Six or Seven seasons?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Six or seven seasons of the Avengers?

Six, there is only one Emma Peel colour season.
77%
Seven, there are two seasons of Emma Peel colour episodes.
11%
I have another or no opinion on this matter.
11%

Total votes: 53

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Interesting. Any gap of longer than 6 weeks seems to be counted as a "new season" or series, when something returns - I recall the second half of Dr Who's 14th season being announced as a "new series" when it came back after a long autumn/fall/winter Christmas break, although these days fans (and BBC commercial releases) count it as one season.

I do like the idea of the 33 Tara episodes and the final 8 Emmas being one humungous season though :) What a way to sign off the series!
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Interesting. Any gap of longer than 6 weeks seems to be counted as a "new season" or series, when something returns - I recall the second half of Dr Who's 14th season being announced as a "new series" when it came back after a long autumn/fall/winter Christmas break, although these days fans (and BBC commercial releases) count it as one season.

I do like the idea of the 33 Tara episodes and the final 8 Emmas being one humungous season though :) What a way to sign off the series!

I CONCUR...GOOD POINT...Always wondered how the Tara era would have progress..had the series enjoyed another season-or-two...
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Frankymole wrote:Interesting. Any gap of longer than 6 weeks seems to be counted as a "new season" or series, when something returns ...
The first series of ITV's Grace has just one episode in the UK!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Intersetingly, France's ORTF2 (2e châine) showed "The Forget-Me-Knot" as the last episode of their series 2 (series 5), although they showed them in a unique order and skipped 9 episodes ... perhaps!

Télévision française was affected by disputes in June & July 1968 and the Swiss papers I've been checking stopped listing their programmes for several weeks, so some of those missing 9 might have been broadcast.
Switzerland saw the lot in the first run on Suisse Romande, January-July 1968.

Suisse Romande showed all but 8 episodes of series 4 in October 1966 - March 67, again apparently doing better than ORTF, which skipped 13, but showed "The Master Minds", which I haven't found in the Suisse Romande broadcasts yet. In 1967, "A Touch of Brimstone" was held back to a Wednesday 10:10pm timeslot, two months afte the previous episode, "The Thirteen Hole" ended the series run on Saturdays nights, spisodes starting between 8:30 and 9:30pm.

The listings are quite annoying because sometimes they say "film policier" instead of the programme title.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

1968 must have a been a great year to live in Switzerland, at least the French side - you had The Avengers on Suisse Romande and ORTF2 and also later on on Suisse Allemantique and Allemange II - you would often have a couple of episodes a week.
Last edited by dissolute on Tue May 17, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

That's fascinating. Maybe they had a genre "slot" for police/crime series, an early version of "stripping"? How did you come across the Swiss tx details?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Interesting. Any gap of longer than 6 weeks seems to be counted as a "new season" or series, when something returns ...
The first series of ITV's Grace has just one episode in the UK!

strange.......why ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:That's fascinating. Maybe they had a genre "slot" for police/crime series, an early version of "stripping"? How did you come across the Swiss tx details?
They certainly did, as The Avengers was replaced by The Saint, The Champions, Dangerman or Department S at various times.

I've been going through theSwiss TX via the archives of L'Express/L'Impartial at http://www.lexpressarchives.ch/Olive/AP ... panel=home and the somewhat easier to navigate Journal de Geneve/Gazette de Lausanne https://www.letempsarchives.ch

I was actually after confirmation of the French TX but when I discovered Switzerland screened most episodes way earlier I started collecting the data.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I bet the Swiss loved The Champions, what with all its "Geneva HQ" scenes! (Filmed in sunny Elstree) :D
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I bet the Swiss loved The Champions, what with all its "Geneva HQ" scenes! (Filmed in sunny Elstree) :D

i bet they did...lol....wondering how complex, etc the swiss were in broadcast circles ?? or did they piggy back off, say thames/BBC/etc ??