Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Regardless of the Season 6 chaos, The Avengers had tackled most things in most ways. It had also run the entire decade. There is a perfect symmetry: birth of the 60s, birth of The Avengers; death of the 60s, death of The Avengers.
Sure, it could have continued, but less is more, in my view.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I've finally found time to start reading Anticlockwise after it's been waiting patiently on the bookshelf :!: Currently up to Legacy of death. It's great to see how positive most of the chapters are. :D I've loved this season ever since Channel 4 broadcast it in 1983. Well, 28 of the episodes anyway. Only 5 are below par in this wonderfully diverse season. A great read so far. After reading the 2 chapters on False witness (one of my fave episodes) it makes me realise what an underrated classic it is. Makes me want to watch the whole season again :!: I'll report back when I've read the whole book. Rich.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Good to hear from you, Rich. I still think it would have been fun to get your actor's viewpoint of the show in our fifth and final volume.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Rodders wrote:Good to hear from you, Rich. I still think it would have been fun to get your actor's viewpoint of the show in our fifth and final volume.
Thanks Rodney. I did enjoy writing the chapters for the first 3 books. And reading everyone else's :!: I've had so little spare time this year, so sadly had to retire after book 3, which I've only now had time to read. Halfway through and some very interesting essays here. I did enjoy JZ's They keep killing Steed. The thing that has struck me the most has been the enjoyment most contributors have had from season 6. I was expecting a few harsh words here and there, but then I'm still only halfway through. :) Rich.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

About 3/4 of the way through now. I enjoyed reading another point of view, namely Sunday's take on Fog. Now it would be a boring world if we all thought alike, so I welcomed a chapter like this. I can see why Tara is not appreciated by fans of Cathy and Emma for all the reasons mentioned in Sunday's chapter. However, I do rate Fog as an Avengers classic. It is not typical of the Avenger's style in many ways, as were a good many season 6 episodes such as Look stop me and Take over. There were extreme styles, and bizarre one-off standalone episodes to be found in season 6, and that is why I love this season. Fog has a unique flavour. I love the artificial theatricality, the sets, the costumes and the fake fog. I would rate it as a top 5 episode from season 6. 8)
Looking forward to reading more differing opinions on this, the one season guaranteed to divide opinion. Rich.