Were there really LIVE episodes?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
tigerman
White Dwarf

Post by tigerman »

Allard wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Allard wrote: I wonder whether videotaping episodes really allowed for a lot or retaking. Even in Gale episodes we see little mistakes that were just incorporated. Camera rolling in to set pieces, Macnee tipping over the radio Steed uses.
And swearing!! Videotape was so expensive then that they really need to keep it for re-use, and editing was possible but only a handful of edits per recording as it meant physically cutting and re-splicing tape -- done too many times it would risk the tape splitting during reuse, which would abort an expensive studio performance/recording session. So once edited too many times a tape could not risk being used again.
Thanks, that's pretty good insight in how that technology worked in action.
true...but being so expensive...it's no wonder, reels of tape was bulked erased..and re used over and over....hence, the lack of complete series one episodes etc
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

The most glaring and infamous mistake was in Concerto. This was recorded (according to Dave Rogers book) 26/4/63 and transmitted nearly 11 months later 2/3/64. I've always found it strange that they left such an obvious mistake in, especially with so much time to edit, but I'm glad they did as it's now an enjoyable part of Avengers folklore :!:
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I stuffed up the spreadsheet and have started it again, will post when I've reworked it properly.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:The most glaring and infamous mistake was in Concerto. This was recorded (according to Dave Rogers book) 26/4/63 and transmitted nearly 11 months later 2/3/64. I've always found it strange that they left such an obvious mistake in, especially with so much time to edit, but I'm glad they did as it's now an enjoyable part of Avengers folklore :!:
What was the mistake? It has been a while since I saw it.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Franky, the actor whose name escapes me, dried for some time, and Patrick who was sat a table with him tried to fill in the time by picking up items on the table and examining them. Eventually the prompt came to the actor's rescue and his prompt is quite audible!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Here's my spreadsheet of PX and TX data for all episodes of The Avengers and The New Avengers.

Episodes broadcast live and recorded from trnasmission are highlighted in yellow.

Some dates are still open to debate, and the PX dates of The New Avengers are estimated as we don't know the exact dates; I've chosen the dates I have to indicate the known production order.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... dates.xlsx

I kind of drifted off when thinking to add any international data, as the ITV regional variations are such a nightmare and were more important. If anyone want to make edits, feel free...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Franky, the actor whose name escapes me, dried for some time, and Patrick who was sat a table with him tried to fill in the time by picking up items on the table and examining them. Eventually the prompt came to the actor's rescue and his prompt is quite audible!
Haha, brilliant. Patrick's a real pro. I must watch this again soon.
Last edited by Frankymole on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Nigel Stock was the actor. Apparently Brian Tesler was furious when he saw the episode and spotted the 'dry'.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

tigerman wrote:
Allard wrote:
Frankymole wrote:And swearing!! Videotape was so expensive then that they really need to keep it for re-use, and editing was possible but only a handful of edits per recording as it meant physically cutting and re-splicing tape -- done too many times it would risk the tape splitting during reuse, which would abort an expensive studio performance/recording session. So once edited too many times a tape could not risk being used again.
Thanks, that's pretty good insight in how that technology worked in action.
true...but being so expensive...it's no wonder, reels of tape was bulked

erased..and re used over and over....hence, the lack of complete series one episodes etc

So True....just imagine the Episodes bulk erased....now lost to the mists of time....
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

dissolute wrote:Here's my spreadsheet of PX and TX data for all episodes of The Avengers and The New Avengers.

Episodes broadcast live and recorded from trnasmission are highlighted in yellow.

Some dates are still open to debate, and the PX dates of The New Avengers are estimated as we don't know the exact dates; I've chosen the dates I have to indicate the known production order.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... dates.xlsx

I kind of drifted off when thinking to add any international data, as the ITV regional variations are such a nightmare and were more important. If anyone want to make edits, feel free...

Thanks for this, I presume the production date is when the episodes where "booked" complete in post production.
(Not that I am asking you to do this, but to one day have a list of rough filming dates as well would be awesome. )