Script for The Avengers Movie

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I'll see if I can dig up anything on The Resurrector... I wonder if it might have indeed come out at least as a tv/cable movie at some point and then disappered afterwords.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MikeR wrote:Dandy

As far as I can tell, Gibson never had any intentions of playing Steed, as he has stated that Patrick Macnee could not be bettered in the role.

Again from what I have read, it appears that the whole thing came about when producer Jerry Weintraub engaged Mel Gibson in conversation at a dinner party regarding The Avengers. Gibson admitted to liking the series and Weintraub leaked a story to the press that the Australian actor would be playing Steed in his forthcoming movie, purely for publicity purposes.

However, in saying that whenever newspapers covered the proposed film, Gibson’s name was usually included as a candidate to play the part.

The Resurrector was filmed during the early part of 1993, as it appears on several people’s resumes on the net. Like you say it does not appear on IMDB and that would seem to be because it has never been transmitted or made available on video or DVD.

Universal financed it for the Fox Television Network.

Now just speculating (and I have no proof), but if The Resurrector closely recycled elements from The Avengers screenplay that Sam Hamm had sold to Warner Brothers, what would their reaction be if they became aware of this?

If this were the situation would Warner Brothers have threatened legal action over it and would that explain why it has never been transmitted?
true dog and pony show...concerning Gibson and the producer...