The Avengers DVD Set 4 (Series 5) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Franky - when I sent the above reply from Optimum to Amazon and Play - Amazon have come back to me with the following:

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk with your query

In order to address this query efficiently, we will need to carry out a physical check of the item in our Fulfilment Centre.

I have therefore requested that our inventory of "The Avengers - Series 5 [DVD] [1966]" be examined by a member of our Fulfilment Team.

I will contact you back on or before February 18, 2011 with an update on this query.

We endeavour to complete our research in a timely manner.

PS: 'Fulfilment Team' :lol:
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Frankymole wrote:OK, I'm almost ready to risk buying the Diana Rigg and Linda Thorson series online now.

Is it confirmed that online stock, especially Amazon UK, now has up-to-date corrected disks for all three sets?

I simply can't bear to go through all the trouble and heartache of returns experienced with the first set.
Although you do get some nice dvd cases when you do change your discs!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

DiVicenzo wrote:Franky - when I sent the above reply from Optimum to Amazon and Play - Amazon have come back to me with the following:
Thanks, DiVicenzo. I await their results with bated breath!
Last watched: "Concerto"
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Frankymole wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:Franky - when I sent the above reply from Optimum to Amazon and Play - Amazon have come back to me with the following:
Thanks, DiVicenzo. I await their results with bated breath!
Me, three. Even though Optimum did say the sets would be correct in the New Year, it would be good to get some added assurance that they could be purchased safely now. I'm a bit torn, as I'm now missing just Series 5, and then there's that gargantuan box set with the extra disc lurking around the corner....
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Alan says the completed box set of all the episodes + disc of extras should be fault free. And I'm waiting for that. £135 at Amazon at the moment.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Alan says the completed box set of all the episodes + disc of extras should be fault free. And I'm waiting for that. £135 at Amazon at the moment.
HELP!!!
I am in a quandary! :? :? I'm still waiting to buy The Avengers on dvd. I am tempted to buy the complete box set, but all these faults!!! :shock: :shock:
Please bear with me while I say, The Avengers is and will always be my very favourite series of all time, and all I want is a collection of these wonderful episodes with no faults to distract me. I have a few dvd sets at home from the 60s (Star Trek, Man in a suitcase, Bewitched, etc.), all of them faultless. So why is The Avengers subjected to so many faults. I haven't seen these new dvd sets, I'm only going by all the complaints I've read on here and amazon. I'm sure optimum are trying, but out of sync episodes isn't good, and now I hear that every new scene on the dvds is greeted with an intrusive flickering on the screen. Are these faults really that noticable? I'm really put off buying them at all? How do these new sets compare to the old dvd sets? I didn't hear talk of any faults with those? Is it better to buy the old sets?
Could someone give some advice as to what a true fan can buy for the best? :?
Thanks, Richard.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

My opinion, for what it's worth, is 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me'.

I went through the palava of exchanging the first set and I swore I wouldn't go through all of that again. So now I'm just being patient and waiting for the dust to settle to see what the final position is.

I have all the episodes to watch and I'm happy with those until Optimum have sorted everything out to my expectations.

There's no way I'm going to fret about things, return discs, send off emails, etc for false securities and half-apologies. I'm going to wait until people say it's safe to buy the discs and then jump in.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:My opinion, for what it's worth, is 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me'.

I went through the palava of exchanging the first set and I swore I wouldn't go through all of that again. So now I'm just being patient and waiting for the dust to settle to see what the final position is.

I have all the episodes to watch and I'm happy with those until Optimum have sorted everything out to my expectations.

There's no way I'm going to fret about things, return discs, send off emails, etc for false securities and half-apologies. I'm going to wait until people say it's safe to buy the discs and then jump in.
Absolutely spot on. I'm doing the same thing. I've got the Contender DVDs, I have the two new Cathy Gale sets to keep me going for months or years, and I can wait with delicious anticipation for the extras as long as it takes.

I hadn't heard about "out of sync" episodes or scene changes having "an intrusive flickering on the screen". Those are very worrying as I don't think they've even been raised as issues to be fixed. The random brightness changes on "Legacy of Death" look like they're not going to be fixed either.

Might even save some money as prices drop, and certainly on the postage I had to shell out last time!!
Last watched: "Concerto"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Franky, what did you think of the contender dvd sets. Did you buy all of the Emma and Tara episodes? Were there any faults with them? I'm not sure whether to buy them off ebay instead of these new sets. There does seem to be a few problems with Optimum's quality control dept, which is a real shame. Thanks, Rich.
mike654
White Dwarf

Post by mike654 »

As I raised the issue about a 'flicker' at the top of the screen of the black and white series 4 optimum set. I must say the picture quality of series 4 & 5 is very good. I also bought the series 5 contender dvds and these optimum releases are much better quality.

There is no flicker on series 5 dvds
Last edited by mike654 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.