Season 4: A creative idea

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

denis wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:When I said I rather do a less well-known episode, I didn't think everyone else would follow suit! :lol:
But I did ! In addition, I like very much Silent Dust and most of the reviews I've read so far are negative. That's why I was tempted to rehabilitate this episode !
Silent dust is SUPERB! Very happy that you will champion this one. :D I wish I had time to write a second review, unfortunately I'll only be able to manage The Cybernauts. Bargain prices is such a legendary episode, and it's also Patrick Macnee's favourite. Hopefully some brave soul will do it proud! Rich.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:
denis wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:When I said I rather do a less well-known episode, I didn't think everyone else would follow suit! :lol:
But I did ! In addition, I like very much Silent Dust and most of the reviews I've read so far are negative. That's why I was tempted to rehabilitate this episode !
Silent dust is SUPERB! Very happy that you will champion this one. :D I wish I had time to write a second review, unfortunately I'll only be able to manage The Cybernauts. Bargain prices is such a legendary episode, and it's also Patrick Macnee's favourite. Hopefully some brave soul will do it proud! Rich.
all of the above//are so good...and are an joy to watch. NEVER get tired watching em.......ever
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I'm giving a talk next weekend on The Town of No Return, an episode I must have watched a dozen times now and you are so right, I never get bored with it. Having been immersed in the Tara King world for a couple of months - which I enjoyed - preparing for this talk reminded me how subtle and witty and noirish the monochrome film season is.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The directing, both for camera/photography and music direction in Season 4 is exemplary, never bettered on TV in my opinion. Perhaps hardly ever bettered in cinema - only things like The Third Man (again noir-ish) can compare. Diana Rigg is acting instead of going through the motions as in her later colour episodes. There's menace a-plenty and the best scripts in season 4 all capture that. Goosebumps time. As "Town" never puts a foot wrong (and the music gets really groovy near the end) I can endlessly rewatch it too. If only someone - anyone - made TV like that today. I'd never go out.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote: Silent dust is SUPERB! Very happy that you will champion this one. :D I wish I had time to write a second review, unfortunately I'll only be able to manage The Cybernauts. Bargain prices is such a legendary episode, and it's also Patrick Macnee's favourite. Hopefully some brave soul will do it proud! Rich.
Another Silent Dust fan here. Macnee riding like a demon, the great William Franklyn doing the suave cad he does best, Jack Watson on sparkling form (he's always so different - in The Living Dead Avengers episode, HTV's "Sky" as a posh nob, and as "Arthur of the Briton"'s best mate and tutor), there is even a hint of jealousy over Steed (who naturally revels in it) as Mrs Peel sizes up her horsey rival. A beautiful-looking episode and some nice ironic humorous touches, as well as a serious ecological message (from "Silent Spring"). Encapsulates every element of the Avengers perfectly. Who wrote it? (*checks*) Ah, Roger Marshall, of course. Well, there you go.
Last watched: "Concerto"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I always put the hallucination bit down to Clemens (unless I'm wrong:)). It's not a favourite but it's very watchable.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Just to say I've written a little over 1,000 words so far. I think The Cybernauts is over halfway completed. Hopefully Rodney, I can get this to you by Christmas. Looking forward to this book :!: Any news on the photos by the way :?: I'm really hoping we can get some rare stills from the 26 episodes in our book. Rich.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'd normally put my hand up for something like this - as evidenced by my website for the show - but I'm gong through some personal stuff right now that is robbing me of time. If nobody's picked up all the remaining episodes, I'll try one in the new year.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

dissolute wrote:I'd normally put my hand up for something like this - as evidenced by my website for the show - but I'm gong through some personal stuff right now that is robbing me of time. If nobody's picked up all the remaining episodes, I'll try one in the new year.
I'm sure there will be some episodes still hanging around and it would be great to have you on board! Six episodes already completed and I look forward to more in the New Year!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Having now completed my own chapters I would say that some episodes can take 2,000 words while others probably only warrant 1,000. I've gone for a critical commentary approach, journeying from teaser to tag, but people should feel free to approach each episode in their own style or way. I'm now busy translating the French chapters, which will appear in both languages.