What Are the Chances of a Comeback?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

paulh wrote:Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!
audio form, has been making a valid comeback..sorta harkens back to the yesteryear of radio..but being popluar via audio VS film or TV, is a whole 'other kettle of fish...Could it happen ? sure. But the scripts would have to be top notch, unless they would be recycling scripts from the 60's, and selecting the right people to play Steed or Mrs.Peel...etc...I just don't see anyone out there having the chops to pull it off...
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

mousemeat wrote:
paulh wrote:Of course, the show has already made a comeback in audiobook form. Since 2014, Big Finish have released 26 episodes with Steed and Dr Keel, 12 with Steed and Mrs Peel, 4 (with a further 4 planned) with Steed and Tara King and a 2 part story reuniting Steed with Dr Keel, Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel and Tara King. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed them all!
audio form, has been making a valid comeback..sorta harkens back to the yesteryear of radio..but being popluar via audio VS film or TV, is a whole 'other kettle of fish...Could it happen ? sure. But the scripts would have to be top notch, unless they would be recycling scripts from the 60's, and selecting the right people to play Steed or Mrs.Peel...etc...I just don't see anyone out there having the chops to pull it off...
Very true. My own view is that any attempt to bring back the Avengers would stand a better chance of success if they went with the Steed and Mrs Gale partnership. In many ways their relationship is far more intriguing than any of Steed's relationships with his later partners. Also the fact that Mrs Gale is less well known in many countries could be an advantage. I'm not sure if she could pull it off on television, but Beth Chalmers was fantastic as Cathy in the audiobook series!
Old account paulpdjh
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Avengerholic wrote:Even if they did bring it back (and they wont) it would be dark, gritty and will have had all the fun taken out of it.
I think you can bring it back without being dark and gritty and without all the fun.
Murder in Paradise is a good exemple of what's still possible, although a murder case is of course not a comical event.
All you need is a good scriptwriter.

I also think you shouldn't rely too much on older charachters. The original series didn't either.
Steed's side-kick changed everytime the actress was replaced. There is no reason to hold on to the charachte rof Mrs. Peel.

The big problem is what to do about Steed?
Except for the 1st season he was in each episode. He was the most important binding element of all episodes.
In other words: could you replace Patrick Macnee?
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

There is pretty much no point in making a revival or reboot or remake.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:There is pretty much no point in making a revival or reboot or remake.
I concur 100 %.......
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

If they do it well, nobody will have any objection.

Imagine: franchises like Batman or Superman are much much older.
Prrr......
-----------
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Peter Motte wrote:If they do it well, nobody will have any objection.

Imagine: franchises like Batman or Superman are much much older.
the key word is ' IF '.....besides, you can't compare the show to either batman or superman TV series, as they were considered sub moronic.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Superman in the 50's, and Batman when it aired on U.S. ABC-TV in 1966 -68, but they were eye candy..compared to our beloved Avengers...interesting stories, snappy dialogue , great acting, etc..
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

True, the IF is a big IF...

What could be done, however, is making a new Avengers series with Purdy (Joanna Lumley) in a similar role as John Steed had in The New Avengers.
That would link things up.
Prrr......
-----------
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Peter Motte wrote:True, the IF is a big IF...

What could be done, however, is making a new Avengers series with Purdy (Joanna Lumley) in a similar role as John Steed had in The New Avengers.
That would link things up.
Could be interesting....but I don't see it happening....myself, always consider Purdy, to be the weakest link in the avengers...4th..behind Gale, Peel, and King..but that's just my opinion...depending on who they team her up with..it could very well signal a new era of the show...But at this point, Ms. Lumley is getting up in the years, as well...so a ' new ' girl would probably be selected...with a new name...( ??? )