Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

That's a poorly worded explanation that the hardback and paperbacks at Lulu now contain the corrected word but the Amazon version doesn't. I won't bother correcting unless something major is discovered as I have to buy a new copy at Lulu each time I make a correction in order to be allowed to continue selling copies.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Dear contributors: many, many thanks for writing for our three books this year. All three are great reads but wouldn't have been nearly as interesting without your individual contributions. Readers seem to enjoy the books and I have enjoyed getting to know you, if only virtually in most cases.

For those continuing the adventure into the 1970s, please don't hold back. I'm happy to receive New Avengers chapters now!

Have a great festive time and/or rest. Your efforts have been really appreciated.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote:
Frankymole wrote:I'll have to wait until Lulu get my copy to me, but I agree with Frank above, I'm powering through the Technicolor Emma era examined in "Mrs Peel, We're Needed" at the moment and it is really refreshing and liberating to get totally different perspectives on the show from other informed viewers. The standard of writing is incredibly high. I did notice on small typo, the "Friends of Ghosts" character is defined as being from "Friends of Fog" :)
I've corrected it for you. It was my mistake, not Timeless'. I don't think she makes any!
I do though - I even spelt "one" as "on" in that post! Must be all the champagne :)

I don't think "psychedelic" missing a letter will matter much, the sense is obvious. Most books I read (even academic non-fiction ones) are full of typos, yours are very lucid by comparison.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Hi Rodney,

Any reason why the hardcovers (bar Bright Horizons) aren't available at Lulu? Will the promo codes buzzing around at the moment, I'd have been up for picking them up. They're a bit more expensive (as they're non-discountable) at Amazon.

Best,

Alan
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Alan wrote:Hi Rodney,

Any reason why the hardcovers (bar Bright Horizons) aren't available at Lulu? Will the promo codes buzzing around at the moment, I'd have been up for picking them up. They're a bit more expensive (as they're non-discountable) at Amazon.

Best,

Alan
PS Good idea Alan. What are the latest and greatest discount codes at this point?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I bought both Mrs Peel, We're Needed and the new Tara volume, Anticlockwise, from Lulu recently.

Mrs Peel, We're Needed: http://www.lulu.com/shop/rodney-marshal ... 50783.html

Anticlockwise: http://www.lulu.com/shop/rodney-marshal ... 50765.html
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Alan,
All three volumes are available from Lulu both in hardback and paperback format. The Amazon paperback is a poorer quality in terms of durability. However, for those who just want to read it and then forget about it, I guess that doesn't matter.

Lulu tend to hide away the updated hardback versions of Bright Horizons and Mrs. Peel, We're Needed as I haven't bought the latest versions myself, meaning that these are unavailable via Amazon. Lulu insist that writers buy their own copy of an updated book and verify it before allowing general sales elsewhere. I understand the logic, but I'm not buying another copy when only one word was mis-spelt!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Aha... I was looking in your Rodney Marshall shop, which only has two titles. That explains it - and my idiocy! :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Having received the paperback copy I ordered, I've read from front cover to back. There were a few irritating errors, all minor but it bugs me to see that I didn't correct The Masterminds to The Master Minds etc. etc. These have now been corrected. Just shows that even with three of us proof-reading, errors remain!

However, far more importantly, this is a wonderful book, offering a definitive guide to the Tara era. I doubt a better critical guide could be written. As a reader, I'd start with Lauren's essay and Timeless' Afterword. Both put forward fantastic arguments anti/pro Tara respectively.
You can see how individual contributors have grown in stature as we reach towards the fourth volume.
Darren's wonderful chapters on My Wildest Dream and Homicide are, I think, his best to date, real highlights of the book.
Margo's Take-Over is wonderful and the episode really suits her psychoanalytical approach.
Requiem represents Piers' most dynamic piece.
Frankymole took like a duck to water with All Done With Mirrors. The chapter does the episode justice, which is no easy task.
I loved Rich's Stay Tuned, sadly his final contribution to the series.
In addition, so many people explore the main characters in such depth: Dan, Frank H, Timeless etc.
Matthew Lee is a great addition to the team, offering similar wit and knowledge to Sam's. (Sam's False Witness is another Denham gem.)
It's nice that Mark Saunders - who wrote to me as a fan of Bright Horizons - joined and wrote two chapters.
I don't think you could ask for a book which explores the Tara King era from more viewpoints or with such contrasting styles.

So thank you to everyone. The book is now in its corrected form on Lulu, priced £15 hardback, £11 paperback. NOT worth re-buying for the very few minor mistakes. The Amazon version won't be corrected until after Wednesday.
Unfortunately the book won't sell like the Peel ones as, apart from France, the interest in Season 6 is much less. Still, the project has been a great success. Whether you contributed or not, it's well worth a read.

Happy Christmas, everyone, as I'll be away from internet access after this week.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Alan wrote:Aha... I was looking in your Rodney Marshall shop, which only has two titles. That explains it - and my idiocy! :)
Not at all. It's a very confusing system as some books appear as mine when I've edited them yet others don't.