Joanna and the Gurkhas

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a15 ... ty-pm.html

Joanna just pipped to the post!
Simon Cowell? SIMON COWELL? :shock:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Joanna has worked wonders with this campaign, which is a deserving one. She's a national treasure.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

kim wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a15 ... ty-pm.html

Joanna just pipped to the post!
Simon Cowell? SIMON COWELL? :shock:
I know, shocking! :shock:

And again, Perez Hilton showes his love for Joanna :D
http://perezhilton.com/2009-05-21-patsy ... -her-peeps
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Alan wrote:Joanna has worked wonders with this campaign, which is a deserving one. She's a national treasure.
It is amazing what one person can do when led by their convictions. While she states that she doesn't want to run for government office, she would make a wonderful leader for human rights.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

She would. She seems to do well whatever she applies herself to - she's a great role model.

I'd hate her to do anything that distracts her from acting though - guess I'm selfish.

I also suspect there will be a queue of people asking her to figurehead their pet campaigns and I hope she's protected from that.

She needs a holiday. :D
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I'm not a fan of celebrity politics, but Joanna was absolutely right on this one issue and politicians could learn a thing or two from her.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The Prime Minister's office has responded to the petition - well done all who signed it!!

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19389
Last watched: "Concerto"
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Video:
Phil Woolas meets Purdey

Article (Himalayan Times)
KATHMANDU: Euphoric Gurkha veterans and their families categorically call themselves great admirers of model-turned English actress Joanna Lumley for her tireless support to the one and half decade of legal battle against the British government. They are obliged to Lumley, 63, who is also popularly known a human rights defender, for helping them end the British government's unfair treatment of the Gurkha heroes for centuries.
The British government on May 21 officially decided to allow Gurkha war veterans, who retired before 1997 with at least four years' service to settle in the United Kingdom. Had Lumley not taken up the cause, the Gurkhas would probably not have been relieved, until too late.
Although Lumley is a towering personality in the British entertainment world, she is best known for her support of Gurkhas. Krishna Kumar Rai, acting president of Gurkha Army Ex-Servicemen's Organisation (GAESO) called on the Government of Nepal to confer Lumley the highest civilian award to recognise her contribution to Nepal and the entire Nepali people. "She backed the thousands of Gurkha veterans to press the British government to surrender to the Nepali people. The government should do the necessary groundwork to honour Lumley since this success is associated with national prestige,” reasoned Rai, adding that she unquestionably deserved the recognition.
He said that plans were afoot to formally call on the government to honour Lumley. Queries may arise as to why Lumley showed up in the frontline. The reason is, her father Major James Rutherford Lumley, served in the 6th Gurkha Rifles, a regiment of the British Indian Army. During the World War II, Mr Lumley was entrusted with leading Gurkhas in a battle against Japanese forces at a command post in Burma. When the ground battle was at its climax, he was badly hit by a bullet from the enemy side. Tul Bahadur Pun, who was later conferred with the Victoria Cross (VC), rescued his commander putting his own life on the line and rushed him to the medical post.
One day, Lumley stumbled on a diary left by her father after his natural death. All these accounts were recorded in the diary. "Nepali Gurkhas are loyal, honest and gallant soldiers. Had it not been for Tul Bahadur Pun, the enemies would have eaten me alive in the battlefield", Rai quoted the diary as written by Major Lumley. It was the diary that inspired Lumley to fight on behalf of the Gurkhas.
She calls VC Pun her father figure. Acting president Rai said, "We will invite her to Nepal to honour her on our own if the government pays no heed to the matter".
Meanwhile, Universal Society of Hinduism in the UK has joined the campaign urging the Government of Nepal to honour Lumley with the highest civilian award. She is also a recipient of the Padma Awards, the highest civilian award in India, for her human and animal rights campaigns. Lumley is reportedly in line to receive a damehood from the British government.
http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNe ... d=Njk4OQ==
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Thanks for that Philippa! That video is superb!!!!
Also, I am not sure if I mentioned this but we could create a petition at the 10 Downing Street website for Joanna to recive a Damehood!
If someone wants to write a short 'why Joanna should be given a Damehood' paragraph I don't mind creating the petition.... :)