The Movie

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Good lord! You wonder why I call it The dreaded movie? When I first saw the trailers, the only thing they did for me was to remind me that there had been a show called The Avengers. I had no desire to see the movie at the time and was glad I hadn't when the reviews were so horrible and the movie hit the bargain theaters within a week of release. I rarely find remakes attractive so even after re-discovering the Avengers, I doubted that I would ever see the film.

Lately however, I've been curious about the mixed reviews on the forum. Even the fans of the movie can't seem to really make up their minds. One second Uma is gorgeous the next she's laughably dreadful and so on. To me, it's begining to sound more like a spoof of the series as opposed to a remake. I like spoofs, but they have to be well done and it sounds like this one wasn't.

The dvd is on it's way and I will watch it, though I have a feeling it's going to be hard for me to enjoy. Though I shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. I just watched The Queen last week and despite brilliant reviews from almost everyone, I was sadly dissapointed in it.

Well, we shall see what happens and I'll post a review of it when I see it.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Philippa wrote:To me there's only 1 Steed and 1 Emma, and I'm not even the least bit curious about it to be honest.
To me there are four Steeds! Patrick Macnee (the best and the archetype), Donald Monat (the next best and quite wonderful on the radio), Ralph Fiennes (a brave try but probably a tad miscast) and Simon Oates (whose performance none of us can judge, as it was on the stage in 1971 and no visual or aural record exists). Why close your mind to the 'other flavours'?
Last edited by Alan on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

kim wrote: Though I shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. I just watched The Queen last week and despite brilliant reviews from almost everyone, I was sadly dissapointed in it.

How could you be disappointed with 'The Queen' - brilliant performances all-round! Superb!
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

The movie in and of itself was well done and I enjoyed it for that very much. I had not read what the movie was about, so I was expecting more of a background story on Queen Elizabeth. I was dissapointed to find that it was focused mostly on her reaction to Diana's death.

Are there any well written books on Queen Elizabeth's background? I don't mean the mean spirited "unofficials" but something that is an accurate account of her life?

And to get back on topic, I think I'll read the Avenger's novel first before I view the movie since it seems that the movie is badly edited.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

kim wrote:The movie in and of itself was well done and I enjoyed it for that very much. I had not read what the movie was about, so I was expecting more of a background story on Queen Elizabeth. I was dissapointed to find that it was focused mostly on her reaction to Diana's death.

Are there any well written books on Queen Elizabeth's background? I don't mean the mean spirited "unofficials" but something that is an accurate account of her life?

And to get back on topic, I think I'll read the Avenger's novel first before I view the movie since it seems that the movie is badly edited.

I don't know but I can find out from someone in the States who writes about Royalty and PM you :)
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

kim wrote: And to get back on topic, I think I'll read the Avenger's novel first before I view the movie since it seems that the movie is badly edited.
And the acting is far better in the novel...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

That would be great, though it doesn't necessarily have to be an American writer. I've seen numerous books written regarding the Royals, but I don't want to read a bunch of trash so it's my hope that there might be an "official" type biography somewhere. If you do find someone, let me know. Thanks for your help Barry. You are terrific.
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

The movie is not worth all the prattling on and on about, as it has widely and correctly been declared terrible by the overwhelming majority of people who had the displeasure of enduring it (and I'm one of them, having sat through it twice). Apologists for this awful movie are simply in denial. Any major studio film not given advance showings for reviewers is a red flag warning that it is a turkey. The only good things about it were a few interesitng visuals (and an $80 million budget should at least give us that) plus the fact that it brought attention to the original series. But honestly, everything else about it reeked.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

moorlock2003 wrote:Apologists for this awful movie are simply in denial.
What a stunning burst of arrogance :lol: I'm certainly not in denial, I THINK IT'S BRILLIANT :wink: and while not highly praised, I don't see it getting totally hammered in any of the posts above.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Alan wrote:
Philippa wrote:To me there's only 1 Steed and 1 Emma, and I'm not even the least bit curious about it to be honest.
To me there are four Steeds! Patrick Macnee (the best and the archetype), Donald Monat (the next best and quite wonderful on the radio), Ralph Fiennes (a brave try but probably a tad miscast) and Simon Oates (whose performance none of us can judge, as it was on the stage in 1971 and no visual or aural record exists). Why close your mind to the 'other flavours'?
Well it's not a rationally drawn conclusion, just a feeling..
It's not that I'm not open to it, I have to admit that other people's reviews here have made me sort of curious.
But it's just, I don't know, hard to explain. Just a general sort of feeling.