The Avengers - Series 5 + 6 replacement discs

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm always on the verge of buying the box set but then I read Roobarb's and it puts me off again. I suppose this is as good as it will get, even if I invest in Blu ray, so should make the jump sooner than later.

What to do, what to do ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'm always on the verge of buying the box set but then I read Roobarb's and it puts me off again. I suppose this is as good as it will get, even if I invest in Blu ray, so should make the jump sooner than later.

What to do, what to do ...
go blu ray
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but a member on Roobarb's has discovered more faults on the series 4 box set.

Please check these faults on your copies.

Audio on The Master Minds has been pitch corrected. The technique causes the audio to "blip" or "catch", at regular intervals. The problem is especially evident during sustained notes in musical passages. Witness the "catching", "clicking" effect in the music as Steed pulls up in his car and checks out the "trespassers will be prosecuted" sign around the 24-minute mark on the optimum disc, then go and check your contender disc - no "catching".
I'm currently watching season 4. I have the corrected V2 set. I didn't notice anything wrong with The Masterminds or any of the ones I've seen so far, though I'm only halfway through (up to Hour that never was). Has anyone else noticed any of these new faults? Sometimes I wish I'd waited for blu ray, but I'd be interested to see if the blu ray version gets it right first time without the need for a V2 or even a v3. Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Aren't those "new" mistakes only on the German sets, not the UK ones?
Last watched: "Concerto"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Frankymole wrote:Aren't those "new" mistakes only on the German sets, not the UK ones?
Oh, are they :?: I hope so. Rich.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Aren't those "new" mistakes only on the German sets, not the UK ones?
Oh, are they :?: I hope so. Rich.

would be nice if everyone could be on the same page...in regards to putting the material out from the best possible source masters and more...
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Not the ones I've mentioned. The post of the page of the thread is here. Post #161 (Richard Crowther).

It's the next page (post #171) that another poster (alyd) speaks of a fault with the German ones I think.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the link. I must admit I didn't notice anything wrong with The Masterminds on the V2 set I have. Has anyone else :?: I haven't got to the later episodes mentioned yet, so I'll let you know if I see anything amiss there. I've read that Optimum have said there will be no more corrections, so these are as good as they get until blu ray. I haven't got into blu ray yet. How are the blu ray releases of other stuff faring so far re faults :?: Is it a case of more attention being paid to the newer format :?: Rich.
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

From what I understand there are no plans for UK blu ray of the series. I recall in 2010 that the earliest poss date was 2012 which came and went, and I have not seen anything that would indicate they are on their way. Would love to be corrected!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

They'll probably wait until 4K is well-established (knowing Canal) or even until downloads are feasible.

That way all the inevitable waves of errors can be corrected via download reissues, avoiding the bad press of faulty sets out in what computer geeks call meatspace.
Last watched: "Concerto"