The Avengers DVD Set 4 (Series 5) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

We do need complete re-authoring of the complete set with zero pitch variations. I won't buy the set unless it's done.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

It would appear that an annoucement has been made regarding the audio pitch level of sereis 5. This has been posted on Avengers Declassified

The Avengers DVD Set 4 - Series 5 - OPTIMUM ANNOUNCEMENT - REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
From Optimum Releasing:

"AVENGERS SERIES 5 AUDIO ISSUE

It has come to our attention that the audio of the Avengers Series 5 episodes carries a pitch level that some people may feel is too high. We recognise that some viewers are dissatisfied with the current audio as it stands and we have returned to the original material and pitch shifted the audio throughout the episodes to a lower level that has now addressed the concerns raised.

If you wish to replace your current Series 5 discs with the revised audio versions please send all seven discs (separate from the original packaging) with your return address and we will endeavor to return the new discs within two weeks.

Please return your discs to:

The Avengers Series 5
Optimum Releasing
50 Marshall Street
London
W1F 9BQ

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

"...some people may feel is too high". So for those who are aware of it, significant postage costs have to be incurred?

I'll probably wait until they issue fixed disks for sale. If they ever do.

It is a shame that what could have been a glorious showcase edition in Britain of this home-grown show is now on the shelves at less than optimum standard.

Interesting that Optimum say "we have returned to the original material and pitch shifted the audio throughout the episodes to a lower level ". I thought it was Canal+ who did the remastering, including sound, but Optimum say they themselves have "pitch shifted" the originals.

The B&W Emma Peel season wasn't pitch-shifted at all, so it had the standard PAL speedup (4%) which the episodes have always been shown with in the UK. Presumably, though, the colour episodes will feature Emma talking 4% lower in pitch than we're used to.
Last watched: "Concerto"
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

This is all fine and dandy, but what about those of us who went ahead and shipped the set back as defective to where we purchased it? I want a corrected set sooner rather than later. How do we get one without sending the faulty set back to Optimum?
torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

MRotten, while this won't help you or me out, what I would do were I in the UK is this:

Doesn't Optimum have an Amazon Marketplace store? cavalcade-of-dvds?

I would write to them and ask if one were to buy from their Amazon Marketplace presence, which discs you're likely to receive -- the retail or the pitch-corrected release.

There's a chance it's just going to be the retail with no substitutions but one may be able to work it out with them where they can ship you the others instead.

It may be a long shot, but that's what I would try.

(Unfortunately, they don't seem to ship internationally leaving us to find another solution.)
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

Which are the worst affected episodes and approx. time for sound problems?
I have done something silly, I bought series 5 dvd last week from an well known online retailer, it has V2 on the playing side. Can I just live with the sound like it is?
Macfly77
Thingumajig

Post by Macfly77 »

mike654 wrote: I have done something silly, I bought series 5 dvd last week from an well known online retailer, it has V2 on the playing side. Can I just live with the sound like it is?
I can't check as I haven't received the corrected DVD's for series 5 and 6 yet (what with living in the USA and all), but wouldn't V2 mean version 2 (my corrected discs of series four say "version 2" on the edge of the disc), a.k.a. corrected version (in which case you should definitely be able to live with the sound as it is)?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Macfly77 wrote:
mike654 wrote: I have done something silly, I bought series 5 dvd last week from an well known online retailer, it has V2 on the playing side. Can I just live with the sound like it is?
I can't check as I haven't received the corrected DVD's for series 5 and 6 yet (what with living in the USA and all), but wouldn't V2 mean version 2 (my corrected discs of series four say "version 2" on the edge of the disc), a.k.a. corrected version (in which case you should definitely be able to live with the sound as it is)?
Even V3 is uncorrected according to some reports from reliable persons. The corrected disks should contain "V4" it seems.

The worst episode is supposed "The Positive Negative Man". Something to do with a lake scene?
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Not sure this helps but I just emailed Optimum stating that according to reports Series 5 discs replacements are up to Version 4 and this is their reply including why my Disc 1 of Series 6 has been so long in coming as it was signed for by Optimum on Januray 10th and this is their reply:

Dear Mr Clarke

Thank you for your email.

There was a slight delay with receiving the replacement discs however we are working through these now.

Series 5 replacement discs are present in online stock and are recognisable by holding them up to the light data side up V3 is visible on the inside ring of the disc.

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

OK, I'm almost ready to risk buying the Diana Rigg and Linda Thorson series online now.

Is it confirmed that online stock, especially Amazon UK, now has up-to-date corrected disks for all three sets?

I simply can't bear to go through all the trouble and heartache of returns experienced with the first set.