DVD Release in Germany

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Alan wrote:I don't know whether it would be due to repackaging old stock - but I think it's more likely that new discs have been pressed for this edition. I imagine it's also out of a desire to have the sets carrying the StudioCanal name rather than the Kinowelt one.
You're right, Alan, these are new discs - checked. :wink: In this case, I take back my words. :)
Denis
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I presume the old discs would carry the Kinowelt logo on the disc label, so I imagine this is an easy way of checking whether the discs are new or not. If they are, the won't have Kinowelt logos printed on them. :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Alan wrote:I presume the old discs would carry the Kinowelt logo on the disc label, so I imagine this is an easy way of checking whether the discs are new or not. If they are, the won't have Kinowelt logos printed on them. :)
Ha, this is the thing I did not think of. While I saw difference in logos on the boxes, I automatically thought that the disks are identical (I was must to check, but strangely enough I did not have this idea at all - I'm losing my grip :lol: ). Only after your words, Alan, I realized that I had ridiculously missed the obvious thing. :lol:
Denis
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'm good at obvious. You're better at anything else, my friend. :D
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Norbert wrote:Why should Arte broadcast the Gale era? These episodes were never shown in Germany, they are technically poor, a lot of fans who watched some of them do not like these episodes.
Hmmm, I think a lot of fans do like the Cathy Gale episodes. A great deal.

Your average TV viewer may be put of by that type of 'live-to-tape' presentation and the current state of the prints, I agree.[/quote

The Gale pisodes are great fun to watch. They're like live theater , a unique experience. The filmed episodes are like movies, so there's a huge difference between the two.
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

Post by QuiteQuiteFantastic »

MRotten wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Norbert wrote:Why should Arte broadcast the Gale era? These episodes were never shown in Germany, they are technically poor, a lot of fans who watched some of them do not like these episodes.
Hmmm, I think a lot of fans do like the Cathy Gale episodes. A great deal.

Your average TV viewer may be put of by that type of 'live-to-tape' presentation and the current state of the prints, I agree.[/quote

The Gale episodes are great fun to watch. They're like live theater , a unique experience. The filmed episodes are like movies, so there's a huge difference between the two.
I love the Cathy Gale era. In fact, the 3rd and 4th seasons are neck and neck for my favorite of the series. The 2nd season is a bit uneven in my opinion, but I still like it a lot, and many episodes are better than the 3rd season. I would love to see more of the 1st season as well.

Some people are just used to old 405-line videotape productions because they grew up watching it.

Michael
Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers. It's the latest book on both The Avengers and The New Avengers. Available in softcover as of 1st May 2018 on Lulu.com
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

QuiteQuiteFantastic wrote:
MRotten wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: Hmmm, I think a lot of fans do like the Cathy Gale episodes. A great deal.

The Gale episodes are great fun to watch. They're like live theater , a unique experience. The filmed episodes are like movies, so there's a huge difference between the two.
I love the Cathy Gale era. In fact, the 3rd and 4th seasons are neck and neck for my favorite of the series. The 2nd season is a bit uneven in my opinion, but I still like it a lot, and many episodes are better than the 3rd season. I would love to see more of the 1st season as well.

Some people are just used to old 405-line videotape productions because they grew up watching it.

Michael
I agree Michael. I just love Seasons 2 and 3. It's television like we'll never see again.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Finally, found the new box for the Cathy Gale years, edition 2.

Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Recently I ordered the b/w episodes with Emma Peel on DVD at Amazon, I wonder if I get an old edition (Kinowelt) or a new one (StudioCanal). In any case, I have neither one nor the other. :wink:
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Just posted the scans of menu and the ad flyer in the German DVD-edition of the episode "Tunnel of Fear" on Steedumbrella. :)

http://steedumbrella.ru/DVD_Germany_Tunnel_of_Fear.html

Image[/quote]
Denis