Which Mrs Peel outfit would you most and least want to own?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Re: Which Mrs Peel outfit would you most and least want to own?

Post by QueenOfSin »

I definitely prefer her clothes from series 5. Her clothes there are bright, cheerful, fun and for the most part sensible looking. Her series 4 clothes with few exceptions either make her look older or are just plain odd looking. The skirt and jacket combinations are like something a posh business woman wears and don't look at all easy or practical to do any kind of fighting/investigating in. The odd stuff is too, well odd, although that may be due to it being black and white, in colour it might not look so strange.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

There's one of our members who owns a couple of her series 4 outfits, I'm hugely jealous.

I forget what the other one is, might be from Dial a Deadly Number, but his pride and joy is this one from "Honey for the Prince":
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

That is a nice outfit, one of the better series 4 ones. I would actually wear a top like that myself which I can't say is the case for a lot of the black & white series. The outfit I'd most want to have is the yellow check patterned top from Death's Door, I just find it really pretty. That and perhaps the pink & blue or purple and blue emmapeeler. Incidentally, isn't the emmapeeler basically a tracksuit or a forerunner to one?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

QueenOfSin wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:43 pm Incidentally, isn't the emmapeeler basically a tracksuit or a forerunner to one?
I don't think so, tracksuits were normally two-piece outfits, separate top and trousers (though matching patterns and fabrics). It's more like a jumpsuit or catsuit, I guess.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

Is it all one piece then? I alway thought it was two, matching top and trousers. I should think a one piece outfit isn't very practical at all!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, Emmapeelers are one-piece jumpsuit type garments. Fiona Bruce tried one out on Antiques Roadshow a few years back. I dunno about practicality, they were a lot more comfortable than the leather, apparently.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

I bet they were, the leather ones look quite awkward to move about easily in and I'd also think they would he uncomfortably hot, especially on a warm day. I wouldn't want to wear them. I'd rather the emmapeelers any day, though I do think they're rather impractical. You can't remove it easily if it's hot or it gets wet/stained and um, the bathroom breaks must be really tricky :lol:.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

QueenOfSin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 pm I bet they were, the leather ones look quite awkward to move about easily in and I'd also think they would he uncomfortably hot, especially on a warm day. I wouldn't want to wear them. I'd rather the emmapeelers any day, though I do think they're rather impractical. You can't remove it easily if it's hot or it gets wet/stained and um, the bathroom breaks must be really tricky :lol:.
On the latter point I have to feel some sympathy for Uma Thurman in the ill-fated Avengers movie of the mid-1990s. Apparently she had to be sewn in to her costume, it was so tight, which must've made taking a tinkle somewhat difficult.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:24 am
QueenOfSin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 pm I bet they were, the leather ones look quite awkward to move about easily in and I'd also think they would he uncomfortably hot, especially on a warm day. I wouldn't want to wear them. I'd rather the emmapeelers any day, though I do think they're rather impractical. You can't remove it easily if it's hot or it gets wet/stained and um, the bathroom breaks must be really tricky :lol:.
On the latter point I have to feel some sympathy for Uma Thurman in the ill-fated Avengers movie of the mid-1990s. Apparently she had to be sewn in to her costume, it was so tight, which must've made taking a tinkle somewhat difficult.
Especially as she was pregnant during filming!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Although I love browsing second hand stores, mainly for books, second hand clothing disgusts me to be honest. So I'd not be interested in owning any original Avengers stuff if it where clothing, a bowler hat accepted probably.

But if we are talking Mrs Peel's clothing, that little white dress from You Have Just Been Murdered and the sleeveless black top from Small Game for Big Hunters are very elegant and sexy on her.