One wish...

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

The Avengers would come back to television as...

Poll ended at Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Same characters, same stories, but with new actors.
9%
Same actors and characters, but with updated story lines.
5%
The children/grandchildren of Steed/Emma/Tara, etc., following in their parent's/grandparent's footsteps.
18%
Keep the title and change everything else.
9%
Don't do anything. You can not replace the best show ever created.
59%

Total votes: 22

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

This is one I can't really vote on...

If it ever came back, I think the only character I would keep would be Steed. Can't bear the idea of 'son of Steed etc', and the stories would have to be new.

None of the options really fit my opinion! :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I suppose they could remake the missing season one episodes if they ever made the scripts, probably as radio plays (they were very wordy rather than visual).

Patrick Macnee is The Avengers though. If even spending gazillions of US dollars trying to recreate the show on a big screen fails, what would a TV series manage on its limited funds? Far better to make a NEW quirky adventure series, instead of trying to reheat cold ashes. TNA just about got away with it, but that still had Steed watching over things and the most charismatic actress of her generation was in it.

Let's keep the 60s/70s bundles of joy that we have, unsullied.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

helenofirvine wrote:And keep the music!!!! Can we resurrect Laurie Johnson???
He isn't dead yet!
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Frankymole wrote:
helenofirvine wrote:And keep the music!!!! Can we resurrect Laurie Johnson???
He isn't dead yet!
I was about to say that! ;)

And there can be other Steeds... Donald Monat proved that! He's just as much John Steed to me as Patrick is!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Indeed - that's why a radio/audio play season of the missing stories would work... and wouldn't require a gigantic budget to realise, either! Given the reruns of stuff as old as the 1940s on archive radio stations like BBC Radio 7, there's an audience out there too. And the Sherlock Holmes radio plays remain popular... so why not? If nothing else marked it out above such shows, the Avengers has better music!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Sam wrote:
And there can be other Steeds... Donald Monat proved that! He's just as much John Steed to me as Patrick is!
If you're saying Monet and Macnee are equally Steed then I beg to differ. Patrick is the only Steed - full stop.

The Avengers radio programme is a delight but none of it was meant to be equal to the original show.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

For a "remake" or whatever to work as The Avengers, you'd have to pinpoint what it is about the Avengers that makes it unique. Since the show ended it has inspired a great deal of shows. So what would the show do that isn't similar to loads of other shows since?

None of the options really connect with me. The children of the Avengers is really naff (I squirmed reading Clemens' idea for the daughter of Emma Peel or whatever it was).

I think a heavily stylised show would work well. Not one that tries to recreate the sixties but one that goes to places that you don't tend to see much on TV, or places that are presented with a twist.

I love the idea of making it in black and white as that would make it so distinctive. If the stories and production values were good enough, I don't see why people would be put off. Go for a very film noir look. Or if not B/W, a very vibrant, colourful look - not quite the same but like CSI Miami that has such an individual look and feel.

Trying to recapture Steed and any of his partners is pointless. I'd keep the Mother element and the whole quirky organisation element and make them proper agents. Some agents who go around enjoying their job and getting a real kick out of the thrill.

Keep the theme music of course with a very stylish and distinctive title sequence.

You're never going to please everyone with a remake/continuation, but as long as you make a show that a good deal of people want to watch, that's all that matters.
Anne
Little Wonder

Post by Anne »

I think it would be interesting to have a new series, with new actors in the original parts and new stories slightly futuristic.
Anne
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Eric wrote:Leave things as they are I'd say ...
The Avengers was magic in a bottle and it's bl**dy hard to re-create that .
Give me re-runs and then there's still the DVDs , so I'll watch those instead ... :wink:
I concur 100 %....the show was the product of it's era.

you can never go home again...you know ?
skintp
Nutshell

Re: One wish...

Post by skintp »

[quote="kim"]If you could have one wish in regards to bringing The Avengers back to television, what would it be?[/quote]
I'm certain Diana would never return to the show but I'd love to see it return ideally with her and Pat plus any other character actor from the 60s. What a coup that would be!