Steed and Mrs Peel - comic book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

cyberrich wrote:I sometimes see the original comics from 1990 on ebay. If anyone has these, would you say they are worth buying. I collect Avengers stuff, but I've never been sure about comic strip material ever since I saw the 1968 Avengers comic at a memorabilia fair for £70. The dealer said it was rubbish. :shock: I didn't buy it! Rich.
The Gold Key Avengers comic is worth quite a lot in pristine condition. However I picked up a well read copy for a couple of quid on ebay.

The Eclipse comics. Hmm.. Not read them for a long time.. possibly since they first came out. That style of artwork doesnt really impress me.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Great news !!!! :D

Let's get the money ! :lol:
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:'Femme Appeal' sounds like a feminine hygiene product. :oops:
You must have different brands in England. :lol:

There was a lot of bemusement as to who she was supposed to be on the Disney side. It seems the overlap between that fandom and The Avengers consists of me and the guys that write the comics. :lol:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

cyberrich wrote:I sometimes see the original comics from 1990 on ebay. If anyone has these, would you say they are worth buying. I collect Avengers stuff, but I've never been sure about comic strip material ever since I saw the 1968 Avengers comic at a memorabilia fair for £70. The dealer said it was rubbish. :shock: I didn't buy it! Rich.
I related my thoughts on the comic in another thread, so you can browse through that if you're interested:

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum

It's a very "trippy" take on the series, far out in the realms of AU territory. But I'm a firm believer in people checking these things out for themselves. If approached with the right attitude, it's an entertaining hour or two's read. :)

cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for all the replies. The next time I see them on ebay I'll buy them if the price is right. The same for the Gold Key comic. I'm still unconvinced about The Avengers in comic stip form, but I loved the 3 Steed/Mrs Peel novelettes that were printed in magazine form by Stay Tuned about 20 years ago. There was a Tara one too which I don't have. The 3 Mrs Peel stories were well written and a big improvement on the original 60s paperbacks (with the exception of Dead duck 8) , the very best). Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

cyberrich wrote:Thanks for all the replies. The next time I see them on ebay I'll buy them if the price is right. The same for the Gold Key comic. I'm still unconvinced about The Avengers in comic stip form, but I loved the 3 Steed/Mrs Peel novelettes that were printed in magazine form by Stay Tuned about 20 years ago. There was a Tara one too which I don't have. The 3 Mrs Peel stories were well written and a big improvement on the original 60s paperbacks (with the exception of Dead duck 8) , the very best). Rich.
I have a copy of the Tara Stay Tuned story, and I scanned it a few years back. I can send you a link if you're interested.

Of the few actual Avengers comic "books" there are around (as opposed to newspaper strips and little periodicals like "Diana"), I enjoyed the Thorpe and Porter one more than the Gold Key edition. I have that one scanned as well if people want to read it. 8)

Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

cyberrich wrote:Thanks for all the replies. The next time I see them on ebay I'll buy them if the price is right.
The third issue had a much lower print run than the first two so doesnt appear as often as others - and also tends to go for more. Best bet is maybe to try and find all three for sale together. Although do I recall correctly that they also released a compilation book?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Here's an interesting web page on the series by the artist himself.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I have a copy of the Tara Stay Tuned story, and I scanned it a few years back. I can send you a link if you're interested.

Of the few actual Avengers comic "books" there are around (as opposed to newspaper strips and little periodicals like "Diana"), I enjoyed the Thorpe and Porter one more than the Gold Key edition. I have that one scanned as well if people want to read it. 8)
Yes please! I'd be very interested in seeing them. :) Thanks, Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

cyberrich wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I have a copy of the Tara Stay Tuned story, and I scanned it a few years back. I can send you a link if you're interested.

Yes please! I'd be very interested in seeing them. :) Thanks, Rich.
The Tara story is called "Before the Mast" and can be found starting here. Use the arrows to navigate through (there's other stuff in the same folder which you'll run into eventually):

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r192 ... 0004-2.jpg

The comic consists of four separate stories. The art is pretty simple and all black and white, but it has a season four noirish quality to it that I like. I have all the scans in a folder, so you have to start at the end and work backward. It starts here:

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r192 ... an0017.jpg

Enjoy! :D