Ralph Fiennes talks The Avengers on Hollywood ShootOut

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

TheDeeMan wrote:Wow. Angry much?

It seemed to me that he was saying that he realized that the movie failed to meet it's audiences expectations of it. Plain and simple.

It's easy to see that you hate the movie. Watching Ralph on Shootout, it was plain to me that he was sorry he let you down.

Dee
No I'm not angry at all.

Ralph Fiennes has said the audience expectation was a 'superhero film' has he not? I don't buy that. The problem was the movie didn't know what kind of film it was itself. It ended up losing it's way and became a ersatz James Bond ka-boom effort.
DiVicenzo wrote:Also, remember no-one from the film turned up for the 'premiere' of the film in London so he can't have believed in it that much... :?
I didn't think there was a premiere, which was where the alarm balls started that it was going to be a turkey.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It ended up losing it's way and became a ersatz James Bond ka-boom effort.
That's odd, that James Bond thing, you know.
Lots of people think TA was kind of a JB style series.
I always try to talk them out of that.

------
Last watched: What the Butler Saw
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Khell
Thingumajig

Post by Khell »

The only "Avengers"-thing about that movie was Patrick Macnee. It might have been a bit better if Fiennes and Thurman had actually known how to play Steed and Mrs. Peel so that they'd come across as Steed and Mrs. Peel and not two impostors who pretended being Steed and Mrs. Peel. I bet the REAL Steed and Mrs. Peel were kept locked up in some obscure, Avenger-ish location for the whole movie. I only hope they managed to break free and re-claim their rightful places but knowing them, I don't think I have to worry. :wink:

The one thing I keep wondering about the Avengers movie is this: I do know that Fiennes isn't a bad actor. And I also do know, from other movies, that Thurman actually can act, too. So - why the heck didn't they do just that in the Avengers movie? Might not have saved the movie (I didn't particularly care for the story) but, hey, I would have partially forgiven them if they'd had any resemblance whatsoever to the REAL Steed and Mrs. Peel.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I still feel lucky that I was originally able to see the movie without any bias at all, due to the fact that at the time I didn't know there was a TV series called The Avengers, nor that it was a remake of said TV series. So I can say with total honesty that I enjoyed it as a straight-forward action movie, and I followed the plot just fine despite all the editing. It was only after I went back to it after the series that I saw how badly they had adapted the show. It's not a bad movie, just a bad Avengers movie.

I think it would have helped if they hadn't been sort of halfway between trying to reinvent it and copying the show by doing throwbacks to a handful of Emma episodes. And if they'd cast it better. Uma comes off worst--Emma Peel on Valium, as my mother would say.

It's interesting to hear Ralph talk about it all these years later, though. I'm surprised he's willing to discuss it. They were clearly hoping for a franchise, and now Jerry Weintraub has a grip on the rights, so it's doubtful we'll ever see another attempt in the TV or movie industry anytime soon.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
TheDeeMan
Thingumajig

Post by TheDeeMan »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I still feel lucky that I was originally able to see the movie without any bias at all, due to the fact that at the time I didn't know there was a TV series called The Avengers, nor that it was a remake of said TV series. So I can say with total honesty that I enjoyed it as a straight-forward action movie, and I followed the plot just fine despite all the editing. It was only after I went back to it after the series that I saw how badly they had adapted the show. It's not a bad movie, just a bad Avengers movie.

I think it would have helped if they hadn't been sort of halfway between trying to reinvent it and copying the show by doing throwbacks to a handful of Emma episodes. And if they'd cast it better. Uma comes off worst--Emma Peel on Valium, as my mother would say.

It's interesting to hear Ralph talk about it all these years later, though. I'm surprised he's willing to discuss it. They were clearly hoping for a franchise, and now Jerry Weintraub has a grip on the rights, so it's doubtful we'll ever see another attempt in the TV or movie industry anytime soon.
I agree with you. I don't hate TA. I tend to think f it as the Rocky Horror picture Show of an Avengers movie. It's so bad you can't help but like it a little.

