Diana Rigg Replacement Screentests

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Richy wrote:I assume then that Clements was keen for either Tracy Reed, Mary Peach or Jane Merrow to be cast then!
Doubtful. Clemens wasn't involved. He'd left the show before all this started, hence John Bryce being in charge of the casting.
Richy
Nutshell

Post by Richy »

Johnny O, who would you have liked to have played the part?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I've always felt an Avengers heroine should be an actress who's brilliant as a baddie.

I love Linda Thorson but Mary Peach would have been great. She's great in Who story Enemy of the World complete with leather gear and she was a magnificent detestable Milady De Winter From the 1967 bbc Three Musketeers and she was natural blonde so no hair dye. :)
Richy
Nutshell

Post by Richy »

I like Lind Thorson too but wondered what Valerie Van Ost, Jane Merrow and Trecy Reed would have been like. I wonder if Reed would have been too similar in looks, eg hair and stature to Diana Rigg.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5_B8hVExwc
I agree, I'd have preferred Mary Peach as Tara - here she is in looking lovely in A Pair of Briefs (1962)
driving an appropriately Avengers style E-Type Jaguar - a look at what might have been.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

The screen tests for the Tara King role on the DVD actually show off Thorson's strengths compared to the others tested. Can't explain it but they were not quite right for the part.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

anti-clockwise wrote:The screen tests for the Tara King role on the DVD actually show off Thorson's strengths compared to the others tested. Can't explain it but they were not quite right for the part.
I haven't seen the auditions, so I can't compare, but I am reminded of when controversial Dr. Who producer John Nathan Turner was desperate to cast Sylvester McCoy in the title role against all opinion in the BBC. He was required to arrange screen tests by his bosses, so hastily arranged three of the worst actors in the history of TV to test alongside McCoy, thus 'proving' that he was right all along. If the other actresses failed to impress in The Avengers tests, I wonder if this was an example of Bryce making sure his girlfriend got the part? Just a thought.
Richy
Nutshell

Post by Richy »

I have those tests on a Dr Who dvd and Sylvester was by far the best to audition for the role. I grow up with him as my Doctor.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Johnny O wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:The screen tests for the Tara King role on the DVD actually show off Thorson's strengths compared to the others tested. Can't explain it but they were not quite right for the part.
I haven't seen the auditions, so I can't compare, but I am reminded of when controversial Dr. Who producer John Nathan Turner was desperate to cast Sylvester McCoy in the title role against all opinion in the BBC. He was required to arrange screen tests by his bosses, so hastily arranged three of the worst actors in the history of TV to test alongside McCoy, thus 'proving' that he was right all along. If the other actresses failed to impress in The Avengers tests, I wonder if this was an example of Bryce making sure his girlfriend got the part? Just a thought.
You could be very right. Interesting on Dr. Who the tricks they play to get their favorite.

I am not good with the names of the others in the screen tests for Tara. Minor inflections of the voice or phrasing are tricky but can make the scene sound surprisingly different.
All I can say is acting is harder than it looks. I know that for the classic movie Gone with the Wind, many famous actresses of the day were tested until they found Vivien Leigh. The lesser known actress in this case was actually the best drama queen tested. :lol:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Richy
Nutshell

Post by Richy »

That's true Anti-clockwise