EPIC

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

If Brian Clemens IS The Avengers then there are no Cybernauts (Levene), no Too Many Christmas Trees (Williamson) and no The Hour that Never Was (Marshall). The idea, in terms of writing, that the show IS Clemens shows a complete lack of respect to the many fine directors (Leaver, Hammond et al) and fine writers, many of whom were ousted by Clemens because he wanted complete control. Clemens wrote many fine episodes, as I have always been quick to acknowledge. I just don't happen to believe that this is one of them. However, the three aforementioned episodes are probably more popular among Avengers fans than any Clemens one. Of course he has come to be known as Mr Avengers. But the show was at its best when he didn't have a finger in every pie.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

^ I agree entirely.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

When I first watched "Epic" I didn't really like it and thought it was too silly and OTT, even for The Avengers. And I wish Steed had a larger role. Now that I've seen it a few more times, I think "Epic" is a good episode but not one of the best from season 5.
Allen
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

valid points

Post by mousemeat »

Artanis wrote:When I first watched "Epic" I didn't really like it and thought it was too silly and OTT, even for The Avengers. And I wish Steed had a larger role. Now that I've seen it a few more times, I think "Epic" is a good episode but not one of the best from season 5.
some very good points over the course of this thread..

Still think this one, pretty much sums up the colour era, and the direction it was taking
mousemeat

valid points

Post by mousemeat »

Artanis wrote:When I first watched "Epic" I didn't really like it and thought it was too silly and OTT, even for The Avengers. And I wish Steed had a larger role. Now that I've seen it a few more times, I think "Epic" is a good episode but not one of the best from season 5.

Still think this one, pretty much sums up the colour era, and the direction it was taking
mousemeat

valid points

Post by mousemeat »

Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

It was interesting at first.. but it quickly loses its sheen over repeat viewings- it starts to wear really thin.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:If Brian Clemens IS The Avengers then there are no Cybernauts (Levene), no Too Many Christmas Trees (Williamson) and no The Hour that Never Was (Marshall). The idea, in terms of writing, that the show IS Clemens shows a complete lack of respect to the many fine directors (Leaver, Hammond et al) and fine writers, many of whom were ousted by Clemens because he wanted complete control. Clemens wrote many fine episodes, as I have always been quick to acknowledge. I just don't happen to believe that this is one of them. However, the three aforementioned episodes are probably more popular among Avengers fans than any Clemens one. Of course he has come to be known as Mr Avengers. But the show was at its best when he didn't have a finger in every pie.
Oh, I didn't mean it like that! Your Dad gave me my favourite episode 'The Hour That Never Was' - I didn't mean *any* disrespect at all! I love The Avengers - it's just that sometimes people seem to pull it to bits all the time I wonder why they are in fact here! I just happen to like Brian Clemens' episodes! And, it's up to me what I think is 'pure Avengers' and it's up to you what you think is 'pure Avengers' - I meant *no* disrespect at all even though it may have sounded or read that way. :)
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

no offence taken. What is 'pure' Avengers is, of course, a matter of opinion, although it seems strange to use Epic as 'the episode' when it really is about the fictionality of fiction, about The Avengers being filmed as The Avengers. I don't mind the episode but is it really as memorable as some of the others? Is the series not more interesting when it has a dramatic undercurrent, such as in Clemens' The Town of No Return, Death at Bargain Prices or Murdersville? Clemens played a key role in the show, but variety is the spice of life and I think that writers such as Levene and Williamson had more wit.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:no offence taken. What is 'pure' Avengers is, of course, a matter of opinion, although it seems strange to use Epic as 'the episode' when it really is about the fictionality of fiction, about The Avengers being filmed as The Avengers. I don't mind the episode but is it really as memorable as some of the others? Is the series not more interesting when it has a dramatic undercurrent, such as in Clemens' The Town of No Return, Death at Bargain Prices or Murdersville? Clemens played a key role in the show, but variety is the spice of life and I think that writers such as Levene and Williamson had more wit.
I totally agree with you Rodney! Variety is the spice of life! Nobody knows that more than me - it will all be revealed in autobiography - if I dare :shock:
But, I just like Epic but not at the exception of any other episodes - but I like all that cartoonery - it's just me :?