Dutch channel ONS showing The Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: The second series was preceded by four repeats from series 1 - obviously the Dutch programmers' favourites - and ours as well, I think!

They were:

"Target!", "Three Handed Game", "Sleeper", and ... oh, "Gnaws" ....

So close!
Haha! Thanks. I watched Gnaws recently and it wasn't as bad as I remember, at least it had a couple of good guest actors in it like Julian Holloway and Jeremy Young (both had been in The Avengers before). It's sad to read that Jeremy Young passed away last month.

What should have been the other "best" series 1 episode to be repeated? Faces, perhaps? My preference would be Cat Amongst the Pigeons, or House of Cards, I'd put both of those ahead of The Three-Handed Game, and they both have great Diabolical Masterminds.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

dissolute wrote:I have a few questions for Dutch fans, so this might be for Allard.

Were the Dutch titles on screen, or just in the TV guides? They seem slightly variable in the newspaper listings and I notice that it says the episodes had Dutch subtitles rather than being dubbed.

I've found on 12/12/1967 some paper list "De autorally" (Dead Man's Treasure), but several others list "De vreesaanjagers", which I take to be The Fear Merchants - although that episode does later appear (9/8/1969) under the title "Handel in angst".

Could "De vreesaanjagers" have been The Dangermakers?

Also, the original Cybernauts story seems to not have been shown, as several listings for "De robot" on 2/12/1967 refer to Beresford in the summary, which makes it "Return of the Cybernauts".

...[/code]
A very impressive list. Great to have these dates.
For clarification: Basically only children's programme get dubbed in NL.

De Autorally must definitely be Dead Man's Treasure.

"Vreesaanjagers" would translate as "Fright /fear provokers / inducers" Could be both The Danger Makers or The Fear Merchants. I deem it unlikely a given episode would have different titles on different broadcast IF by the same channel, they just repeat and don't double their workload.

Titles do wildly differ with each broadcaster and DVD release.

On A Touch of Brimstone being absent: That must be correct. For comparison a 1980 scene or commercial with Paul Eddington was not allowed transmission in The Netherlands due to a woman with too provocative red lips. Also keep in mind that The Avengers was broadcast by KRO, the Catholic broadcasting society.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

"Clowns in moordenaars" is not propper Dutch, I would guess "Clowns in moordenaarsshoenen" to be the full title (Clowns in murderers shoes) a wordplay on clowns shoes, but this is guesswork on my part.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

You same to have figured out which is which, but here my identification of TNA episodes, just to lessen the chance of mistakes:

28/10/1976 8:25 PM Het Adelaarsnest = Eagle's Nest
7/10/1976 8:25 PM (De) Kaarten des doods (1) = House of Cards
21/10/1976 8:25 PM De laatste de(r) Cybernauten = Last of the CB
14/10/1976 8:25 PM Midas = .... Touch
11/11/1976 8:25 PM Een kat tussen de duiven = Cat Amongst the Pigeons
30/12/1976 8:25 PM Doelwit = Target
4/11/1976 8:25 PM Ratten vangen = To Catch a at
25/11/1976 8:25 PM Het grote waarom = Tale Big Why
9/12/1976 8:25 PM Gezichten = Faces
23/12/1976 8:25 PM Knabbelaars = Gnaws
6/01/1977 8:25 PM De verdwenen generaal = Dirtier Dozen
16/12/1976 8:25 PM Slaap = Sleeper
2/12/1976 8:25 PM De Geheugenbank = Three Handed Game
17/10/1977 8:25 PM Gevaarlijke Lijken = Dead Men are D.
31/10/1977 8:25 PM Engelen van de dood = Angels of Death
10/10/1977 8:25 PM Het medium = Medium Rare
7/11/1977 8:25 PM De Eenhoorn = Lion Unicorn
24/10/1977 8:25 PM Obsessie
29/09/1977 8:25 PM De Val = Trap
14/11/1977 8:25 PM De M van Moord
21/11/1977 8:25 PM De M van Moord
28/11/1977 8:25 PM Het Complex
3/10/1977 8:25 PM De gijzeling = Hostage
12/12/1977 8:25 PM De geheime basis = Forward B
19/12/1977 8:25 PM Emily
5/12/1977 8:25 PM De gladiatoren
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Allard wrote:"Clowns in moordenaars" is not propper Dutch, I would guess "Clowns in moordenaarsshoenen" to be the full title (Clowns in murderers shoes) a wordplay on clowns shoes, but this is guesswork on my part.
Thanks, the listings that bother with the title use the same abbreviation:

Limburgsch Dagblad, 28/4/1970

Zierkzeesche Nieuwsbode, 28/4/1970, with a little bit of upside-down text by a careless typesetter!
Last edited by dissolute on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Allard wrote: A very impressive list. Great to have these dates.
For clarification: Basically only children's programme get dubbed in NL.

