Can somebody explain me...?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Every year Brian Clemens suggests a get-together "next year" but as yet it has not happened.
Steed's brolly
Nutshell

Post by Steed's brolly »

I have never seen Steed reading Tintin in an episode, and people are saying that he's reading them in 2-3 episodes which makes me really happy as it reminds me of how many episodes I have yet to enjoy !

I love Tintin, and I would disagree that it's 'childish' - yes, of course it's a comic book, but not in a Beano or Dennis the Menace kind of way, it's one of those comics/cartoons that adults enjoy as well as children ( like Asterix, or the Simpsons ).
I was actually reading 'The Seven Crystal Balls' only the other month, and I think the plots, storylines, humour and above all Georges Remi aka. Hergé's illustrations are extraordinarily excellent.
Not to mention that Tintin was often the answer in the now obsolete game 'name 10 famous Belgians'...
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I don't think it's childish at all. I think it gives a very nice touch to Steed's persona, especially in the earlier episodes.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Frankymole wrote:
ricardomartins wrote:Cheers for the replies, guys. I never imagined Tintin books were popular in UK, because none of my british friends ever mentioned them as a childhood influence.
Tintin is hugely popular in Britain, and indeed some books about Tintin by British authors are quite sought-after:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tintin-Complete ... 85&sr=8-46

Yes, I remember watching it on the telly every week! 'Herge's Adventures of Tin Tin!' said the voice even though I though t it was Hershey's at the time which I didn't understand either :D

PS: And, Tintin was on stage at the Barbican and the Young Vic a couple of years back at Christmastime..I remember I did a workshop on it at the Young Vic

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Philippa wrote:I don't think it's childish at all. I think it gives a very nice touch to Steed's persona, especially in the earlier episodes.
I agree. I think only in the UK we think of comics as childish. Tintin and Asterix are viewed quite differently in Europe.

A girl in my office is addicted to Calvin and Hobbes and is often to be seen reading compiled volumes of it during her coffee break.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Philippa wrote:I don't think it's childish at all. I think it gives a very nice touch to Steed's persona, especially in the earlier episodes.
I agree. I think only in the UK we think of comics as childish. Tintin and Asterix are viewed quite differently in Europe.

A girl in my office is addicted to Calvin and Hobbes and is often to be seen reading compiled volumes of it during her coffee break.
I know the Disney Duck comics are infinintely popular in Europe as well--800,000 subscriptions in Finland alone for the roughly 5 million people. They can't all be for the kiddies (although a lot of those, particularly the Don Rosa installments, aren't strictly for kids. Don's stuff is fantastic and wonderfully layered).

Calvin and Hobbes is brilliant as well, and infinitely philisophical (well, it would be considering who it was named after!).

I think the Tintin books are a wonderful little extra to Steed's character. He does have his moments of childlike glee. They probably keep him relatively sane considering his job. I don't know much about Tintin myself, but when I was Quebec, it was literally everywhere.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Although I don't consider myself a fan I can still enjoy a Carl Barks story very much.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

This was my favourite character as a child. About as English as you can get...

http://www.robwaller.org/blog/uploaded_ ... 745242.jpg
Warning: large image.

No Christmas was complete without a Rupert Annual (sigh).
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Courier13
Thingumajig

Post by Courier13 »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I think the Tintin books are a wonderful little extra to Steed's character. He does have his moments of childlike glee.
Oddly enough, Tin Tin isn't actually a childish character (he is a hardnosed reporter), the supporting cast provides all the laughs.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

get together?

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:Every year Brian Clemens suggests a get-together "next year" but as yet it has not happened.
sure hope it happens soon..time marches on

as for TIN TIN, it's totally a UK thing..americans just don't get it..