Six or Seven seasons?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Six or seven seasons of the Avengers?

Six, there is only one Emma Peel colour season.
77%
Seven, there are two seasons of Emma Peel colour episodes.
11%
I have another or no opinion on this matter.
11%

Total votes: 53

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: good points...more or less...but you're basically telling me that British production companies, basically cannot support productions of many series..after ' x ' number of episodes, with out American or any other foreign investment..this is not a problem with U.S. companies
Look at it another way - American companies couldn't/can't make these shows. That's why they have to co-produce and give the jobs to the British :)

If American companies could make the shows alone - they would. But they can't, so they don't.

Do you think WGBH Boston could've made Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes? Dream on. There's no way an American company could have made anything like that on its own.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The cost of producing the show on colour film was the really prohibitive cost. Massively more expensive and with the turmoil within ITV companies it wasn't something that they could do without a cash injection.
The US has a huge bankroll and the networks could produce hundred of episodes.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: The US has a huge bankroll and the networks could produce hundred of episodes.
Of what? The Man From UNCLE? There's expertise to pay for too - good writers, inventive ideas, good actors with chemistry. Not something you can churn out of a film laboratory.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: good points...more or less...but you're basically telling me that British production companies, basically cannot support productions of many series..after ' x ' number of episodes, with out American or any other foreign investment..this is not a problem with U.S. companies
Look at it another way - American companies couldn't/can't make these shows. That's why they have to co-produce and give the jobs to the British :)

If American companies could make the shows alone - they would. But they can't, so they don't.

Do you think WGBH Boston could've made Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes? Dream on. There's no way an American company could have made anything like that on its own.

you're missing the point...it's not about how deep the pockets of the American media, are..the thread was about why the series ended in 1969, more or less because ABC-U.S. , CANCELLED the series , and without funding the end of the TARA era happened in May of 1969; the on going question is why, the series couldn't stand on it's own two feet budget wise in the UK, thus needing american funding...and keep in mind, the series was exported in many other countries besides the U.S. and should have been drawing some sort of licensing fees..hence, the need for U.S. funding should have not be so vital..

instead, we get a side trip how WGBH in Boston, couldn't have made Sherlock Holmes.....on wait, we AMERICANS can fund it..well La de dah dah....

typical british denial....
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I already explained why, so did Piers. You asked about funding and we told you. Only co-production can afford to make these series. America didn't even try to make it solo, they didn't have the talent available so they invested in the UK - as they did in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and still do.

The discussion had already moved beyond 1969, we're not interested in rehashing the same old posts over and over again.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I already explained why, so did Piers. You asked about funding and we told you. Only co-production can afford to make these series. America didn't even try to make it solo, they didn't have the talent available so they invested in the UK - as they did in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and still do.

The discussion had already moved beyond 1969, we're not interested in rehashing the same old posts over and over again.
oh really, well thanks for bringing this to my attention, lord, I'm sooo lucky to have you point me in that direction...and one final note, if we're or better yet, Y-O-U- are not interested in re hashing, let alone ANSWERING..then why even bother to answer ? ..btw, America even back in the time frame of the series, and earlier, had both the talent, the means, and budget to do what the Brits can't seem to do...properly fund a series that was enjoyed now only in the UK, but in some cases, the United States as well....bottom line, the avengers ended in 1969, because ABC, etc didn't properly fund the series, this having to rely on American funding....and yeah, the series would have eventually ended, say in 1971, 72, etc....but it didn't...myself, would have loved to have seen the TARA era go another season....instead of ending with BIZZARE.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Blimey, let's keep it civil, shall we!

The series ended because the cost of producing it on colour film was too high for ABC/Iris to do without getting money from overseas networks. Britain is a much smaller market than the USA and advertising revenue was much lower in the UK - largely due to them being limited at the time to 4'35" of advertising per hour. The ITV network stations, when they bought the shows for broadcast, couldn't and wouldn't pay Iris enough to cover the cost of the production. There just wasn't enough revenue to cover the production cost, so shows like this were running at a loss unless they had overseas sales.

In contrast, the US networks and the Hollywood machine are loaded with money raised from advertising and network sales and can produce a ton of shows - and they do!

I don't agree with Franky about the lack of talent in the US, but I think he's getting at the difference in style with the American shows. I think he's saying the US didn't have the local talent that could produce these British-style shows, although they could produce their own local shows brilliantly. I love "Get Smart" and "M.A.S.H.", for instance, but they are very different to UK shows. "M.A.S.H." initially flopped in the UK and Australia because local audiences hated the laughter track, it was unnatural to us as we didn't have that in our own shows.

Of course, a lot of British actors and directors did move out to LA to continue working there, as the UK industry is much more limited in size. Ray Austin & Patrick Macnee among them!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Blimey, let's keep it civil, shall we!

The series ended because the cost of producing it on colour film was too high for ABC/Iris to do without getting money from overseas networks. Britain is a much smaller market than the USA and advertising revenue was much lower in the UK - largely due to them being limited at the time to 4'35" of advertising per hour. The ITV network stations, when they bought the shows for broadcast, couldn't and wouldn't pay Iris enough to cover the cost of the production. There just wasn't enough revenue to cover the production cost, so shows like this were running at a loss unless they had overseas sales.

In contrast, the US networks and the Hollywood machine are loaded with money raised from advertising and network sales and can produce a ton of shows - and they do!

I don't agree with Franky about the lack of talent in the US, but I think he's

getting at the difference in style with the American shows. I think he's saying the US didn't have the local talent that could produce these British-style shows, although they could produce their own local shows brilliantly. I love "Get Smart" and "M.A.S.H
.", for instance, but they are very different to UK shows. "M.A.S.H." initially flopped in the UK and Australia because local audiences hated the laughter track, it was unnatural to us as we didn't have that in our own shows.

Of course, a lot of British actors and directors did move out to LA to continue working there, as the UK industry is much more limited in size. Ray Austin & Patrick Macnee among them!

good points...still, the series was exported to other Euro markets..which They got monies for licensing ...How many markets was the show seen / sold at it's peak with Tara ? those number alone, should have at least allow a 8th season..before American money added to the budget...but really it's moot point now...as what happened happened..and ended in 1969..

and yeah, there's some decent even classy american programming being done, thru both the commercial networks (ABC/CBS'NBC) plus HBO, PBS, Cinemax, etc....stuff like playhouse 90, etc....as well as the usual trashy programming as well........and not only did Macnee moved to the states, to live and get acting work, he become a U.S. Citizen as well....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I have since found a listing that has "Split!" broadcast in the USA on 10 April 1968.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:

you're missing the point...it's not about how deep the pockets of the American media, are..the thread was about why the series ended in 1969, more or less because ABC-U.S. , CANCELLED the series , and without funding the end of the TARA era happened in May of 1969; the on going question is why, the series couldn't stand on it's own two feet budget wise in the UK, thus needing american funding...and keep in mind, the series was exported in many other countries besides the U.S. and should have been drawing some sort of licensing fees..hence, the need for U.S. funding should have not be so vital..

instead, we get a side trip how WGBH in Boston, couldn't have made Sherlock Holmes.....on wait, we AMERICANS can fund it..well La de dah dah....

typical british denial....

WGBH couldn't produced any thing of merit (i.e. sherlock holmes, etc) is utter rubbish. I'm laughing at just how absurd that comment was....and WGBH, or any other PBS or NPR station in the U.S. is perfectly capable of producing such quality programming....as the same goes for the networks, HBO, etc...they like their UK counterparts, are also guilty of producing some low brow programs as well...