Imagine an 80's era Avengers incarnation

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Ah, enlightenment dawns! I always wondered about the reason for that silly wig. Then again, I probably wondered, then shrugged, and put it down to the same whim as McCallum's dodgy moustache at the 30s party.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:Ah, enlightenment dawns! I always wondered about the reason for that silly wig. Then again, I probably wondered, then shrugged, and put it down to the same whim as McCallum's dodgy moustache at the 30s party.
There you are, then. I can't explain the moustache, but that's definitely why they went for the wig. :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Wow - plenty of good replies (and thanks for the info on real 80's attempts to ressurect the Avengers).

Reading through replies, I now think there would be three main ways that would have had major consequences for the Avengers.

IF it were made in the UK:
- I think it might have come out a little like Hammer House of Horror, with very short seasons. It probably would have have born some continuity with the original series, with cameos at least by actors who were interested in reappearing.

IF it were made in the US:

- A likely style of program that it would have been styled after would be the sleuthing couple series like Remington Steele or Hart To Hart (which were mentioned by another poster). This would have kept more continuity with the original series with cameos or actual regular case made in part from previous incarnations.

- The other main likely style of Avengers would have been more action/crime drama stuff along the lines of The Equalizer or Matt Houston. This would have been a complete relaunch with little or no continuity with the original series. (It would also be the worst choice, but I could see somebody trying it!)
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

If it was made in the US it might have ended up like Escapade - :lol:

The 1980s was great for music but made lousy TV.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:If it was made in the US it might have ended up like Escapade - :lol:

The 1980s was great for music but made lousy TV.
I was thinking of Escapade, too--hopefully it would have turned out a bit better than that. :lol:

I really do think it would have turned out the most like Remington Steele, both in feel/type of cases, but also the dynamic between the leads. There seemed to be a bigger emphasis on the romance angle in the '80s, and the show probably would have followed that. I thought it might have been a strictly American phenomenon--Remington, Hart to Hart, Moonlighting--but I watched Dempsey and Makepeace last summer, and most of the same ingredients were there (and Makepeace definitely has more than a little Purdey in her). I think there was a little Steed influence in Pierce Brosnan's performance in Remington, too. Brian Clemens wrote a couple of episodes, and they even have Steed and Emmaish tag scenes at the end. They even set a couple of episodes in Britain, and pulled in Julian Glover and Simon Oates for the guest roles. So I really think we can see what an '80s incarnation of the show would be like based on the (undoubtedly Avengers-influenced) shows that were coming out at the time.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:The Gambit-type bloke would have to have a bleached mullet hairstyle, bootlace tie, a Midge Ure-pencil 'tache, jazzy patterned jumper in his off-duty moments, and rolled-up suit sleeves when "on the case". The woman would wear New Romantic make-up, huge shoulder pads, a leather mini-skirt, and three tons of hairspray.

Their car of choice would be a Mini Maestro in pastel blue, which relays Ministry orders to them via its innovative talking seatbelt system.

The first Christmas adventure would involve mysterious sinkings of canal boats in the waterways of East Anglia, "Ho-Ho-Hoseasons Boating Holidays".

Nickolas "Max Headroom" Grace would be the eye-rolling diabolical mastermind.

Male Avenger: "Nick Vortex" played by Andrew Hall;
Female Avenger: "Gloria Spun" played by Kim Thomson (or Rosalyn Landor at a pinch).

Theme song by Sheena Easton.
ugh. not my cup of tea....but others might have dug it..which is ok.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Good point. I really loved Remington Steele. very interesting. i did not know Brian Clemens was involved in that show. thanks for sharing!
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

anti-clockwise wrote:Good point. I really loved Remington Steele. very interesting. i did not know Brian Clemens was involved in that show. thanks for sharing!
He just contributed a couple of scripts, so "involved" might be putting it a bit strongly. I have no question there was some Avengers influence on that series, though, whether consciously or unconsciously. By the time it premiered, it wouldn't have been that long since TNA finally surfaced in the States, so I can see it being in the backs of people's minds.

paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

As well as Remington Steele, I remember the American TV series Scarecrow and Mrs King being kind of Avengerish, but I haven't seen it since the Eighties so I might be wrong!
Paul
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Re: Imagine an 80's era Avengers incarnation

Post by Dan »

[quote=what would an 80's era Avengers have been like? [/quote]

If I'm going to imagine an 80's era Avengers series, I'm going to imagine it the way I would have liked it to be. It would have simply picked up where season 5 left off. The 58 year old Patrick and the 42 year old Diana would reprise their roles. I think it could have been great.