Dutch DVD releases

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

Allard wrote:
Norbert wrote:In series 4, the titles on the Dutch DVDs are in French! One episode of series 5 - THE FEAR MERCHANTS - is cut by five minutes.

On my Dutch DVD The Fear Merchants does not last less or more than 15 seconds then all the other Emma Peel colours.
http://www.dvd-home.nl/review/divers/av ... erstv1.htm
Op deze DVD staan de volgende afleveringen:

Episode 1: From Venus With Love, (49.15 min.) - 1e TV-uitzending: 14-1-1967
Mrs Peel en Steed onderzoeken een aantal zeer onverklaarbare doden. Dit zijn astronomen, die allen geïnteresseerd zijn in de planeet Venus. Ze zijn allen dood neergevallen, tijdens hun nachtelijke kijkje naar Venus. Is de planeet de doodsoorzaak? Mr. Steeds meld zich aan as lid van de Britse Venus vereniging, terwijl Mrs. Peel achter een ongeïdentificeerd, vliegend object aangaat.

Episode 2: The Fear Merchants, (44.23 min.) - 1e TV-uitzending: 21-1-1967
Een aantal mensen uit dezelfde branche worden op vreemde wijze allemaal gek en komen in een inrichting terecht. Steed gaat bij de laatst nog gezonde persoon uit die branche langs om te kijken wat er aan de hand is. Mrs. Peel begeeft op gevaarlijk terrein…

Episode 3: Escape In Time, (49.22 min.) - 1e TV uitzending: 28-1-1967
Er verdwijnen allerlei criminelen op mysterieuze wijze. Steed en Mrs. Peel komen erachter dat de personen die verdwenen allen met een pluche beest een bepaalde route aflegden. Mr. Steed en Mrs Peel besluiten hetzelfde te gaan doen. Dit echter niet zonder gevaar voor eigen leven.
In an old forum - no longer existant - a Dutch or Belgian fan wrote that this episode is five minutes shorter than the others. Perhaps, the disc was pressed again including the complete episode.
Rose: Dorothy, you are - what we call in news business - a hot story.
Dorothy: And you are - what we call in revenge business - next.
(The Golden Girls)
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

the_e wrote:thanks for the other link, I don't speak french though.
The scenes from the episodes are in English. 8)
Rose: Dorothy, you are - what we call in news business - a hot story.
Dorothy: And you are - what we call in revenge business - next.
(The Golden Girls)
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

the_e wrote:I know it is hard to accept as a hard fledged fan Norbert, but it actually won't matter to me that much if the titles are in french. It would be nice to have a perfect edition, but I'm not willing to pay a high premium for it.

are there different dutch releases?

The offer I wanted to get is the one you posted a link to, now is that the one you've got Allard?

Can you point me to the new UK release? I've looked through amazon.co.uk, but there are just so many differnt versions...

thanks for the other link, I don't speak french though.

Well yes and no, only A-Film has published the Avengers in the Netherlands. They started with the Peel colours and the Tara King's in series of 4 (Peel colours) and 5 (Tara Kings) DVD boxes each containing two DVD's. These have been republished in one large box, so one whole season in one DVD set. Seasons 2, 3 and 4 have only been published in one DVD box for a whole season.

The Peel colours and Tara Kings I own in the old version so I can't tell you if the discs are different, because I saw no need to buy the new DVD sets when it's the same episodes.

Please post the link your asking me about again, so I know which one you were talking about.

Amazon links to the new British release:
Season 2 (and 1):http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Surviv ... 549&sr=1-1
Season 3:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-3-DVD- ... 549&sr=1-2
Season 4:http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... 557&sr=1-3
Season 5:http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... 557&sr=1-2
Season 6:http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... 557&sr=1-1

Without doubt these are the best and most complete Avengers DVD's ever, but they come with a price to match.
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

thank you for the links!

Whooow, ~250 GBP for the set is a bit steep.

The release I'm talking about is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVENGERS-Comple ... 597&sr=1-2

100 quid with shipping sounds good...
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

is that the release you've got Allard?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Well I did not buy it as one set.

From this I only really own the Green Season 3 set.

Season 2 (Yellow) I own in a more sturdy box.

Season 5 (Red) I own in four 2-DVD sets, and not this whole season in one box set.

Season 6 (Blue) I own in five 2-DVD sets, and not his whole season in one box set.

But as said before I guess that the DVD's are the same, the packaging has just changed. I bought season 5 and 6 in 2004/2005 and in 2008 these whole seasons in one box on the image were reissued.
Season 2 was published in 2007 in a hard board box with 7 slimline DVD cases, that's the one I own. You will most likely get a thinner box with 4 slimline DVD cases, but with just as many discs.

Season 4 I do not own, I already had the British release and the Dutch release was cut and with French titles.

So basically, I assume that I own exactly the same DVD discs as on the image but in different packaging.
I hope this clarifies things.
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

Thanks a lot Allard,

then I'll go for it :)
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

Hi Allard,

I got them just now, shipping from NL to Germany is really fast :)

I will look into them right now, just a quick update. All seasons are in slimcases except the Color Emma Peel's. They are in regular size DVD-cases.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy theese now.. :D
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

That's actually quite good. The Tara King cover designs are quite dull, but the Peel colour have lovely artwork on the back, that you don't get (as much) on the small box.

Hope you enjoy it. Just a bit of advise, pick a season and watch half a dozen (at least) of those and then go on to another season and watch half a dozen of those. It will give you the chance to get into an era, if you keep hopping from season to season it will all become one large block in your memory. If you group it, it will give you chance to get to know an era well.
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

Now that you mention it, yes they are not as dull as the rest.
I had anyway planned to watch them in order, at least as much as possibly. I don't think I'll be able to watch all Cathy Gale Episodes though, before I watch an Emma Peel or two. But I'm anyway used to b&w and the style of tha day. It's rather modern in compariosn to for example woman in the moon from Fritz Lang in 1929 which I watched recently.

Mr Teddy Bear was good now on to Propellant :D