Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

MRotten wrote: Mrs. Peel's departure was brilliantly written and presented. As Brian Clemens pointed out, as Mrs. Peel left with a fellow who looked just like Steed, Steed ending up both losing and getting the girl. The Avengers is a happy fantasy, and to have the ending totally downbeat wouldn't have worked at all.
Wow, I'm really surprised to see that a fan believes the ending was "brilliantly written". I guess every opinion abounds on every topic, as the Forum proves!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
ischtar wrote:Image
"Um, I'm up here, Steed!"

Nice pics, ischtar! 8)
Which episode is this picture from?
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

Hi Dan,

the picture is from "What the butler saw", season 4.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

ischtar wrote:Hi Dan,

the picture is from "What the butler saw", season 4.

Thanks Ischtar - Now I remember, it was the scene right after Georgie Porgie's failed attempt to seduce Mrs. Peel.
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

That's a funny scene indeed, Steed outside the room, his ear at the door listening for noises from inside, where "the worst case scenario" could happen... :D
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

I had a new idea, what birthday present Mrs. Peel would get from Steed after the weekend in Paris.

larger one: http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... dayjpg.png
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

Mona wrote:
MRotten wrote: Mrs. Peel's departure was brilliantly written and presented. As Brian Clemens pointed out, as Mrs. Peel left with a fellow who looked just like Steed, Steed ending up both losing and getting the girl. The Avengers is a happy fantasy, and to have the ending totally downbeat wouldn't have worked at all.
Wow, I'm really surprised to see that a fan believes the ending was "brilliantly written". I guess every opinion abounds on every topic, as the Forum proves!

Mona
It was a clever way of dealing with the loss of Emma. Again, I'm agreeing with Brian Clemens. He didn't want to do what most shows do when an actor departs and kill off the character, making everyone sad. Care to suggest a better way of closing out the Peel era?
Mona

Post by Mona »

MRotten wrote:
It was a clever way of dealing with the loss of Emma. Again, I'm agreeing with Brian Clemens. He didn't want to do what most shows do when an actor departs and kill off the character, making everyone sad. Care to suggest a better way of closing out the Peel era?
Well, I don't call it "clever" but somewhat lazy, and disrespectful to the entire Steed character.

It's a good question, how else could it have ended. Here's a couple of ideas. Others may have similar or better ones:
1. Peter Peel doesn't look a THING like Steed, doesn't dress like him, and doesn't drive a Bentley.
2. Emma informs Steed first, in a nice scene, that Peter has returned so Steed doesn't catch it in the paper first and Emma hop over just to say good-bye.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
ischtar

Post by ischtar »

Just a little photo manipulation for an alternate scene to keep the topic running...
Because of the foggy weather Steed was not able not enjoy the view over the four counties in "The Joker", but this view was much better :D :D :D

ImageImage

http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... 728130.png

http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/ ... a80c3d.png
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mona

Post by Mona »

Hey, Ischtar,

Until some mishap occurred with Photobucket, I was happily watching all your excellent photos. I think the perfection poster of Steed was my all-time favorite. That's superb! I'd like to make one and frame it for my study!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk