Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mike Gambit
Thingumajig

Post by Mike Gambit »

Avengerholic wrote:
Mike Gambit wrote:I would definitely prefer at least some TNA content - that could sway it for me.
Well in that case I'd have to insist on some movie content too then :lol:
Well, I've no problem with that. Quite enjoyed the movie (if I didn't try to compare it to either new or old), nor the actors to the originals...
"My LADS...! All my Lads DEAD!... Now WHO would do THAT...?"
last watched: "HOUSE OF CARDS"
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Mike Gambit wrote:Quite enjoyed the movie (if I didn't try to compare it to either new or old), nor the actors to the originals...
A very sensible approach :wink:
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Mike Gambit wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:
Mike Gambit wrote:I would definitely prefer at least some TNA content - that could sway it for me.
Well in that case I'd have to insist on some movie content too then :lol:
Well, I've no problem with that. Quite enjoyed the movie (if I didn't try to compare it to either new or old), nor the actors to the originals...
Easy to do as there is absolutely no comparison...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Mike Gambit wrote:
Avengerholic wrote: Well in that case I'd have to insist on some movie content too then :lol:
Easy to do as there is absolutely no comparison...
Yes, yes I know, I've heard it all before :wink:
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

So what happened to these fantastic ideas? Still in the works?
Rodney wrote:My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
kim wrote:All right, I've been chatting with a couple of people and watching this topic very carefuly over the past week or so and am thinking we can make this Avenger's Con a reality.

Sort of.

What I have planned is not a true convention. Such a project requires very detailed planning, tons and tons of money, and a great number of people who would be willing and able to attend as well as part with some hard earned cash. I certainly do not have the means or capabilities to do such an event. If someone else does, super!

For me, the more realistic approach is to do an Avengers Fan Forum get together. This would strictly be for members of this forum and their family or friends.

It would be a three day event in London. The first day would of course be arrival day. Everyone who needs to would settle in to their respective hotels and we would meet for dinner and chat.

The next day would consist of touring some of the filmed sites during the day and a free for all evening so that those who wish to, can visit some of the other sites of London on their own.

The last day would be the big event. Guest speakers, watching a couple of episodes with commentaries from some of those directly involved with the show, a viewing of Avenger's memoribillia, and ending with a dinner/cocktail party.

There are tons and tons of details to be worked out over the next year or so and as of right now, nothing is written in stone. Much of this is going to depend on how many can actually attend. With the world's economy in such horrible shape, what may be realistic now, may not be realistic a year from now, so I can't promise anything, but will keep chisiling away at the details and see what we can do.

If you are interested in attending such an event, you can send me a private message or e-mail. This will give me an idea of just how much real interest there is in this event and I can then go from there.

Hope to see you all in London next year!
Kim
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's never to late. One day....
don't think there's been one here in the States..unless it was part
of a secret agent con..i.e. BOND, Flint, Prisoner, dangerman, etc

I would go...heck, if only to see what items could be purchased..
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I really don't think an Avengers convention would be feasible. Although I think it is the greatest show ever and certainly warrants a convention all of it's own, fans of the show are not as fanatical in their adoration of it, say compared to Trekkies or Dr Who fans. Sadly I don't think enough people would attend. The nearest thing, Dead man's treasure sounds great fun though. I have never attended one, but have enjoyed reading about some of your exploits.
I did attend one tv convention back in 1995 at Caister holiday camp at Great Yarmouth. Several tv stars were there. Linda Thorson was the main star. Brian Clemens was meant to attend but didn't for some reason. Annette Andre (Jeannie Hopkirk) was also there. Kenneth Cope was meant to attend but didn't show. Two big disappointments for me, but at least Linda was great fun to listen to. She was quite flirtatious and had rather a saucy sense of humour! Richard.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:I really don't think an Avengers convention would be feasible. Although I think it is the greatest show ever and certainly warrants a convention all of it's own, fans of the show are not as fanatical in their adoration of it, say compared to Trekkies or Dr Who fans. Sadly I don't think enough people would attend.
How many are needed? "The Prisoner" has a smaller following, yet managed an annual get-together, often with enthusiastic members of the original production on hand. Mind you, Portmeirion, despite being somewhat remote, is perhaps more accessible a focus than anywhere The Avengers could manage (the Elstree studios still being in use by a TV company, and Tyke's Water Lake being both private and not really a sit-down venue!)...
cyberrich wrote:Linda was great fun to listen to. She was quite flirtatious and had rather a saucy sense of humour! Richard.
My kind of lady!
Last watched: "Concerto"
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

bramford wrote:So what happened to these fantastic ideas? Still in the works?
Rodney wrote:My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
kim wrote:All right, I've been chatting with a couple of people and watching this topic very carefuly over the past week or so and am thinking we can make this Avenger's Con a reality.

Sort of.

What I have planned is not a true convention. Such a project requires very detailed planning, tons and tons of money, and a great number of people who would be willing and able to attend as well as part with some hard earned cash. I certainly do not have the means or capabilities to do such an event. If someone else does, super!

For me, the more realistic approach is to do an Avengers Fan Forum get together. This would strictly be for members of this forum and their family or friends.

It would be a three day event in London. The first day would of course be arrival day. Everyone who needs to would settle in to their respective hotels and we would meet for dinner and chat.

The next day would consist of touring some of the filmed sites during the day and a free for all evening so that those who wish to, can visit some of the other sites of London on their own.

The last day would be the big event. Guest speakers, watching a couple of episodes with commentaries from some of those directly involved with the show, a viewing of Avenger's memoribillia, and ending with a dinner/cocktail party.

There are tons and tons of details to be worked out over the next year or so and as of right now, nothing is written in stone. Much of this is going to depend on how many can actually attend. With the world's economy in such horrible shape, what may be realistic now, may not be realistic a year from now, so I can't promise anything, but will keep chisiling away at the details and see what we can do.

If you are interested in attending such an event, you can send me a private message or e-mail. This will give me an idea of just how much real interest there is in this event and I can then go from there.

Hope to see you all in London next year!
Kim
Mmmm...yes and no. Last year, for me anyway, it looked to be financially plausible, but too many things have happened since then for me to make such a trip. And because of that, it makes it nearly impossible to plan and organize a get together.

Does this mean it will never happen? Of course not. Someone else may be able to plan and execute such a get together, or my circumstances may change (keep your fingers crossed that I win the lottery. :lol: ), so it could still happen.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
next thursday
Little Wonder

Avenger fan con

Post by next thursday »

I hope to be in London in Fall of 2011. Any time around then and I'd surely try to get to one or two days or an evening. But I can't afford the trip before then. If I lived in New York or Boston, I'd consider a straffing run 4 day weekend. But it's a 10 hour flight from Florida; adding several hours on either end for the general hassle and it turns into a 20 hour day.
I didn't sell out. I bought in.

I made you a Soul but I ate it.

Science isn't a Belief, it's Understanding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfuso/
http://blogs.delphiforums.com/alfuso/start