they messed up the soundtracks, the title sequences and many scene changes!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I really hope that the new masters will get a DVD release. I don't know anyone with a Blu-ray player, a may have a large part in the future but surely that's quite a way ahead yet.

I'm almost salivating at the prospect of properly restored footage. Actually more interested to see the videotape years get a sprucing up (and vidfired for those who know what that is).
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'd be very surprised if the videotaped episodes are VidFIRE processed. Astounded, even.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Alan wrote:I'd be very surprised if the videotaped episodes are VidFIRE processed. Astounded, even.
Yeah, shame though.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. It really brings those 1960s Doctor Who stories to life that (like the Keel 'n' Cathy Avengers) only exist today as film recordings.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

How much resolution is too much, though? For me personally, some of the charm of the show comes from the 1960's television "feel" it has in the colour. Should they go through and "Restore" the episodes and have them look as though they were filmed only recently some of the charm would be lost IMHO.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

I really don't think removing a few scratches and tightening up colour balancing could ever remove the distinct visual flavour of The Avengers.