Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Which it is. We fully agree on that. I really wasn't trying to start an argument: just that I find the Peel era interesting.
It is one of my biggest regrets that we didn't have you on board for Season 4's volume. I would love you to have written a chapter on one of my father's monochrome episodes.
Well when we're all done, just start all over again. :lol:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

I think the writing was better, but the thing I think made it a bit harder to get through, or even get lost in were there were multiple double chapters. Not sure everyone that buys the book would take the time to read both and added to the page/cost I would imagine. Otherwise a very memorable book.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

anti-clockwise wrote:I think the writing was better, but the thing I think made it a bit harder to get through, or even get lost in were there were multiple double chapters. Not sure everyone that buys the book would take the time to read both and added to the page/cost I would imagine. Otherwise a very memorable book.
you would be amazed how rabid fans would literally read and devour every written word..
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

mousemeat wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:I think the writing was better, but the thing I think made it a bit harder to get through, or even get lost in were there were multiple double chapters. Not sure everyone that buys the book would take the time to read both and added to the page/cost I would imagine. Otherwise a very memorable book.
you would be amazed how rabid fans would literally read and devour every written word..
Really? :?: Are you a rabid fan? :lol: What did you like about the repeats?
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:I think the Avengers women are always used/abused by the writers, and by Steed. This is not solely a fault of Season 6.
Yes even perverted buildings abuse them! Just terrible. :wink:
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Dan wrote:I found Anti-Clockwise somewhat hard to get through. I agree with Rodney that the quality of the writing has gotten better with each book but the problem for me concerning Anti-Clockwise was the subject matter. The Tara era has in my opinion only a handful of memorable episodes, such as All Done With Mirrors, They Keep Killing Steed, Take-Over, and The Morning After- the rest are pretty forgetable and consequently not that interesting to read about. My favorite chapter is Frank Hui's on The Morning After. Really brilliant analysis of the relationship between Steed and the character Merlin.
I am laughing as I wonder why you did not take one of your faves.You seem to like the more serious ones. Are you writing for TNA as well? Hope so.

BTW loved your chapters. As Rodney said it is the easiest reading of them all. I still don't understand my own chapters. :wink: Although one can say its speculative, I would say you have a really good read on that Mrs. Peel. I was thinking she is very much like the character Diana Rigg that played her. Wonderful and witty but a bit distant and independent. Although I can't blame her. She has had some real weirdos to deal with in her career. it was bad enough on the show, but real life perverts are another story. I love her line that we can admire her, but just from afar! As far away as possible!
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

The double chapters often come about because a writer pulls out and a couple of other contributors offer to fill in. Personally, I like two takes on the odd episode. Take Forget-Me-Knot in volume 2, where I like it and Sunday can't stand it. Out of 33 episodes, only three doubled up, so I'm not sure I'd call that "multiple". Bernard's chapter was only 600 words so it needed a second taker. And you and Matthew were late replacements for a withdrawing contributor.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I like the two viewpoints on one episode where there are different approaches. It's not always as clear-cut as the pro- and anti- views on some stories in the "About Time" Doctor Who critical analysis volumes; and not as often-consensual as the brief reviews in the Doctor Who Handbook(s). Avengers writers - writers on the subject of The Avengers, I mean - are really individualistic, which makes for an entertaining and comprehensive overview of an era. A rewarding read!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

anti-clockwise wrote:
Dan wrote:I found Anti-Clockwise somewhat hard to get through. I agree with Rodney that the quality of the writing has gotten better with each book but the problem for me concerning Anti-Clockwise was the subject matter. The Tara era has in my opinion only a handful of memorable episodes, such as All Done With Mirrors, They Keep Killing Steed, Take-Over, and The Morning After- the rest are pretty forgetable and consequently not that interesting to read about. My favorite chapter is Frank Hui's on The Morning After. Really brilliant analysis of the relationship between Steed and the character Merlin.
I am laughing as I wonder why you did not take one of your faves.You seem to like the more serious ones. Are you writing for TNA as well? Hope so.

BTW loved your chapters. As Rodney said it is the easiest reading of them all. I still don't understand my own chapters. :wink: Although one can say its speculative, I would say you have a really good read on that Mrs. Peel. I was thinking she is very much like the character Diana Rigg that played her. Wonderful and witty but a bit distant and independent. Although I can't blame her. She has had some real weirdos to deal with in her career. it was bad enough on the show, but real life perverts are another story. I love her line that we can admire her, but just from afar! As far away as possible!
Thanks for the kind words Anti. I am doing a chapter on The Last of the Cybernauts for the TNA book.

The fact that Diana Rigg has always kept Avenger fans at a distance (although being very frustrating for us) sort of confirms for me the similarity between the actress and the character.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Dan wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Anti. I am doing a chapter on The Last of the Cybernauts for the TNA book.

The fact that Diana Rigg has always kept Avenger fans at a distance (although being very frustrating for us) sort of confirms for me the similarity between the actress and the character.
Oh that is just so perfect that you are continuing with the cybernaut theme. I can't wait to hear your take on it! Glad I am not alone on that--Emma being like Diana. Never thought about it much but with your excellent analysis it just made me think about it. I was really struck with that interview she did talking about being literally stalked by fans and then her understandable reaction to want to avoid them. And feel ambivalent towards her audience. Can't recall if you got into this aspect, but I have thought she left the show perhaps in part out of feeling stalked on the show and apparently in real life. Not to mention all the Hitchcock blonde themes that James has brought up about Emma. As much as she did a brilliant job of acting cool, I bet it some of those scenes were quite unpleasant. It's interesting she never really said why she left, other than going onto theatre. Perhaps a reason, perhaps an excuse? What do you think?