De Autorally must definitely be Dead Man's Treasure.

"Vreesaanjagers" would translate as "Fright /fear provokers / inducers" Could be both The Danger Makers or The Fear Merchants. I deem it unlikely a given episode would have different titles on different broadcast IF by the same channel, they just repeat and don't double their workload.

Titles do wildly differ with each broadcaster and DVD release.

On A Touch of Brimstone being absent: That must be correct. For comparison a 1980 scene or commercial with Paul Eddington was not allowed transmission in The Netherlands due to a woman with too provocative red lips. Also keep in mind that The Avengers was broadcast by KRO, the Catholic broadcasting society.
Thanks, So The Danger Makers was listed but Dead Man's Treasure seems to appear on the same date in most listings, so it might not have been shown at all - or, like "Room without a View", it was a stand-by programme and replaced something else so its allocated slot was taken by the next Avengers episode. Alternatively, does all of Holland receive the same programmes (not counting the French, Belgian or German channels), or could the north have possibly seen a different episode to the south?

Or is "Handel in angst" not the fear merchants at all??? One was on N1 and the other N2, but they were both KRO broadcasts per se.

Zierkzeesche Nieuwsbode 9/8/1969

"Room without a View" replaced a broadcast of the MIK concert because the footage arrived at the station too late to be broadcast.

de Stem, 6/2/1967

Conversely, "Return of the Cybernauts" was postponed by a Feijenoord v. Arsenal match on 14/11/1967, and finally shown on 2/12/1967.

Nieuwe Leidsche Courant, 15/11/1967

One interesting thing about these Dutch broadcasts is they switched between colour and black and white episodes after the colour ones started.
Last edited by dissolute on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Allard wrote:You same to have figured out which is which, but here my identification of TNA episodes, just to lessen the chance of mistakes:
Yes, I agree with all that, thanks!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

So "Handel in Angst" is most definitely The Fear Merchants.

Clowns en Moordenaars is proper Dutch. (Clowns and Murderers)

Although broadcasting did happen by ether until 2007 so each transmitter could theoretically broadcast differently the Netherlands has never had localised variations of channels like BBC one of regional franchises like ITV. (We didn't get local stations until the late 90s). The schedules and broadcasting will always be national and uniform.

Side note: there also, albeit briefly, was a pirate TV channel called TV Noordzee from the REM-island which did broadcast The Saint. I never found mention of The Avengers being part of their line up. But them being illegal (well actually they were legal, until emergency legislation was passed), their TV listing would not likely be published in newspapers and magazines.

If you're not already aware of how the Dutch public broadcasting system works (worked), wikipedia explains it pretty well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_pub ... ing_system
It has member based broadcasters, of which the KRO is one, a unique arrangement in the world.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Thanks, so it's most likely that The Danger Makers made way for Dead Man's Treasure. The listings I have are fairly evenly split, but I think there were more that had "De autorally" overall.

I'll do a quick recheck of all the papers for that date and see.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:So "Handel in Angst" is most definitely The Fear Merchants.

Clowns en Moordenaars is proper Dutch. (Clowns and Murderers)

Although broadcasting did happen by ether until 2007 so each transmitter could theoretically broadcast differently the Netherlands has never had localised variations of channels like BBC one of regional franchises like ITV. (We didn't get local stations until the late 90s). The schedules and broadcasting will always be national and uniform.

Side note: there also, albeit briefly, was a pirate TV channel called TV Noordzee from the REM-island which did broadcast The Saint. I never found mention of The Avengers being part of their line up. But them being illegal (well actually they were legal, until emergency legislation was passed), their TV listing would not likely be published in newspapers and magazines.

If you're not already aware of how the Dutch public broadcasting system works (worked), wikipedia explains it pretty well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_pub ... ing_system
It has member based broadcasters, of which the KRO is one, a unique arrangement in the world.

interesting...hearing about a pirate broadcast station...how long did it exist ? etc