As I was saying, TA isn't the Avengers movie Avengers fans were hoping for. I think it's producers wanted to hop on the superhero movie craze of the day kicked off by Burton's Batman and they made a movie about the Avengers without knowing anything about the Avengers. And then you have Connery's meddling. He's killed two movies now with his meddling: TA and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think Ralph is fine as Steed. I think the real travesty is the script (teddy bears and robot wasps?) and the horrible miscasting of Thurman.

Lets hope if ever again our beloved Avengers makes it into theatres it's done by someone who knows a little something about the damned show.

Dee
It's like The Avengers, mixed with Sherlock Holmes, and a dash of James Bond for Flavor.
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem ... series.php
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

TheDeeMan wrote:I agree with you. I don't hate TA. I tend to think f it as the Rocky Horror picture Show of an Avengers movie. It's so bad you can't help but like it a little.

As I was saying, TA isn't the Avengers movie Avengers fans were hoping for. I think it's producers wanted to hop on the superhero movie craze of the day kicked off by Burton's Batman and they made a movie about the Avengers without knowing anything about the Avengers. And then you have Connery's meddling. He's killed two movies now with his meddling: TA and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think Ralph is fine as Steed. I think the real travesty is the script (teddy bears and robot wasps?) and the horrible miscasting of Thurman.

Lets hope if ever again our beloved Avengers makes it into theatres it's done by someone who knows a little something about the damned show.

Dee
I think Ralph was horribly miscast as well. He played Steed too grim--Steed's a cheery smiley sort, even when he's roughing up the baddies. Even TNA Steed was happier than that, despite the fact that his good friends were falling over dead every ten minutes. Ralph Fiennes played him humourless. And Uma looks as though she's going to fall asleep at any moment. Emma's bright-eyed and lively. None of this is particularly problematic when you see them an incarnations of the original characters, but it certainly doesn't do a very good job of capturing the characters as we know them. It's beautifully shot and entertaining enough--it's just not the Avengers.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
TheDeeMan
Thingumajig

Post by TheDeeMan »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:. It's beautifully shot and entertaining enough--it's just not the Avengers.
Can't argue with that.

Dee
It's like The Avengers, mixed with Sherlock Holmes, and a dash of James Bond for Flavor.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

TheDeeMan wrote: I agree with you. I don't hate TA. I tend to think f it as the Rocky Horror picture Show of an Avengers movie. It's so bad you can't help but like it a little.
Woah, steady on there. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that Rocky Horror is so bad it's good. It happens to be (for its budget) a clever pastiche homage with some nice songs.

The tone of the Avengers film is wrong, as evidenced by the gratuitous bad language, totally at odds with the Avengers ethos. Also, Macnee was misused in his 'appearance'. He should've been cast as Mother...
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Frankymole wrote:
TheDeeMan wrote: I agree with you. I don't hate TA. I tend to think f it as the Rocky Horror picture Show of an Avengers movie. It's so bad you can't help but like it a little.
Woah, steady on there. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that Rocky Horror is so bad it's good. It happens to be (for its budget) a clever pastiche homage with some nice songs.

The tone of the Avengers film is wrong, as evidenced by the gratuitous bad language, totally at odds with the Avengers ethos. Also, Macnee was misused in his 'appearance'. He should've been cast as Mother...
He may not have wanted to be Mother. I remember him commenting that, although he liked Patrick Newell personally, he never cared for the Mother character in the original series. Besides, Jim Broadbent was quite good in the role!
TheDeeMan
Thingumajig

Post by TheDeeMan »

Frankymole wrote:

If that's the first time you've ever heard Rocky Horror called "so bad it's good" you really need to get out more. That's the appeal of Rocky Horror. That's why it's a cult classic. Because we the people (Rock Horror fans) have found a love for it that no one else (or not too many else) can understand. They don't have to understand it, we do, and we love it in all it's campy, over the top, godawfulness.

Dee