Where to go Next... after Mrs. Peel

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Arguably the later Mrs Gale episodes have much in common with the early b/w Peel ones. Episodes such as The Murder Market, The Town of No Return, Dial a Deadly Number and Death at Bargain Prices all see conflict between Steed and his new partner and there is still a darker side to the episodes which is often absent or suppressed in Seasons 5 and 6. I don't see 1965 as a clean break from Season 3. The biggest problem for the viewer is coping with the far cruder production of a 'live' video-taped show. As a generalisation, in terms of thematic content Season 3 (Gale)and 4 (Peel) have much in common, as do Season 5 (Peel) and 6 (Tara).
Big Sid
Nutshell

Post by Big Sid »

I agree with Rodney. If after viewing all of the Emma Peel episodes, you find that you prefer the color seasons, then you should go on to Tara King. If you prefer the monochrome episodes, then give Cathy Gale a try. My personal favorites are the Cathy Gale seasons. I also enjoyed The New Avengers quite a bit. You really can't go wrong - you know you're going to end up seeing them all eventually!
Big Sid
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Big Sid wrote:You really can't go wrong - you know you're going to end up seeing them all eventually!
... it does seem that way! The weird this is that, with just about every other show I watch (except Doctor Who)*, it's all about watching the whole thing from the beginning. But with the Avengers, starting with Mrs. Peel means starting roughly in the middle.

* and with the Doctor, I agree with the Brigadier - great chap, all of them!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Personally, I'd go from Emma Peel to The New Avengers. That's my biased personal opinion. Objectively there is no correct answer.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's worth watching all of them. Great 1960s (and 1970s) show. "Splendid seasons, all of them!"
Last watched: "The Charmers"
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

A few years too late on this topic, but...

I have trouble getting through the Gale years. Bought a couple of VHS tapes from Lumiere back in the 90's and remember that I really enjoyed "Mr. Teddy Bear". I've owned the new and remastered Gale DVD set for quite some time now but can't get started... What am I doing wrong? Am I alone having this problem? I wish they could have added subtitles because a lot of dialogue is very hard to hear. Perhaps that's the trouble... I can't heard what they're saying.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

eleganceandthickcurtains wrote:A few years too late on this topic, but...

I have trouble getting through the Gale years. Bought a couple of VHS tapes from Lumiere back in the 90's and remember that I really enjoyed "Mr. Teddy Bear". I've owned the new and remastered Gale DVD set for quite some time now but can't get started... What am I doing wrong? Am I alone having this problem? I wish they could have added subtitles because a lot of dialogue is very hard to hear. Perhaps that's the trouble... I can't heard what they're saying.
You are doing nothing wrong. You are me roughly ten years ago. The first Cathy episode I ever watched was The Grandeur that was Rome. It was so boring, it's a wonder that I was able to ever watch another. If you come to the Gale era from the Emmas, Taras, or even TNA, it's a tough transition to make. I like to watch the Avengers as a way to kick back and relax, and the Gale era is not easy viewing. It's hard to hear what people are saying. It's hard to see what's going on--sometimes there would be another blonde character, and I'd spend the whole episode saying "Is that Cathy? Is that Cathy? Are either of these women Cathy? Is Cathy even in this episode?" The plots can be slow and plodding. Steed's kind of a jerk at this point--not particularly likeable. He and Cathy seemed to argue and yell at each other all the time, which gave me a bit of a headache after awhile. So I can understand why you're having problems getting into it. It's not the show you love in a lot of ways.

But don't give up on it just yet.

First, the new Optimum DVDs are a godsend. The image is cleaned up 1000%. I watched season 2, and the difference was night and day--literally. I could see what was going on. I could hear what was going on. Suddenly, following the plot didn't involve cranking the volume up to 100. If I was going to tell someone to only invest in one era of DVDs, I would recommend the Cathys. They really make the viewing experience so much more enjoyable. Pop your DVDs in. You'll be amazed.

Next, go and seek out some good top tens, and watch the recommended episodes. Don't try to watch it in production order if you're already struggling with it. There are lots of really, really brilliant Cathy episodes out there that you'll miss out on if you never give them a shot. There are also quite a few that would make good insomnia cures. If you see the former first, you'll be more likely to forgive the latter.

Also, be sure to have a look at the Dr. King/Venus episodes, which can be a bit a of relief when the Cathy/Steed dynamic gets a bit intense. You may like them, or you may not, but Cathy's not the only partner in season 2, and you owe it yourself to give all the partners a shot.

I really hope you'll give the Cathys a shot. It's not my favourite era, I confess, but I'm glad I persevered and watched them all, because there's something to love in every Avengers episode. Good luck!
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Here's a decent Top Ten of the Cathy years:
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/cathy.htm
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

I'm on Team Emma....always have been...but once I got into the Cathy series, I found myself liking them just as much.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

Big thanks for that lengthy and nice post, Timeless A-Peel! Wise words. I'm not giving up just yet... It's a bit similar to the "trouble" I have with my Danger Man box set. I almost need to force myself to actually pull out the box and look at an episode but once I'm sitting down watching I think it's the greatest TV ever made. And I get a warm and fuzzy feeling after completing an episode.

And thanks for the link Frankymole. I've actually looked at that, thinking it could help me. Guess it'll need another look!