Avengers director's cut ?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Re: casting

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

DiVicenzo wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Andrew Pixley wrote:Still very fond of this film indeed ... for all it faults, and it does have many. And I do think that if the footage was restored and material placed in its correct sequence, it would be far more coherent, stylish and enjoyable.

All the best

Andrew
The film did have it's moments...Overall, I think the casting was wrong.
Ralph & Uma missed their marks...Connery was marginal..

question : who else could have taken the roles of Steed and Mrs.Peel ???
I would buy a DVD with the restored footage but the casting was baaad!
Jim Broadbent as 'Mother' was great as was Eileen Atkins as 'Alice' and as for casting a new Steed and Mrs Peel I can only say that I can see Rachael Stirling as Emma and I have no idea about Steed :(
I liked Jim Broadbent's performance as well. There are redeeming features, again if you're not looking at it as an Avengers movie.

I still say Stephen Fry in his Jeeves and Wooster days would have made an excellent Steed.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Stephen Fry would make a good Mother. Have you seen QI, Timeless?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Stephen Fry would make a good Mother. Have you seen QI, Timeless?
I have not, alas. All I know is that it's keeping Stepehen from guesting on House (I have so many ideas for an ongoing story arc there it's not even funny).

Stephen's a bit past it now to play Steed, but when he was doing Jeeves I think he would have been perfect. He's got the right build, can wear a bowler, and is capable of the subtle menace and cheert bluster that Patrick was so brilliant at.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

OT: QI

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Stephen Fry would make a good Mother. Have you seen QI, Timeless?
I have not, alas.
There are lots of clips on YouTube. Here's Stephen giving Alan a lesson in grammar.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-XQ6MVAsM

Stephen talking about Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Ma7bZ2dH0

Bless YouTube. 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

It may benifit from having the missing footage reinstated and the scenes back in their original order :wink:
Last edited by Avengerholic on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

QI must be the greatest panel show ever! (Sorry for the exaggeration, but it's justified this time.) For a great deal thanks to Fry, he is great. But I just can't see him doing Steed.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Re: OT: QI

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I have not, alas.
There are lots of clips on YouTube. Here's Stephen giving Alan a lesson in grammar.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-XQ6MVAsM

Stephen talking about Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Ma7bZ2dH0

Bless YouTube. 8)
Bless, indeed! It looks hilarious. I love Stephen (and he's absolutely rignt about the grammar thing. It's "not one." I understand, Stephen! Do the difference between "less" and "fewer" next!).

But I still say if you watch him as Jeeves, he looks like he could pull off Steed. I'm open to other suggestions, but I haven't seen any other candidates.

JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I'd like to see those missing scenes.
I really want to discover the first one which was on the first version.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'm with Andrew in that I really enjoy the movie, even though I can see that it's not perfect by a long chalk. Its heart is in the right place, even if it ends up more Bond than Steed. I'd snap up a director's cut quicker than you could say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Actually, much quicker than that! :lol:
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Bodie
White Dwarf

Post by Bodie »

I saw this first when I was about 10 and didn't think much of it either way. I also acquired a few Warner VHS which had that infamous trailer on it, so it was a shock to me when I saw the film how little of that trailer is in the film.

I don't find it terribly good to be honest, the casting of the leads kind of looks good on paper but goes terribly awry on screen IMHO- Fiennes and Thurman have no chemistry IMHO, whilst Sean Connery hams it up shamelessly. But worst film ever material? Not by a long chalk- it's too good in the visual department to be dismissed in such a manner, really.