The Avengers being shown in HD?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: The Avengers being shown in HD?

Post by Alan »

Johnny O wrote:You assume right. And as a US viewer, the UK DVDs aren't much use. Regardless, I'm already bristling at the idea that I need to shell out the cash all over again. It's frustrating. Not as bad as the Doctor Who folks though, who are now releasing "special editions" of earlier DVD releases, with a couple of extras thrown in. Next they'll be issuing special editions of the special editions.
I find this attitude quite perplexing. No one has to buy ANYTHING. The Doctor Who 'revisitations' are selling well, hence there is a demand. No-one is holding a gun to anyone's head. Updated DVDs and Blu-rays are an optional purchase, nothing more...

In the case of Doctor Who, there have been 13 years between the start of the range and now - technology has improved in leaps and bounds over that time and what was a "special edition" at the start of the range looks sparse today. The revised reissues are wholly justified (and I know, I've bought them). Equally, The Avengers is a significant update and not just a cynical repackaging.

But no-one is forced to buy any of these.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The Doctor Who ones are also new remastering / restorations using the latest technology. As very old, videotaped shows (generally from the 60s and 70s) they needed it.

I just hope if The Avengers gets shown in HD that they don't crop half the picture away by making it "widescreen" like they did with "UFO".
Last watched: "Concerto"
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

NickP wrote:
Darren wrote:
I'm assuming you're not aware of the new UK DVD's released a year ago with extras containing the new remastered episodes?
Remastered but NOT HD. High Definition requires Blu-Ray which hasn't been done yet for The Avengers.

HD transfers of The Prisoner and The Persuaders have been issued on Blu-Ray but as far as I know not broadcast (certainly not in the UK).

ITV3 would be the natural home for these series but the only ITV3 HD platform is Sky (it's not available on cable or Freesat).
Absolutely false! DVD's have been mastered in high definition since at least 2000. Just because there isn't a bluray doesn't mean a HD master doesn't exist.

Trust me, they didn't go back to the original camera negatives to remaster the series in 625i. No way no how! The new Optimumdvd's you have are HD masters downconverted to 625i.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

timlamb wrote:
Absolutely false! DVD's have been mastered in high definition since at least 2000. Just because there isn't a bluray doesn't mean a HD master doesn't exist.

Trust me, they didn't go back to the original camera negatives to remaster the series in 625i. No way no how! The new Optimumdvd's you have are HD masters downconverted to 625i.
I didn't mean that the new masters weren't HD, only that they haven't been released in HD.
brynmill
Thingumajig

Post by brynmill »

Don't forget, Network's first DVD release of Space 1999 were mastered in high definition.