Avengers directors - from Peter Hammond to you-know-who

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I was born on 3 June 1968 so am always interested in stuff happening that week. TV Comic's writer and artist went to the BBC studios to see the Quarks being recorded on my birthday! That's the highlight.

Nice to hear that there are so many documents knocking about.

To be fair, I'm glad I Dream of Jeannie was shown on Channel 4 at a different time of day than The Avengers. It'd be horrendous to choose between them, I loved Larry Hagman. I pity the poor Americans at the mercy of their implacable schedulers.

Ah yes, Mr. Hagman..journey man actor...who spent some years, trying to put distance between his role in I dream of jeannie...Actually, the son of Mary Martin, (south pacific, peter pan) was a lot better actor than some critics / fans, gave him credit for. In '72, he directed 'beware the Blob' a cheesy sequel (somewhat) of 1958's The BLOB...and of course, he landed the role of his career, J.R. in Dallas... he was a rare sort of acting bird
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Could be Peter Graham Scott, but other memos refer to his inverted shots in Master Minds positively (might have been Bryce who liked it though). Maybe Hayers? Brian didn't like Surfeit, although he disliked science fiction which seems to be the reason for that.

I was born 13 June 1968 so we're kindred spirits, Franky!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I was born on 3 June 1968 so am always interested in stuff happening that week. TV Comic's writer and artist went to the BBC studios to see the Quarks being recorded on my birthday! That's the highlight.

To be fair, I'm glad I Dream of Jeannie was shown on Channel 4 at a different time of day than The Avengers. It'd be horrendous to choose between them, I loved Larry Hagman. I pity the poor Americans at the mercy of their implacable schedulers.
actually, as viewers, we 'Americans' had it pretty good in terms of programs to watch..ABC / CBS / NBC / PBS/ and many independent stations showing both former network shows in reruns, to indie programs..and in my part of the U.S. where I grew up, We had programming from the CBC..with lots of programming from both Canada, and the UK...so there was lots of choose from, especially if one was a TV junkie.....as for my UK counterparts, the shoe was on the other foot...as you didn't have nearly the choices of programming to ponder over..some Americans would consider it to be a cultural waste land..was it ? not really...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:

actually, as viewers, we 'Americans' had it pretty good in terms of programs to watch..ABC / CBS / NBC / PBS/ and many independent stations showing both former network shows in reruns, to indie programs..and in my part of the U.S. where I grew up, We had programming from the CBC..with lots of programming from both Canada, and the UK...so there was lots of choose from, especially if one was a TV junkie.....as for my UK counterparts, the shoe was on the other foot...as you didn't have nearly the choices of programming to ponder over..some Americans would consider it to be a cultural waste land..was it ? not really...

To be fair, having a ton of programming to choose from, can be counter productive...for every great -or-beloved program like I dream of Jeannie, The man from UNCLE, Perry Mason, etc...you had dregs like ' My mother the Car'
' Me and the Chimp ' 'C.H.I.P.S.' etc did the UK have a similar problem ? probably not...then again, I'm sure they had their share of wretched programs as well...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: I was born 13 June 1968 so we're kindred spirits, Franky!
Haha yeah, that was clearly a good couple of weeks! They say if you can remember the 60s you weren't really there...
mousemeat wrote: To be fair, having a ton of programming to choose from, can be counter productive...for every great -or-beloved program like I dream of Jeannie, The man from UNCLE, Perry Mason, etc...you had dregs like ' My mother the Car'
' Me and the Chimp ' 'C.H.I.P.S.' etc did the UK have a similar problem ? probably not...then again, I'm sure they had their share of wretched programs as well...
The UK's the same, it follows Sturgeon's Law that "ninety percent of everything is crap" for television, same as the States... luckily we both got some good imports from each other, which cut out a lot of the garbage...
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote: I was born 13 June 1968 so we're kindred spirits, Franky!
Haha yeah, that was clearly a good couple of weeks! They say if you can remember the 60s you weren't really there...
mousemeat wrote: To be fair, having a ton of programming to choose from, can be counter productive...for every great -or-beloved program like I dream of Jeannie, The man from UNCLE, Perry Mason, etc...you had dregs like ' My mother the Car'
The UK's the same, it follows Sturgeon's Law that "ninety percent of everything is crap" for television, same as the States... luckily we both got some good imports from each other, which cut out a lot of the garbage...
I concur 100 %....good reply, Franky!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Intriguing and fascinating little facts.

What the Butler Saw is Bill Bain's only S4 episode, which is a fine one in my memory. Gee, try to find a bad S4 episode anyway. :lol:

On Macnee and Thorson loosing weight, they don't seem either particularly fat nor thin. Healthy slender for their respective ages, but it is a business where appearance plays a part. There was probably what we would now see as a callous attitude towards pills and "health farming" back than, but than again actors push their bodies much further these days.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:Intriguing and fascinating little facts.

What the Butler Saw is Bill Bain's only S4 episode, which is a fine one in my memory. Gee, try to find a bad S4 episode anyway. :lol:

On Macnee and Thorson loosing weight, they don't seem either particularly fat nor thin. Healthy slender for their respective ages, but it is a business where appearance plays a part. There was probably what we would now see as a callous attitude towards pills and "health farming" back than, but than again actors push their bodies much further these days.
exactly ...it's a whole different ball game...with actors, scripts, appearances, salaries. etc...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

It occurs to me that you-know-who might have been Wolf Rilla, who was replaced by Peter Graham Scott on The Murder Market
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:It occurs to me that you-know-who might have been Wolf Rilla, who was replaced by Peter Graham Scott on The Murder Market
Good point! I wonder how the former got on with Elizabeth Shepherd?
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"