Hannah Wilde 1971 Avenger girl

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I read that Sue Lloyd attended the Sadler's Wells Ballet School, but as her height increased to 5' 8" it reduced the possibilities for a career as a dancer. Not quite 'they threw me out the Royal Ballet - too tall' (Purdey, The Eagle's Nest) but close enough.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Post by gaucho vengador »

I wonder: If Patrick didn´t play Steed at the Stage version, why didn't they include Emma instead of Hannah Wild.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

That's a good point. I'm not sure Emma Peel was the TV icon then as she is now. Today John Steed and Emma Peel go together like Holmes and Watson, Hepburn and Tracy and Batman and Robin but back then - especially in the UK - Mrs Peel was just one of Steed's partners. I think her impact came later.

Also in 1971 there had already been the Tara-era and perhaps they thought Emma Peel was a step back in time. Emma Peel had 'resigned' in 1967/68 after all. and, had it continued to be on television, it's quite reasonable to think that there would have been a new Avenger girl by then.

I don't remember a lot of nostalgia in the 1970s, it was all about looking ahead and something new.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

supersimon wrote:Don't be embarassed - I bought The Stud and The Bitch because she was in them - and got them off!
always got a kick outta those titles...especially the 'Bitch'....schlock cinema!