From Venus with love-love it or loathe it!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There are some great Diana Rigg lines too - "No, I'm feeling positively Stubborn!" and "Ah, well. It's better than a peroxide rinse!" I love the bit where she's skulking around the garage in her most iconic blue 'Emmapeeler'.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

For whatever reason, I've seen Venus fewer times than other Emma colours, probably because the channel that I was watching the show on didn't air it for quite awhile. I always feel as though I haven't really "seen" it for that reason, but from what I remember it's an entertaining bit of fluff, like most of season 5 (love the hat eye test--and Steed's stylish white bowler :wink: ). There's nothing wrong with fluff!

I always feel sorry for Cyd Child running through that burning door as Emma, though. I remember reading in her interview that she hated doing that scene.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think one simply has to accept that The Avengers 'in color' contains far less plot but more impressive sets, fights, and 'cartoon action'. Venus is a perfect example of this new breed of Avengers which arrived in 1967. That is why it is such a shock when we get the occasional return to a more edgy Avengers story as in The Joker, Murdersville, Stay Tuned or Take Over. That's why I love the show...it was constantly changing and re-inventing itself.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I don't care for many of the series 5 episodes but this is one of my favourites as it has more variety of locations that most of them. I love that stylised graveyard set. Robert Day's direction isn't that great but it serves its purpose. Laurie Johnson does a great job of incorporating Venus into his incidental music.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: From Venus with love-love it or loathe it!

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Having watched all of the monochrome, this week I've started watching the colour Mrs Peel season. For the umpteenth time! When I first joined this forum I was so surprised to see so many negative comments from Avengers fans about this season in particular. I think it's a great season, hardly a dull moment, and the second best after season 4. Venus is a terrific episode. One of the best from this season. Not too big on plot admittedly. But big on style, lots of fun and great characters such as the Brigadier acting out his memoirs, Venus who manages to act ethereal and hammy at one and the same time, and my favourite, Bertram Smith the chimney sweep. What do you all think?
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 4TH BEST SEASON 5 EPISODE.
some pretty good points...this season, was full of similar episodes, one would either love or hate 'em...as the Peel era was winding down
Allard
The Ministry

Re: From Venus with love-love it or loathe it!

Post by Allard »

mousemeat wrote:
some pretty good points...this season, was full of similar episodes, one would either love or hate 'em...as the Peel era was winding down

First you love 'em, then as you start to know the other season you love 'em less.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I agree. Comparing Seasons 4 and 5 I cannot help but feel that the arrival of colour coincided with a general dumbing down. It was made clear to the writers in 1967 that the well researched plot were not required. Image was more important than dialogue. There are some great moments in Seasons 5 and 6 but the wonderful variety had almost gone, as had most of the top directors.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I think that makes From Venus with love a hit. Eleven positive comments out of twelve responses. I knew you all had good taste!
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

If we didn't have good taste, we wouldn't be members of this forum :lol: 8)
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think the episode has a similar feel to some of the final Peel ones, such as Positive Negative Man. I could also imagine it as a Tara episode.