Favorite campy moments

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Frankymole wrote:For me it is when Steed produces a complete afternoon tea (including little cakes on a stand, boiling kettle etc) from his carpet bag on the train to Little Bazeley in The Town of No Return.

Sums up the 'difference' of the series beautifully.
I adore that scene. It's just so Avengers and cosy and quaint.
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Sexual innuendo Subtext in dialogue

Post by Cariheart »

megan130 wrote:Is anyone ever shocked at some of the things the characters would say for even in the 60's, using present day and age possible meanings. In the Episode '13th Hole' a man tells Emma he'd like to take her through a few 'strokes' personally but supposedly about golf. A shady character asks Steed if he'd lost his 'balls' and Pat as Steed replies he'd found them with a vigor!! :shock:
I loved them as a kid thinking they were SOO cool but never understood how risque they were especially for the US in that time. Love it.
From Death at Bargain Prices when Steed and Peel are discussing store owner Mr. Kane living at the store's discontinued line department: Peel- "You should fit right in." Steed- (leering at her body)"That's a matter of opinion." To this day I blush whenever I watch this epi. Am I alone here?
Miska_cz
Little Wonder

Post by Miska_cz »

I think that Avengers try to create a perfect world and by that try some moments seems as you said "campy"

How ever for me are those moments in store by "Death at bargain prices" only enjoyable and for me, the Avengers helping me relax in my present sad and difficulty time
Miska_Cz :o)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yogi Bear (and some Daleks!) in "The Avengers" is a great thing.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

The photographer asking if he can move Jarrett's body into a more aesthetically pleasing position (Super Secret Cypher Snatch).
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:For me, it's still Emma disco dancing, eating chocolates and snogging Steed in Who's Who.

I made this a while ago and quite forgot about it. The way I've edited it makes Steed look like he's warming his hands up and putting them ... somewhere. Purely unintentional ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:For me, it's still Emma disco dancing, eating chocolates and snogging Steed in Who's Who.

I made this a while ago and quite forgot about it. The way I've edited it makes Steed look like he's warming his hands up and putting them ... somewhere. Purely unintentional ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Sexual innuendo Subtext in dialogue

Post by mousemeat »

megan130 wrote:Is anyone ever shocked at some of the things the characters would say for even in the 60's, using present day and age possible meanings. In the Episode '13th Hole' a man tells Emma he'd like to take her through a few 'strokes' personally but supposedly about golf. A shady character asks Steed if he'd lost his 'balls' and Pat as Steed replies he'd found them with a vigor!! :shock:
I loved them as a kid thinking they were SOO cool but never understood how risque they were especially for the US in that time. Love it.
same here...every time i hear those lines, I yell with delight..so funny and risque.
funny era the mid 1960's......