Brian Clemens

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Hi Rich,
And Soon The Darkness is available on StudioCanal DVD for £4-99 from Amazon - pretty good picture and sound quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soon-Darkness-D ... e+darkness

Another tense thriller in similar vein is Assault (1970) £5-99 with Suzy Kendall and Frank Finlay directed by Avengers director Sidney Hayers.
James
James/Mrs Emma Peel
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks. :) I'll look out for Assault. I've never seen it. I do remember seeing a Clemens-penned film years ago with Mia Farrow, which I think was called Blind Terror. I seem to remember it was very good. Has anyone seen this recently? Is it as good as I remember :?: Rich.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Just watched Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, a Hammer horror from 1971. This film has a big Avengers connection, in that it was written by Brian Clemens and was produced by Clemens and Albert Fennell. The script was understandably quite Avengerish, albeit rather more gory. Visually the episode bore a striking resemblance to Fog. Several Avengers guest stars were also featured in this movie such as Gerald Sim, Philip Madoc and Paul Whitsun-Jones, and in a nice touch all three actors shared a scene together towards the end of the film. It's often shown on the Horror channel. Not a classic Hammer horror, but still worth looking out for.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Just a quick heads up.
For those in the UK who can get the Talking Pictures Channel, today Sat 13/10/18 at 4pm they are showing The Pursuers (1961) which was written by Brian Clemens and David Nichol.

I have never seen it before so will be tuning in.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

hatpeg wrote:Just a quick heads up.
For those in the UK who can get the Talking Pictures Channel, today Sat 13/10/18 at 4pm they are showing The Pursuers (1961) which was written by Brian Clemens and David Nichol.

I have never seen it before so will be tuning in.
An interesting curio, thanks for the tip. Great to see the veteran character actor Cyril Shaps in a major part, I wonder if this was his only leading role? Out of interest, I looked him up on IMDB and was surprised to find that although he'd been in almost very ITC series ever made he never appeared in The Avengers.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

An E-Type Jag reg 140 MPH once owned by Brian Clemens is up for sale at £85, 000. It can be seen with Steed & Emma in a 1965 publicity photo. Originally black it is now a sporty red colour.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

140 MPH is in the car park in "Something Nasty in the Nursery" but it's hard to get a good shot of it.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... ncars3.jpg

I used to think it was in "Dead Man's Treasure painted white but the bluerays show that to be a different car.

(I'm currently updating the car guide of my site!)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Great news, Piers. I will make a look after.

Funny, I'm working on the episode "Something Nasty in the Nursery" right now - I already spent the main layout on Steedumbrella episode page and now I will watch the episode on 4 different prints.
Denis
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

dissolute wrote:140 MPH is in the car park in "Something Nasty in the Nursery" but it's hard to get a good shot of it.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... ncars3.jpg

I used to think it was in "Dead Man's Treasure painted white but the bluerays show that to be a different car.

Oh right, cool. I just happen to know the guy whose selling it. It comes with the 140 MPH number plate used in the show but that plate I believe is not the cars actual reg number.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Last night I watched See no evil, a 1971 film starring Mia Farrow,scripted by Brian Clemens. I recorded it from the excellent Talking pictures channel a couple of months ago but I've only just got round to watching it. I have seen it on TV before, roughly 30 years ago. It's a slow starter, but Clemens did manage to build tension towards the film's climax. I wouldn't rate it as highly as Clemens' previous film, And soon the darkness, which is a bit of a cult classic. I'll let you know if either of these are shown again. Has anyone seen any of Clemens' other film work :?: Many years ago I watched a 1980 horror starring Bette Davis, Watcher in the woods, scripted by Clemens, but it's so long ago I can't remember if it's a good film or not. :roll: The only other Clemens film I've seen is Captain Kronos which wasn't a classic IMHO, but it wasn't a bad film. Rich.