Avengers on vinyl

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Derek

I can do, although my thinking was that everyone would know those Laurie Johnson and the London Studio Orchestra recordings.

When I find the time I'll list them.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

This is the recent collection I referred to

Sub-Title: British Tv, Film And Library Composers 1955-78 [VINYL] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0085QBBT0/ ... dvb164JBRQ
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Derek

As requested, product information for the Laurie Johnson and the London Studio Orchestra recordings.

Laurie Johnson and The London Studio Orchestra
Music From The Avengers, The New Avengers, The Professionals

UK: Unicorn-Kachana KPM 7009, released November 1980
Includes versions of the Johnson theme and The New Avengers,
plus incidental music from The Joker, Pandora, Cat Amongst the
Pigeons, Tale of the Big Why & Obsession
Gatefold sleeve

Laurie Johnson
The Avengers

USA: Starlog/Varesse Sarabande ASV 95003, released 1982
This is the American version of the above
The London Studio Orchestra are only credited on the back cover

The London Studio Orchestra conducted by Laurie Johnson
The Avengers

USA: Silva Screen ASV 95003, released January 1989
Re-issue of above with The Professionals tracks replaced by
some of Laurie Johnson’s incidental music for films, including
First Men in the Moon and Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Similar cover photograph to the above
Also available on CD
Last edited by MikeR on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

Thank you! I didn't realise there was a reissue on vinyl. I've only ever seen the CD. I'll keep looking!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Marble Arch LP text.

FRONT (4 process colour - text is purple except for the second line, which is pink, field is white):

[Marble Arch logo]
The Laurie Johnson Orchestra Plays
The Avengers
(Theme From The A.B.C. Television Series)
And Other Favourites

[deep etched photo of Steed and Mrs Peel, back to back]

BACK (black & white):

MONO MAL 695
[Marble Arch logo]
The Laurie Johnson Orchestra Plays
The Avengers
(Theme From The A.B.C. Television Series)
And Other Favourites

SIDE ONE
THEME FROM THE T.V. SERIES "THE AVENGERS"
BALA HA'I
MINOR BOSSA NOVA
MY FAVOURITE THINGS
I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE

SIDE TWO
IT'S A RAGGY WALTZ
SABRE DANCE
CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE
I'M OLD FASHIONED
BAUBLES, BANGLES & BEADS

Combinng the three talents of composer, arranger and conductor, Hampstead-born Laurie Johnson has had a wealth of experience in creating "big sounds". He has scored for and conducted orchestras ranging from some thirty musicians for big jazz arrangements to over eighty for film studio works.

To date, he has written for some 20 films, including Good Companions, The Moonraker, Tiger Bay, First Men In The Moon, and lately Dr. Strangelove or (How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb).

Although he studied at the Royal College of Music, Laurie Johnson - like so many of his contemporaries who work in similar spheres - has a truly catholic approach to, and appreciation of, all forms of ./..

../. musical expression. But he is, perhaps, more "broadminded" than many when he says that: "If you want a particular kind of written music played and interpreted perfectly, then you must use as key musicians men who are versed in the arts of improvisation! Jazz musicians, in fact."

Some would perhaps take issue with such a categorical statement, but there is absolutely no contending the fact that, in the case of this album, Laurie Johnson proves his point up to the hilt.

He has gathered together here an orchestra of star session men, among them solo instrumentalists of outstanding ability, to give interpretations of scores that positively scintillate with originality.
LAURIE HENSHAW

Ask Your Dealer For These Popular L.P.'s

[Searchers' Smash Hits Vol 2 - MAL 673]
[Los Tres Paraguayos MAL 675]
[Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen MAL 652]
[Bits of Joe Brown MAL 651]
[Mark Wynter MAL 647]
[Irish Folk MAL 680]

(C) Pye Records Limited 1967 Distributed by Pye Records (Sales) Ltd. ATV House Great Cumberland Place London W1

Printed and made by Garrod & Lofthouse Ltd. Patents Pending

The disc labels reveal that some items are (P) 1963-5 and it's a Record Supervision Production, as well as listing the writing credits and copyrights (Allegro, Chappell, Famous Chappell, Harms-Witmark, Williamson, Frank, Copyright Control)

Harms-Witmark is listed for "The Avengers" Theme.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

I've added the details of the French New Avengers theme to the vinyl singles listing above after coming across it while looking for something else yesterday.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Piers

The names Chappell etc are the music publishers for the individual tracks.

Pye were based at ATV House on Great Cumberland Street in London, because at the time they were owned by Lew Grade’s ATV company and later in 1980 they changed their name to PRT (Precision Records and Tapes), though by this time they were primarily a re-issue and budget label. Their heyday had been in the sixties as Pye when they boasted chart acts such as The Kinks, The Searchers, Sandie Shaw and Petula Clark, plus the first recordings by Status Quo. PRT ceased operation in 1989 and the back catalogue including The Laurie Johnson Orchestra’s theme to The Avengers and various other TV themes were sold to Castle Communications.

