Quintessential poll - series 6 the Tara King episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Quintessential poll - series 6 the Tara King episodes

Game
14%
Super Secret Cypher Snatch
No votes
You'll Catch Your Death
No votes
Split!
No votes
Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40
No votes
False Witness
No votes
All Done With Mirrors
29%
Legacy of Death
No votes
Noon Doomsday
No votes
Have Guns- Will Haggle
No votes
They Keep Killing Steed
14%
The Interrogators
No votes
The Rotters
No votes
Invasion of the Earthmen
No votes
Killer
No votes
The Morning After
No votes
The Curious Case of the Countless Clues
No votes
Wish You Were Here
No votes
Stay Tuned
7%
Take Me To Your Leader
7%
Fog
14%
Homicide and Old Lace
No votes
Love All
No votes
Get-A-Way!
No votes
Thingumajig
No votes
Pandora
No votes
Requiem
No votes
Take-Over
No votes
Who Was That Man I Saw You With?
No votes
My Wildest Dream
7%
Bizarre
7%

Total votes: 14

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I'm with you, I think "Look..." is probably the most typical. Though it was a hugely inventive and varied season and it's almost impossible to pin down a "formula".

That's why I love it far more than the colo(u)r Emma episodes which were more standardized, though they went a bit crazier towards the end (thank goodness).

It's also why only partisan idiots write it off. Some of the best of the Avengers is there; Brian Clemens said it was the season with the best scripts overall, taken as a whole.

I concur 100 % franky....you nailed it
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

It's very difficult to choose a "quintessential" episode for such a diverse season, but my choice went for Stay Tuned. I think that most of the more recognisable treats of the season are there: no clear mastermind, wonderful sets and photography, very atmospheric as a whole and Tara being very protective of Steed.

My other choices were "Who was that man I saw you with?", "Game" and "The Interrogators" (though they have Emma-Peel-era-style masterminds)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Brugeoise wrote:It's very difficult to choose a "quintessential" episode for such a diverse season, but my choice went for Stay Tuned. I think that most of the more recognisable treats of the season are there: no clear mastermind, wonderful sets and photography, very atmospheric as a whole and Tara being very protective of Steed.

My other choices were "Who was that man I saw you with?", "Game" and "The Interrogators" (though they have Emma-Peel-era-style masterminds)
all good choices...no matter which one is selected, ya' can't go wrong
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Brugeoise wrote:It's very difficult to choose a "quintessential" episode for such a diverse season, but my choice went for Stay Tuned. I think that most of the more recognisable treats of the season are there: no clear mastermind, wonderful sets and photography, very atmospheric as a whole and Tara being very protective of Steed.
Good choice - the location and "night" filming is impressive and a hallmark of the last season(s). Also, an excellent cast. I could quite happily make it one of my "Desert Island Disks" to represent the season(s).
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:I'm with you, I think "Look..." is probably the most typical. Though it was a hugely inventive and varied season and it's almost impossible to pin down a "formula".

That's why I love it far more than the colo(u)r Emma episodes which were more standardized, though they went a bit crazier towards the end (thank goodness).

It's also why only partisan idiots write it off. Some of the best of the Avengers is there; Brian Clemens said it was the season with the best scripts overall, taken as a whole.

I concur 100 % franky....you nailed it
Thanks matey! Thumbs up to you. Always appreciate your views, you're an expert Avenger expert!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

denis rigg wrote: Great, Franky, we are like-minded people. Fog and Mirrors are my favorites too. Although my mother thinks Fog is terrible.
Pfft. My mother writes off the early 1970s Dr Who as "all those soldiers running about". What do mums know?
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:
Good choice - the location and "night" filming is impressive and a hallmark of the last season(s). Also, an excellent cast. I could quite happily make it one of my "Desert Island Disks" to represent the season(s).
Good side note, these Tara King episodes are very versatile in contrast to the colo(u)rful Emma Peel series. Difficult to choose. Stay Tuned is this well-arranged episode in every way. I've often thought it was some sort of family episode.

Ha, I remember when I was recording Stay Tuned from TV, then in the first scene of deja-vu I wanted to press the stop button on the remote control, thinking that there was a glitch on the TV, it's good that I didn't. :lol:
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:
denis rigg wrote: Great, Franky, we are like-minded people. Fog and Mirrors are my favorites too. Although my mother thinks Fog is terrible.
Pfft. My mother writes off the early 1970s Dr Who as "all those soldiers running about". What do mums know?
That's for sure. My mother often likes the less murderous Avengers line. Her favorites are The Joker and The £50,000 Breakfast. From the worst for her - Never, Never Say Die.

As for the Tara King episodes, I think that Stay Tuned she watched the most times.

In fact, I am still worried about one clue. When in the winter of 1995 the episode Requiem was shown for the first time on Russian TV, my mother, seeing the tag of the episode, said "Something familiar." :shock:

Then I began to suspect that selected episodes of the series could be shown in the USSR, but after researching newspapers I came to the conclusion that this did not happen. However, my mother lived in Algeria, North Africa in her youth!
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
That's for sure. My mother often likes the less murderous Avengers line. Her favorites are The Joker and The £50,000 Breakfast. From the worst for her - Never, Never Say Die.

As for the Tara King episodes, I think that Stay Tuned she watched the most times.

In fact, I am still worried about one clue. When in the winter of 1995 the episode Requiem was shown for the first time on Russian TV, my mother,

seeing the tag of the episode, said "Something familiar." :shock:

Then I began to suspect that selected episodes of the series could be shown in the USSR, but after researching newspapers I came to the conclusion that this did not happen. However, my mother lived in Algeria, North Africa in her youth!

how mind boggling. it had to be...viewing these misc episodes on Russian TV, etc...
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

mousemeat wrote:
denis rigg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Pfft. My mother writes off the early 1970s Dr Who as "all those soldiers running about". What do mums know?

In fact, I am still worried about one clue. When in the winter of 1995 the episode Requiem was shown for the first time on Russian TV, my mother,

seeing the tag of the episode, said "Something familiar." :shock:

how mind boggling. it had to be...viewing these misc episodes on Russian TV, etc...
Oh, my Steed, I just talked to my mother about the topic of "her stay in North Africa", because I had asked little about her past earlier and she said that had been there for about three months. Ha, it was my grandmother who is still alive and told me about the past of her family in such a way that I came to the conclusion that they all lived there together for several years there. It turned out that my grandmother and her husband lived there for some time, and my mother just visited them. It’s good that I asked my mother, so as not to misinform if necessary.
Denis