The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

IMPORTANT!

Post by Alan »

Optimum have very kindly sent me a complimentary copy of this boxset which arrived a couple of hours ago, so the least I can do is say that buying it is completely safe to purchase.

I've checked all the version numbers and can confirm that all the appropriate discs are the corrected ones.

Also - importantly, Legacy of Death has been re-transferred and is now fine. It no longer exhibits the luminance problems it previously did (and the disc is a 'V2'). Hopefully, there will be news from Optimum about replacements for previous purchasers soon.

One confusing aspect to this set is that the Season 1 and Season 2 discs are labeled 'Series 1 Disc 1', 'Series 2 Disc 1' on the package but are labeled 'Disc 1' and 'Disc 2' on the actual discs. Therefore Series 2 Disc 7 is labeled 'Disc 8'. Not a massive problem, but enough to confuse.
Last edited by Alan on Fri May 13, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: IMPORTANT!

Post by Mona »

Alan wrote: One confusing aspect to this set is that the Season 1 and Season 2 discs are labeled 'Series 1 Disc 1', 'Series 2 Disc 1' on the package but are labeled 'Disc 1' and 'Disc 2' on the actual discs. Therefore Series 2 Disc 7 is labeled 'Disc 8'. Not a massive problem, but enough to confuse.
Thanks for the report, Alan. Good thing the discs are all corrected but re: the above--Wow, quality control at Optimum seems to be continually awful. I mean, they are just fixing a massive quality fiasco and then can't label discs coherently to the outside boxes. I would fire the head of that department!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Alan wrote:Optimum have very kindly sent me a complimentary copy of this boxset which arrived a couple of hours ago, so the least I can do is say that buying it is completely safe to purchase.

I've checked all the version numbers (as Shosanna kindly has also) and can confirm that all the appropriate discs are the corrected ones.

Also - importantly, Legacy of Death has been re-transferred and is now fine. It no longer exhibits the luminance problems it previously did (and the disc is a 'V2'). Hopefully, there will be news from Optimum about replacements for previous purchasers soon.

One confusing aspect to this set is that the Season 1 and Season 2 discs are labeled 'Series 1 Disc 1', 'Series 2 Disc 1' on the package but are labeled 'Disc 1' and 'Disc 2' on the actual discs. Therefore Series 2 Disc 7 is labeled 'Disc 8'. Not a massive problem, but enough to confuse.
Hoorah! Terrific news Alan! Right ... that's the set for me then! :)

All the best

Andrew
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

I can also confirm that Legacy Of Death has been fixed on this complete set. I've just watched the opening 20 minutes and all is fine. As Alan pointed out the disc is labelled as V2, so I would hope that this disc will be made available to people who have purchased Series 6 separately and have the problem. As I have all the individual sets as well as the Complete Anniversary set, I would like to replace the defective disc if possilble.

Can anybody shed any light on the fact that on Play.com & HMV they were listing a Titan Avengers 50th Anniversary DVD Booklet & Diana Avengers Comic Strip Booklet on the list of Bonus Features. Are these available as PDF files on one of the discs? They do not appear to be present on the Bonus disc itself, and no booklets were included in the set apart from a list of the episodes.
:?
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Mona wrote:
Alan wrote: One confusing aspect to this set is that the Season 1 and Season 2 discs are labeled 'Series 1 Disc 1', 'Series 2 Disc 1' on the package but are labeled 'Disc 1' and 'Disc 2' on the actual discs. Therefore Series 2 Disc 7 is labeled 'Disc 8'. Not a massive problem, but enough to confuse.
Thanks for the report, Alan. Good thing the discs are all corrected but re: the above--Wow, quality control at Optimum seems to be continually awful. I mean, they are just fixing a massive quality fiasco and then can't label discs coherently to the outside boxes. I would fire the head of that department!
Let's not overreact please, Mona.

The reason for this is that the disc labels are the ones from the standard season sets, hence the Season 1+2 discs are labelled Discs 1-8 as before. The packaging breaks things down into Seasons and numbers the discs within the seasons. It's a minor oversight - not "awful".

It's not going to spoil anyone's enjoyment.
Last edited by Alan on Fri May 13, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Tara46 wrote:Can anybody shed any light on the fact that on Play.com & HMV they were listing a Titan Avengers 50th Anniversary DVD Booklet & Diana Avengers Comic Strip Booklet on the list of Bonus Features. Are these available as PDF files on one of the discs? They do not appear to be present on the Bonus disc itself, and no booklets were included in the set apart from a list of the episodes.
I think they were *considered* at one stage, and it looks to me that Play and HMV have got hold of information when the box was at a formative stage.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Alan wrote:
Tara46 wrote:Can anybody shed any light on the fact that on Play.com & HMV they were listing a Titan Avengers 50th Anniversary DVD Booklet & Diana Avengers Comic Strip Booklet on the list of Bonus Features. Are these available as PDF files on one of the discs? They do not appear to be present on the Bonus disc itself, and no booklets were included in the set apart from a list of the episodes.
I think they were *considered* at one stage, and it looks to me that Play and HMV have got hold of information when the box was at a formative stage.
Thanks Alan for the info. :D
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mona wrote:Thanks for the report, Alan. Good thing the discs are all corrected but re: the above--Wow, quality control at Optimum seems to be continually awful. I mean, they are just fixing a massive quality fiasco and then can't label discs coherently to the outside boxes. I would fire the head of that department!
You think that's bad disk labelling, take a look at this (halfway down page):
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale1-11.htm
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Frankymole wrote:You think that's bad disk labelling, take a look at this (halfway down page):
http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale1-11.htm
That's pretty bad, yes!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Whoever looked at the menu would have to have a Big Think about where to look for the Traitor in Zebra.

Thanks for taking the time to check the box set over. It looks like we're pretty much out of the woods (like Emma in Murdersville?)...
Last watched: "The Charmers"