Castle frequently reissued this TV themes back catalogue on various compilation Sequel Records CDs such as The Avengers and other Top Sixties TV Themes in 1998, The Persuaders! and other Top Seventies TV Themes, Thunderbirds and other Top Sixties TV Themes and finally Classic Sixties TV Themes (though this final offering was on the Select label) in 1999. The first and the last included The Laurie Johnson Orchestra’s recording of The Avengers theme. Overall these CDs are quite good, but the first is very good as it contains various other Laurie Johnson TV themes, as well as various other interesting TV theme tracks.

Castle Communications was acquired by the American music distributor Alliance Entertainment 1994 and then in 2000 it was absorbed into Sanctuary Record Group. The label dissolved when Sanctuary became a subsidiary of the Universal Music Group 2007, with its back catalogue of masters now being owned by BMG Rights Management.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

DerekD wrote:This is the recent collection I referred to

Sub-Title: British Tv, Film And Library Composers 1955-78 [VINYL] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0085QBBT0/ ... dvb164JBRQ
Derek

Although I don’t have this album, I do have several of the tracks on other albums.

Light Flight by The Pentangle (Theme to the early seventies BBC drama Take Three Girls)

Man Alive by Tony Hatch (Theme to early seventies BBC current affairs programme)

Tomorrow’s World by Richard Denton & Martin Cook (Seventies theme to BBC science/breaking technology series)

At the Sign of the Swinging Cymbal by The Brian Fahey Orchestra (Theme used during sixties and seventies to radio Top 30 chart show hosted by DJ Alan (Fluff) Freeman on Radio 1 Sunday evenings. “Not arf, pop-pickers,” as his catchphrase used to go.

The Contract Man by Bullet (An incidental track from The Hanged Man TV serial made by my local Yorkshire Television and screened in 1975)

Echo Four Two by The Laurie Johnson Orchestra (Jazz based theme for short-lived 1961 spin-off Associated-Rediffusion series from crime show No Hiding Place)

The Persuaders! by John Barry (Theme to 1971 ITC film series starring Roger Moore and Tony Curtis)

The Avengers by Johnny Gregory and his Orchestra (Cover version of the Johnny Dankworth theme used on the videotaped episodes)

Get Carter by Roy Budd (Theme to the hard-hitting 1971 crime film starring Michael Caine)

I’d like to suggest the following compilation albums for plenty of TV themes.

The Avengers and Other Top Sixties TV Themes – Various Artists (2CD Sequel NEM CD 976)

The A to Z of British TV Themes Volume 2 – Various Artists (Play It Again PLAY 006)

Girl in a Suitcase Upgraded – Various Artists (2CD Winchester Hospital Radio WHRCD 001)

The first of my recommended items has been issued on vinyl.

The third has a huge amount of library tracks of which many have been utilised as TV themes and incidental music.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

Some interesting suggestions there, thanks. I recently picked up the 45 vinyl version of the Dankworth theme from 1963. Less common than the 1961 version
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MikeR wrote:The Avengers & The New Avengers themes on vinyl single

Johnny Dankworth and his Orchestra

Avengers Theme/Chano
UK: Columbia DB 4694, released September 1961

Johnny Dankworth and his Orchestra
The Avengers/Off The Cuff
UK: Fontana TF 422, released November 1963

The Laurie Johnson Orchestra
Theme From The T.V. Series “The Avengers”/Minor Bossa Nova
UK: Pye 7N 17015, released December 1965 in picture sleeve
USA: HBR HBR-470, released April 1966 in picture sleeve
New Zealand: Pye 7N 17015, released May 1966
Germany: Hit-Ton HT 300116, released September 1967 in picture sleeve

Joe Loss and his Orchestra
Thunderbirds/The Avengers
UK: HMV POP 1500, released January 1966
Cover version of Laurie Johnson’s theme to The Avengers on the B-side

The Marketts
Theme From The T.V. Series “The Avengers”/A Touch Of Velvet – A Sting Of Brass
USA: Warner Brothers 5814, released May 1966
Thema aus der Fernsehserie "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone", Theme from "The Avengers"/A Touch Of Velvet - A Sting Of Brass
Germany: Warner Brothers A 5814, released 1966
Cover version of Laurie Johnson’s theme to The Avengers

The Laurie Johnson Orchestra
The New Avengers Theme/A Flavour Of The New Avengers
UK: EMI EMI 2526, released November 1976 in picture sleeve
France: EMI EMI - 2C 006-98.559, released 1977 in picture sleeve
B-side credited to Patrick Macnee, Joanna Lumley & Gareth Hunt

Laurie Johnson and The London Studio Orchestra
The Professionals Main Title/On Target/The New Avengers Main Title
UK: Unicorn-Kachana CI5, October 1980 in picture sleeve
Sleeve printed wrong way round so The New Avengers appeared on the front cover

The Wright Orchestra
Out Of The Box/Pacific Strip
UK: Polydor POSP 356, October 1981
Includes medley of themes including the Laurie Johnson theme and The New Avengers

great list......wonderful info...