The Avengers Movie on a Desert Island

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

If I was on an island, I would take THE JOKER, NEVER NEVER SAY DIE, THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT, THE GRAVEDIGGERS, TOO MANY CHRISTMAS TREES, HONEY FOR THE PRINCE, PANDORA, SPLIT, THE SUPER CYPHER SECRET SNATCH, GAME, NOON DOOMSDAY, TAKE OVER, DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU and MR TEDDY BEAR, and finally, DEATH DISPATCH.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
kim wrote:So should I give it an attempt or just thank whatever higher power there is that I have't subjected myself to a travesty?
Kim, I think you should watch it. I bought mine on DVD for pennies. It's just a dumb Hollywood remake, like the Saint remake was - only not as good.

It's not so much a bad movie, as a boring one (and laughably miscast). It's not part of The Avengers, just a costly experiment.
Every fan should try to seek out all the iterations and decide what they think for themselves. I started with the movie--didn't even know there was a TV show. There's a chance that without it I wouldn't be here (however slight). I remember seeing it. I was lucky enough to watch it unbiased as a fan of the show. It's actually not a bad movie--just a lousy Avengers movie. If all else fails, aesthetically it's very pretty. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's not part of The Avengers, just a costly experiment.
Sorry, but if it's not part of the Avengers then why is there a section for it on this Avengers forum :?: Are you also by the same token suggesting therefore that the radio series and stage play are also not part of Avengers :?:
Last edited by Avengerholic on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

^there is no separate section for the film.....
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Avengerholic wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's not part of The Avengers, just a costly experiment.
Sorry, but if it's not part of the Avengers then why is there a section for it on this Avengers forum :?: Are you also by the same token suggesting therefore that the radio series and stage play are also not part of Avengers :?:
Don't forget the novels and the comics!

They were all spin-offs. I can't speak of the stage version, but the radio series has great warmth and charm.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

I love the radio series and the comics, haven't read many of the books, though I did enjoy The Gold Bomb :wink: They are all facets of this great series and are ALL part of the Avengers. It's ridiculous for an individual to try and disregard one or any version from general Avengers fandom on the basis that you personally don't like it ! Based on that narrow minded system I'd be saying that the Peel colour era isn't the Avengers !
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's not 'ridiculous', it's all down to individual opinion, and I'm perfectly content and happy that you have yours... :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's not 'ridiculous', it's all down to individual opinion, and I'm perfectly content and happy that you have yours... :)
I absolutely agree with you. When I say ridiculous I mean: Ridiculous to try and remove one facet of the Avengers from fandom in general for everyone because as an individual you don't like it (I don't mean you as in YOU :wink:) Ridiculous to say that I'm in denial because I love a film that someone else thinks is dire. Ridiculous to say the movies not worth talking about because you don't want to discuss it. Ridiculous and unfair to give someone a complex for even having the nerve to mention it here on the board :D This topic was about Desert Island Avengers (yes probably meaning the TV series) But the movie IS the Avengers and yes I would choose the movie over anything else to take with me, SO WHAT ! (it has been on TV after all). Why couldn't it have just been accepted as a personal choice rather than frowned upon, questioned as irony and almost ridiculed. I mean this comment followed my choice "I hope that last comment is made with irony. If not, it might lead to suicide on the desert island". And by someone who actually then goes on to admit that they haven't even seen it ! Now that's ridiculous :lol: I've loved the Avengers for over 30 years and ever since 1998 I've been a huge fan of the film, for many, many reasons. Today it's probably the only part of the franchise that still holds my complete interest. If a fan of this 'dreaded' movie really isn't welcome on these boards, if it can't be accepted that I'm here now mainly because of my love for the Avengers film then someone really should say so. Rant over :wink:
Horatio Kane
Nutshell

Post by Horatio Kane »

Avengerholic wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's not 'ridiculous', it's all down to individual opinion, and I'm perfectly content and happy that you have yours... :)
I absolutely agree with you. When I say ridiculous I mean: Ridiculous to try and remove one facet of the Avengers from fandom in general for everyone because as an individual you don't like it (I don't mean you as in YOU :wink:) Ridiculous to say that I'm in denial because I love a film that someone else thinks is dire. Ridiculous to say the movies not worth talking about because you don't want to discuss it. Ridiculous and unfair to give someone a complex for even having the nerve to mention it here on the board :D This topic was about Desert Island Avengers (yes probably meaning the TV series) But the movie IS the Avengers and yes I would choose the movie over anything else to take with me, SO WHAT ! (it has been on TV after all). Why couldn't it have just been accepted as a personal choice rather than frowned upon, questioned as irony and almost ridiculed. I mean this comment followed my choice "I hope that last comment is made with irony. If not, it might lead to suicide on the desert island". And by someone who actually then goes on to admit that they haven't even seen it ! Now that's ridiculous :lol: I've loved the Avengers for over 30 years and ever since 1998 I've been a huge fan of the film, for many, many reasons. Today it's probably the only part of the franchise that still holds my complete interest. If a fan of this 'dreaded' movie really isn't welcome on these boards, if it can't be accepted that I'm here now mainly because of my love for the Avengers film then someone really should say so. Rant over :wink:
Well said, sir!
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Horatio Kane wrote: Well said, sir!
I thank you :wink: