Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

kim wrote:All right, I've been chatting with a couple of people and watching this topic very carefuly over the past week or so and am thinking we can make this Avenger's Con a reality.

Sort of.

What I have planned is not a true convention. Such a project requires very detailed planning, tons and tons of money, and a great number of people who would be willing and able to attend as well as part with some hard earned cash. I certainly do not have the means or capabilities to do such an event. If someone else does, super!

For me, the more realistic approach is to do an Avengers Fan Forum get together. This would strictly be for members of this forum and their family or friends.

It would be a three day event in London. The first day would of course be arrival day. Everyone who needs to would settle in to their respective hotels and we would meet for dinner and chat.

The next day would consist of touring some of the filmed sites during the day and a free for all evening so that those who wish to, can visit some of the other sites of London on their own.

The last day would be the big event. Guest speakers, watching a couple of episodes with commentaries from some of those directly involved with the show, a viewing of Avenger's memoribillia, and ending with a dinner/cocktail party.

There are tons and tons of details to be worked out over the next year or so and as of right now, nothing is written in stone. Much of this is going to depend on how many can actually attend. With the world's economy in such horrible shape, what may be realistic now, may not be realistic a year from now, so I can't promise anything, but will keep chisiling away at the details and see what we can do.

If you are interested in attending such an event, you can send me a private message or e-mail. This will give me an idea of just how much real interest there is in this event and I can then go from there.

Hope to see you all in London next year!
Kim
It sounds fantastic! I just hope I'll be able to make it money-wise etc.
Early next year I'm supposed to go to Cairo for 4 months with my uni, which of course is fantastic and I'm already looking forward to it. But that's going to cost me a lot of money, so I hope I'll be able to come to London too after that.
*fingers crossed*
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Doesn't your university cover the costs? I thought Holland was fairly good like that and when I taught at the Free University in Amsterdam there was always money available for trips as long as they could be justified as 'cultural'. Surely The Avengers constitutes 'cultural'?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Rodney wrote:Doesn't your university cover the costs? I thought Holland was fairly good like that and when I taught at the Free University in Amsterdam there was always money available for trips as long as they could be justified as 'cultural'. Surely The Avengers constitutes 'cultural'?

There maybe some taxpayers who would object too that.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

^Yes that too Allard :lol:
Plus it's a 4 month program, they pay for us to be taught at the Dutch-Flemish institute in Cairo, but they don't cover living expenses etc. It's pretty much the same as being at uni in Amsterdam, only they move it to a different location for a few months. So it's still gonna cost me some money.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

avengers fan fest

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's never to late. One day....
Hard to believe, there pretty much hasn't been anything like this, geared for fans of the show...especially in the UK,or France. I would love to attend one..for the chance to see certain talents, buy stuff, etc..

avengers geek ? close....heh heh heh..

think about it...so many shows, over the years, have gone the ' con ' route..
DiVicenzo

Re: avengers fan fest

Post by DiVicenzo »

mousemeat wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's never to late. One day....
Hard to believe, there pretty much hasn't been anything like this, geared for fans of the show...especially in the UK,or France. I would love to attend one..for the chance to see certain talents, buy stuff, etc..

avengers geek ? close....heh heh heh..

think about it...so many shows, over the years, have gone the ' con ' route..
There has been 'The Dead Man's Treasure Hunt' weekend every year for the last (I think) 21 years which absolutely fabulous! People come over from the States; Holland - all over the place :) They have had thew likes of Linda Thorsin and Brian Clemens attend.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

To be fully realistic, The Avengers is a cult classic with a small fan base. The fans may be loyal, but unlike Star Trek or Star Wars, you would never be able to put together enough fans to make a true con worth while.
The initial outlay for such a venture would cost a couple of million dollars at least, something that an organizer would never be able to recoup and with today's economy would fail miserably.

From what I understand, the Deadman's Treasure Hunt is a failry small affair, thereby making it workable and worthwhile (Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm afraid the most that could be hoped for would be a general TV convention or Spy convention that would include the Avengers, but a strictly Avengers con is unprofitable and unrealistic.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

kim wrote:
To be fully realistic, The Avengers is a cult classic with a small fan base. The fans may be loyal, but unlike Star Trek or Star Wars, you would never be able to put together enough fans to make a true con worth while.
The initial outlay for such a venture would cost a couple of million dollars at least, something that an organizer would never be able to recoup and with today's economy would fail miserably.

From what I understand, the Deadman's Treasure Hunt is a failry small affair, thereby making it workable and worthwhile (Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm afraid the most that could be hoped for would be a general TV convention or Spy convention that would include the Avengers, but a strictly Avengers con is unprofitable and unrealistic.
The Dead Man's Treasure Hunt is limited to 40 people and works perfectly. I'm not sure if it could be expanded - maybe it could. But, I'm telling ya it is a wonderfully fun weekend. There is so much to visit in Avengerland and most of it hasn't changed at all! :) The actual treasure hunt starts exactly where the one in the episode starts and the actual hunt tests my grey matter :shock:
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

The Dead Man's Treasure Hunt is limited to 40 people and works perfectly. I'm not sure if it could be expanded - maybe it could. But, I'm telling ya it is a wonderfully fun weekend. There is so much to viist in Avengerland and most of it hasn't changed at all!
Yes, a small, well organized get together like the Hunt would draw in enough people to make it fun and worthwhile.

I posted a note in regards to a get together of sorts and asked that those who were interested to send me a message. To date, I've had four responses out of the 370 plus members of this forum.

While I understand that people would like to see a full scale convention, I've spoken to a few who have stated that it's actually been tried before, but the response was so low that it was given up in the end which tells me that a major event isn't likely to happen.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

kim wrote:
The Dead Man's Treasure Hunt is limited to 40 people and works perfectly. I'm not sure if it could be expanded - maybe it could. But, I'm telling ya it is a wonderfully fun weekend. There is so much to viist in Avengerland and most of it hasn't changed at all!
Yes, a small, well organized get together like the Hunt would draw in enough people to make it fun and worthwhile.

I posted a note in regards to a get together of sorts and asked that those who were interested to send me a message. To date, I've had four responses out of the 370 plus members of this forum.

While I understand that people would like to see a full scale convention, I've spoken to a few who have stated that it's actually been tried before, but the response was so low that it was given up in the end which tells me that a major event isn't likely to happen.
That's sad - isn't it? I don't think I replied to your message but I would be interested so, that's 5 :?