Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
sivvy
White Dwarf

Post by sivvy »

Another giveway that Steed & Emma 'did it' that I've not seen mentioned is in Death at Bargain Prices.

In the 'Mrs Peel is in ladies underwear' bit Steed looks down Emma's blouse. I don't think in 1964 a gentleman would do that to 'just' a good friend
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

In the 'Mrs Peel is in ladies underwear' bit Steed looks down Emma's blouse. I don't think in 1964 a gentleman would do that to 'just' a good friend

Well, as Steed says to Purdey in "Eagle's Nest", when it comes to women, he's not much of a gentleman! ;-)

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

He is no :D :D gentleman, when he is looking at some parts of Cathy's anatomy.
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

ischtar

Post by ischtar »

I just re-watched "The forget-me -knot":cry: :cry: , Steed is so sad, when Emma is leaving...

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... /lost2.png
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... teed01.png
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

ischtar wrote:I just re-watched "The forget-me -knot":cry: :cry: , Steed is so sad, when Emma is leaving...

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... /lost2.png
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... teed01.png
I've always thought that scene was more between McNee and Rigg than between Steed and Mrs. Peel.
Mona

Post by Mona »

I've always thought that scene was more between McNee and Rigg than between Steed and Mrs. Peel.

Dan, I'm sure you meant "Macnee".

The feeling of immense loss was between both pairs of people both--Pat and Diana and absolutely Steed and Mrs. Peel.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
lotsofbrolly
Nutshell

Post by lotsofbrolly »

I agree Mona, the fact that you can see the emotion in their faces speaks volumes to me. It certainly wasn't written to be as emotional as it was. (see The Avengers and Me book for references to the script!)

Mrs Peel was supposed to be excited to see her husband, but saying goodbye to Steed, she could hardly get her words/lines out. And Steed didn't/couldn't even say goodbye, that shows real emotions in my perspective at least.

Poor Pat and Di though, you can really feel the tension in the room in that scene also.

As someone on the forum once said, "its all in their eyes".

My two pence worth ("my two cents worth" translation for those Americans ;-) )

Lots of brolly

Anne xxx
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

The saddest part for me is that it didn't have to happen. If Rigg had been treated well by those running the show, maybe she would have stayed on another season. As it was, they accelerated her leaving by mistreating her. A show that was known for treating women as equals unfortunately wasn't that way behind the scenes.

Still, maybe it was time for a change. Linda Thorson came along and breathed new life into the show. I love many of the Season 6 episodes with the fresh "new girl".
Mona

Post by Mona »

What I think was the absolute worst part of Mrs. Peel leaving was how disrespectful to Steed the writers/producers fashioned the end. During the entire run of The Avengers, we saw this amazingly unique, handsome, charming man, John Steed, one of a kind, cunning and sweetly eccentric, and seeing the ridiculous nature of Mr. Peel mimicking Steed was really awful, and even insulting to all the effort Pat put into creating Steed.

We have two choices seeing Peter Peel picking up Emma:

1. Peter Peel really DID look like Steed, dressed like him, and drove the same eccentric car--so Steed was hardly unique at all, just one of a typical type of Englishman, and we have to wonder if Mrs. Peel hung around him merely because he was a duplicate for her missing husband.

2. As per a graphic comic novel, Peter was a nasty chap who looked completely different than Steed and just played a joke on Steed by mimicking him when he picked up his wife, pissing off Emma as they drove away. (I like this version better).

But, the writers/producers, as we know through interviews, went with #1. Ultimately, reducing a saddened Steed to some copy of Peter Peel in this good-bye scene, is one of the worst aspects of the show for me.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk