How to succeed...at murdering an episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

interesting

Post by mousemeat »

costumr wrote:I am also a big fan of HTSAM. I was 14 when I first saw it and was completely mesmerized. The secretaries killing their bosses. J.J. Hooter yelling "Leap into My Fervid Arms!" The spooky puppet. Even if it falls apart at the end, I still loved it for its Avengersisms.
As a side note, if you notice what Sara is wearing in the episode (the lame dress and fur) you can see that she first wore the same dress and probably the same fur in "Intercrime." She probably had to provide her own wardrobe.
how true..A lot of black humour, in this episode...might be the
perfect offering for Bosse's day..and that doll was creepy, but
in an fun sort of way..
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
cyberrich wrote:I think you're right. The title was probably inspired by how to succeed in business. Other Avengers titles paid homage to other tv/stage titles. The Girl from Auntie (The man from Uncle), Mission highly improbable (Mission Impossible), A funny thing happened on the way to the station (forum), From Venus (Russia) with love. I'm sure there's others.
There seems to have been a book that subsequently inspired a musical of the same name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Suc ... lly_Trying

There are loads of references in Avengers titles. Gnaws for Jaws and Dirtier by the Dozen for The Dirty Dozen are another couple that come to mind.
"The Superlative Seven" for "The Magnificent Seven".
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I think this all comes down to personal taste. It's an extreme episode. I enjoy it. Hooter is a riot. There is a genuine unnerving moment with henrietta "watching" steed enter the studio. There is an interesting hint of lesbianism. Those charm bracelets would make a premium collectible for fans.

Don Leaver I think manages to ground the more extreme elemnts fairly well

I do think that Clemens does no favors to feminism. I have no problem with the mission the secretaries are on and being 1966, it's understandable their miltant frustration, but they do come across pretty stupid when the big reveal comes. Also the motive for Henry's crusade falls a little flat. He handles the feminist themes much better in 50,000 Pound Breakfast with Miss Pegram. Regardless Henrietta certainly ranks as 1 of the more memorable villains
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

I once watched this episode with a girl friend and she shrieked abuse at the episode! She was all in favour of blowing up bosses, suffocating perfumists and the such like, but the moment Steed got one of those ladies over his knee for a good tickling... Well... Frankly it's my favourite moment. How many other shows has tickling as a way of getting information from a murderer?

As an aside, isn't she the same actress who appeared in the rather similar to an Avengers episode of Adam Adamant Lives! Death By Appointment Only?

'Ruination to all men!' indeed.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I too love this episode, great fun and a fantastic moment when Steed tickles the deadly assassin.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

costumr wrote:I am also a big fan of HTSAM. I was 14 when I first saw it and was completely mesmerized. The secretaries killing their bosses. J.J. Hooter yelling "Leap into My Fervid Arms!" The spooky puppet. Even if it falls apart at the end, I still loved it for its Avengersisms.
As a side note, if you notice what Sara is wearing in the episode (the lame dress and fur) you can see that she first wore the same dress and probably the same fur in "Intercrime." She probably had to provide her own wardrobe.
Just watched this one. I thought it was a clever joke having a man behind it all, and quite a sheepish one too, so I didn't really feel it was poorer at the end. Also, as all the cast seemed so good at playing their parts, I realised that the small-part acting is very well done in The Avengers.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I watched it again this week and I still enjoy it. The only downer is Emma taking on the ladies in leotards far too easy - after the build up that these were very dangerous. Emma is a toughie, but she is no Wonder Woman. It does all fall away that they were duped so easily.

The tickling scene is also very un-PC. Oh, Steed ...

Can someone point out the hint of lesbianism (as noted above)?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I was rather indifferent to this episode when I first saw it. I was a bit tired of the show and it was one of the last episodes that I saw for the first time.

But I watched the DVD the other week and really got into it. It's really stylishly shot by Don Leaver (would have loved to see what he could have done with a "color" episode). It plays to up the cliché of bosses and secretaries and affairs. In fact it's quite season 5 in style at times with the excesses.

Will we ever know who supplied the voice of Henrietta:D
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

This is one episode a watch little of because it really doesn't catch my interest. That said, I actually have a couple of favorites picked out. All the exterior scenes are fabulously filmed, the angles work. JJ Hooter's an enjoyable character to watch. Especially when he decribes his nose as the "beast". Haha! Also, love Steed and Emma lying on the sofa eating peanuts. Real warm and friendly. What I find disturbing is the story behind Henrietta's demise and her husband Henry trying to keep her "alive". Sad.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

I love "How To Succeed...at Murder". Puppets give me the creeps anyway, and this one is no exception. Lots of pretty women in this ep, too.