Who's Steed's best not oficial partner

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:In order for the chemistry to work you need a partnership that is two sides of one coin. Each side counterbalances each others strengths and weaknesses. In order for 'dark-Steed' (as he was in the early days) to work you need a righteous, honorable and obviously good person. Some might find that less interesting than the more intriguing shady mystery man. That role needs to be there because with an enigma we also need someone the viewer has to identify with, who works within the guidelines of the law and dictates what is the correct procedure. That creates conflict which is the basis of all good drama. Two 'enigmas' would be less interesting as two clean cut heroes because you need someone to step outside the rules and someone to disapprove. That why Doctors Keel and King, and later Cathy Gale, had to be whiter than white.

I know nothing about fan mail or popularity but I know both actors got along and Patrick has repeated his admiration for Ian Hendry many times, and Ian is on record in calling Patrick "Avenger-in-chief".
Bang on, Dandy. You can tell they made a conscious effort to do just that--pair up the good Dr. Keel with the shady, occasionally morally dubious, Steed, then letting them spark off one another. Not only do you get all the storylines from having them bash heads, there's also the potential for Keel to get pulled toward the "dark side" on occasion, as it were, having him do things out of necessity that he would never have without his association with Steed. It makes the viewer, if they are "Keel", question whether they'd do the same in similar circumstances. It's an intriguing push-pull, and I dearly wish we had more Keel episodes available so we could enjoy the respective performances.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Thanks, I think that's right. Dark-Steed needed someone to say what he was doing was outside the law otherwise how would we know? It's all about communication and storytelling. Keel might come over as "boring" but that's his role. Otherwise you have two rebels/anti-heroes, no conflict and it's all a bit anarchic.

Steed changes radically when Emma Peel appears and the stories become less noir and more playful. There are further changes in the dynamic with Tara where his role is more mentor-ish. And then further in The New Avengers. Patrick plays it perfectly as he develops the character but still keeping him recognisably 'John Steed'.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Thanks, I think that's right. Dark-Steed needed someone to say what he was doing was outside the law otherwise how would we know? It's all about communication and storytelling. Keel might come over as "boring" but that's his role. Otherwise you have two rebels/anti-heroes, no conflict and it's all a bit anarchic.

Steed changes radically when Emma Peel appears and the stories become less noir and more playful. There are further changes in the dynamic with Tara where his role is more mentor-ish. And then further in The New Avengers. Patrick plays it perfectly as he develops the character but still keeping him recognisably 'John Steed'.
Oh, yes, it wouldn't work at all with two anti-heroes. Then you just have them revelling in their mutual decisions to break the rules, and there's no one particularly "accessible" to act as a benchmark for what's "acceptable."

Steed was a rarity in that he got to evolve as a character more than he really had any right to, given the fairly static characterisations in shows at the time. It's particularly rare to have an actor play a character over such a long period. Steed evolved to compliment each of his partners, but there's also a general sense of him evolving as a person. He starts off by manipulating his partners, then seems to learn that they end up leaving when he doesn't treat them quite as well as he should, and doesn't try to put things over on Emma as a result. Then he starts to take on more responsibility as he gets older, first with Tara, then later in TNA, by which point he's seen it all and knows the score. Considering there was no real "plan", it was quite brilliantly done.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Thanks, I think that's right. Dark-Steed needed someone to say what he was doing was outside the law otherwise how would we know? It's all about communication and storytelling. Keel might come over as "boring" but that's his role. Otherwise you have two rebels/anti-heroes, no conflict and it's all a bit anarchic.

Oh, yes, it wouldn't work at all with two anti-heroes. Then you just have them revelling in their mutual decisions to break the rules, and there's no one particularly "accessible" to act as a benchmark for what's "acceptable."

Steed was a rarity in that he got to evolve as a character more than he really had any right to, given the fairly static characterisations in shows at the time. It's particularly rare to have an actor play a character over such a long period. Steed evolved to compliment each of his partners, but there's also a general sense of him evolving as a person. He starts off by manipulating his partners, then seems to learn that they end up leaving when he doesn't treat them quite as well as he should, and doesn't try to put things over on Emma as a result. Then he starts to take on more responsibility as he gets older, first with Tara, then later in TNA, by which point he's seen it all and knows the score. Considering there was no real "plan", it was quite brilliantly done.
you pretty much said it..
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
This is a testament to Pat's acting and the writers/directors of the show. If we look at shows like Gunsmoke, a twenty year classic in America, Marshall Matt Dillon, after all he went through, was the exact same character he was from episode one to the finale. In fact, I can't think of any other character who changed, grew and evolved as Steed did throughout the series, and also, in the sequel, but they may exist--I am not a TV encyclopedia, but did watch an awful of it in my life! Steed's growth was so logically and sensibly, and subtly portrayed, after all he went through, he did in ways the audience could readily agree with and respect. It really enhanced the show on all levels, I think.

In the height of it, with Steed and Mrs. Peel, we do not have two different characters--a dark Steed and a moral Dr. Keel/King/Gale. Instead we have equality among partners in nearly all ways, and in the ways they differed it was fun to watch (Steed's street smarts vs. Mrs. Peel's book smarts; Steed's traditional focus to Peel's modern flavors, etc.) . Steed did had his dark side, but it was hidden under his Edwardian presence, and very rarely came out (though it was cool when it did!). This equality brought out the full joy fun of the show, the wit and banter, etc, and all we love about it.
Last edited by Mona on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
This is a testament to Pat's acting and the writers/directors of the show. If we look at shows like Gunsmoke, a twenty year classic in America, Marshall Matt Dillon, after all he went through, was the exact same character he was from episode one to the finale. In fact, I can't think of any other character who changed, grew and evolved as Steed did throughout the series, and also, in the sequel, but they may exist--I am not a TV encyclopedia, but did watch an awful of it in my life! Steed's growth was so logically and sensibly, and subtly portrayed, after all he went through, he did in ways the audience could readily agree with and respect. It really enhanced the show on all levels, I think.

In the height of it, with Steed and Mrs. Peel, we do not have two different characters--a dark Steed and a moral Dr. Keel/King/Gale. Instead we have equality among partners in nearly all ways, and in the ways they differed it was fun to watch (Steed's street smarts vs. Mrs. Peel's book smarts; Steed's traditional focus to Peel's modern flavors, etc.) . Steed did had his dark side, but it was hidden under his Edwardian presence, and very rarely came out (though it was cool when it did!). This always the equality to bring out the full joy fun of the show, the wit and banter, etc, and all we love about it.
well stated...you will not see the likes of steed-in today's series..
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Hmmm can't help but think its a pity Second Sight or the Golden Eggs weren't Dr. King episodes instead of perhaps the Sell-Out because his character would fit perfectly into those storylinesand to be fair the Sell-Out doesn't really have a medical subplot which justifies having a doctor in the episode.